Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Worse sleep with CPAP machine - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Worse sleep with CPAP machine (/Thread-Worse-sleep-with-CPAP-machine)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Worse sleep with CPAP machine - PatCurt - 08-29-2016

Have had machine since 8/11/16. I am on my 3rd mask. I do not think I allowed enough time for trial on the first 2 masks and am trying to do that with the one I am using now. I wake up every half hour or so because of loud leaks or feeling like I cannot breathe. Take off nasal mask for a minute so I can breathe then try again. I am afraid I will not be in compliance and will lose the machine through the insurance program. Last night was the most time I had it on and it was only 3.5 hours.
I have been reading everything on this forum and it has been so helpful. Does anyone think I should go back to the DME and try the full mask or the first one which was like a nasal pillow but covered the mouth? They are probably sick of seeing me, don't know how many times I can change?
Sorry this is so long but not sure how to word my problems. All I know is that I slept much better before all this stuff entered my life.

RE: Worse sleep with CPAP machine - PoolQ - 08-29-2016

Personally I had a problem exhaling into pressure and could not use a nose "plug" type of mask. I use a full face mask not because of mouth breathing, but to make it easier to exhale.

RE: Worse sleep with CPAP machine - chill - 08-29-2016

This is about your health, not what makes the DME happy. Personally, I'd try the full-face mask again. The F&P Simplus gets a lot of good recommendations, I also use it and am happy with it. If you feel like you can't get enough air, just open your mouth with the mask on and breathe deeply. That should convince your brain that you are not suffocating. You should be getting enough flow with a pressure of 8, but you could ask to have that raised to 9.

Mask leaks are often a problem, more so if they keep you awake. If you are getting loud leaks, it is almost always one of:
  • Mask or face is oily: wash with soap
  • Mask is too loose: tighten straps
  • You are mashing your face into the pillow: hang mask over edge, don't sleep in the centre of the pillow
  • Mask does not fit your face: try a different one

Welcome, and hang in there. A period of adjustment is normal, you have to get though it, allow your brain to get used to this new sensation.

RE: Worse sleep with CPAP machine - OpalRose - 08-29-2016

Hi PatCurt, and Welcome to Apnea Board!
You don't say what kind of masks you have tried, but DME should at lease give you 30 days before trying another mask.

Finding a mask that works for you is the hardest part of therapy.

What nasal pillow did you try? It shouldn't cover your mouth. The ResMed P10 is popular.

The thing with masks is that the straps should not be too tight as that can cause leaks the same as if it were too loose.

If you are a mouth breather, and don't feel you can overcome that, then you may need to use a chin strap or try a full face mask, but I would go with a nasal pillow and a chin strap before a full face.

About compliance.....you have 90 days to fullfill compliance. I've always recommended this:
Move your machine (empty water first) out to living room and put your mask on with Cpap on and just read or watch TV for awhile. You would be surprised how fast the time goes by. This will help you acclimate to the mask and air pressure faster and help with compliance.

I see you have an auto Cpap which is great. Do you know your pressure settings? If you are feeling like you can't breath, your minimum pressure may be too low.

There also is a comfort setting called AFLex, which will help you breath out against the pressure.

Get your providers manual here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pressure/change-cpap-pressure-settings-adjusting-your-machine-with-a-clinician-setup-manual

RE: Worse sleep with CPAP machine - PatCurt - 08-29-2016

Thanks for the replies. I think I will do better with the full mask. The one I had did not fit right and I went back because of really loud noises (due to leaks, I guess) and the bridge of my nose was sore. I thought I just needed another size but ended up with this nose mask instead.
Just for information, I went for a sleep study because my cardiologist told me that my atrial fibrillation (which is now constant, 24/7 and is making my life h**ll) might be caused by sleep apnea. That is why I really want to try and make this work!!!

RE: Worse sleep with CPAP machine - PatCurt - 08-29-2016

I just know that the pressure is 8, I don't think that it changes. I can try as many masks as I want during a 30 day period according to Lincare. But they failed to tell me when I went there that the one near me is closing 8/31. So I will have to drive about 30 min to get to the next closest one.

RE: Worse sleep with CPAP machine - srlevine1 - 08-29-2016

(08-29-2016, 12:11 PM)chill Wrote: This is about your health, not what makes the DME happy. Personally, I'd try the full-face mask again. The F&P Simplus gets a lot of good recommendations, I also use it and am happy with it. If you feel like you can't get enough air, just open your mouth with the mask on and breathe deeply. That should convince your brain that you are not suffocating. You should be getting enough flow with a pressure of 8, but you could ask to have that raised to 9.

Mask leaks are often a problem, more so if they keep you awake. If you are getting loud leaks, it is almost always one of:
  • Mask or face is oily: wash with soap
  • Mask is too loose: tighten straps
  • You are mashing your face into the pillow: hang mask over edge, don't sleep in the centre of the pillow
  • Mask does not fit your face: try a different one

Welcome, and hang in there. A period of adjustment is normal, you have to get though it, allow your brain to get used to this new sensation.

Don't forget about those of us with self-imposed mask issues with beards and mustaches.

RE: Worse sleep with CPAP machine - trish6hundred - 08-29-2016

Hi PatCurt,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you luck on finding a mask that will work for you, and with your CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.

RE: Worse sleep with CPAP machine - glennaa11 - 08-29-2016

finding a good mask can take some time. I think DME's want you to find something that works for you. Initially I thought a nasal pillow was what I wanted, but it just didn't work for me. The DME I had at the time called to check on me and had me come back in to try other options. Since then I've only used FF masks. Been using the Hans-Rudolph 7600 V2 for several years with pretty good results. It's the most comfortable mask I have used, but doesn't get the same amount of exposure as the big players (F&P,ResMed, etc)

I've been on CPAP for several years now. I wish I could say it changed my life, but I don't think I can. My AHI is always under 1 according to the machine data. But I'm still pretty tired a lot. It's a miracle for some people, but not for everyone.

RE: Worse sleep with CPAP machine - Sleepster - 08-29-2016

(08-29-2016, 11:49 AM)PatCurt Wrote: Does anyone think I should go back to the DME and try the full mask or the first one which was like a nasal pillow but covered the mouth?

Definitely. Yes! You should be able to keep the masks you're trying. I had to keep switching back and forth between masks at first, until I got used to it. I'd wear one for few nights, then switch back to the other one, or even switch in the middle of the night. It was awful.

But you will adapt. It just takes time. Don't give up.

Quote:They are probably sick of seeing me, don't know how many times I can change?

They're making money off you. Go back as often as it takes. It's very common to have to try several masks.

Quote:All I know is that I slept much better before all this stuff entered my life.

Yes, but it wasn't the kind of sleep that will allow you to function normally. And it will eventually, after ruining it, put an early end to your life. Don't let that happen.

When I started the mask and hose stopped me from getting as much sleep as I had been getting before. I was worse off. Except after about a week or two I would sometimes wake up and feel I actually got at least some deep sleep. Then as the weeks went on that became more common and more frequent. Eventually my life took a big turn for the better. Getting there was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but now it's a breeze.