Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] How often do new machines come out? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] How often do new machines come out? (/Thread-Equipment-How-often-do-new-machines-come-out)

Pages: 1 2

How often do new machines come out? - geebs - 08-18-2016

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I'm hoping you guys can weigh in on my dilemma. I just finished my assessment for OSA and will be given a prescription for an auto-cpap.

For context, here in Saskatchewan, Canada, there is a government program that provides me with a ResMed S9 Elite for as long as I reside in SK; however, I have to purchase my own: mask, tubing, supplies, and humidifier. When I leave the province (I have to leave in 1-2 years), I'll have to buy my own machine.

I currently have employer health insurance which covers up to $1000 in CPAP equipment or supplies lifetime that I would like to take advantage of.

So, my situation is this... should I:
A) buy a h5i humidifier ($360 CAD local or $250 shipped online) now... and get a complete new system in a year or two when I leave.

B) Or should I just go ahead now and buy my own complete AutoCPAP + Humidifier right now?

In both cases I can use my insurance coverage to offset the total cost...
In A), the total cost is higher, a good chunk of that $1000 coverage is gone. However I am sure to get the latest machine at the time I leave.
In B), the total cost is lower, but I run the risk of there being a newer/better machine coming out before I leave.

After I leave, I don't believe I'll have health insurance coverage from any employer for a while.. so buying a complete setup [/b] I do understand that a newer better machine doesn't make my machine worse but I would like to buy the newest technology if it there is a big jump in tech or decrease in size.

tl;dr:

How long are the release cycles for cpap machines? I know the dreamstation has been released for <1year and the Resmed s10(?) has been out since 2014.

What tends to change from one version to another?
Is there a big new shiny piece of technology that is on the verge of being released? For example, the latest generation takes advantage of GSM and wifi reporting.

I've searched online for information that could help me make this decision but I haven't found anything. Hopefully you very experienced gentlepeople can help fill me in?

RE: How often do new machines come out? - trish6hundred - 08-18-2016

Hi geebs,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions and good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: How often do new machines come out? - geebs - 08-18-2016

Thanks for the warm welcome Smile it's been great so far. feel much better already.

RE: How often do new machines come out? - DariaVader - 08-18-2016

I like B. No mis-matched parts plus, you get to start off with an auto, which IMO is much easier to tolerate!

RE: How often do new machines come out? - cands - 08-18-2016

My CPAP supplier told me Resmed bring out a totally new machine about every 5 years. I just bought a new Airsense 10 Autoset that has a 3 year warranty. When the warranty expires I will hopefully be able to buy the new model and keep the old one as a backup. That's the plan, anyway.

Good luck with your treatment.Smile

RE: How often do new machines come out? - Sleeprider - 08-18-2016

I would not be inclined to accept an Elite under those circumstances when an Airsense 10 Autoset, or Dreamstation auto is available through supplier 2 at comparable costs...and potentially less for a PRS1 60 series auto. The truth is, there isn't much difference between the S9 and Airsense 10 series, nor the PRS1 60 and Dreamstation. The models seem to change on about a 5-year basis, and most of the updates relate to size and data transfer technology and connectivity. In other words, there isn't much new in what's new, except now you see Bluetooth, online access of minimal data, and everyone uses SD cards like before. Go back 2-generations and you have Smartcards and no wireless connectivity, but the treatment algorithms are basically unchanged.

RE: How often do new machines come out? - geebs - 08-19-2016

Amazing, thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know. If there was 5 years between the s9 and AirSense10, and that's tends to be the release cycle... PLUS the tech doesn't change that much... then I'm very comfortable buying an autocpap now. I was worried it would be like a cellphone type thing with new models every year.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback!

RE: How often do new machines come out? - chill - 08-19-2016

Make sure that you get a data capable machine.

Be happy you are not in BC, where the government seems quite happy to have you choke yourself to death. Given the long term health consequences, that seems like a short sighted approach to controlling costs.

RE: How often do new machines come out? - eseedhouse - 08-19-2016

(08-19-2016, 12:39 AM)chill Wrote: Make sure that you get a data capable machine.

Be happy you are not in BC, where the government seems quite happy to have you choke yourself to death. Given the long term health consequences, that seems like a short sighted approach to controlling costs.

I'm in B.C. but my Union negotiated Blue Cross coverage paid for my machines, thank goodness. I do not know if the MSP provides any coverage because I didn't need to ask. I do believe they paid for the sleep study since it was in a Hospital.

RE: How often do new machines come out? - srlevine1 - 08-19-2016

I would use the insurance allowance to purchase a newer ResMed AirSense A10 Autoset with its built-in humidifier from a US supplier on the above vendor list because prices in Canada appear to be outrageous.

I suspect that the next generation of ResMed machine will be out in about 2-3 years and feature some functional enhancements such as a larger water chamber, a switchable front light, and some software improvements like a way to permanently turn off the cellular service.

The equipment paradox is like the one's associated with phones and computers -- you know change is coming, but do you want to wait for it and pay a premium to be an early adopter.

Best of luck.