Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Please Help with Settings - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Please Help with Settings (/Thread-Please-Help-with-Settings)

Please Help with Settings - wilfulblue - 09-02-2016

I'm having trouble with allergies and need to increase the air pressure/flow on my Resmed Aircurve 10 VAUTO machine for a little while. The doctor who oversees my sleep apnea no longer accepts insurance, and the supply company refuses to adjust settings without a prescription. I can't afford to spend at least several hundred dollars changing the settings for an issue that will eventually be resolved on its own.

I found on this website how to access the clinician settings, but am unsure what change(s) to make. Also, I really don't want to mess up anything.

My current settings are:
Mode Auto
Max IPAP 10.0
Min EPAP 5.0
PS 4.0
Ti Max 2.0s
Ti Min 0.3s
Trigger Med
Cycle Med

I have no idea what any of this means. I tried looking up manuals online, but they were all way too technical. Can anyone explain to a layperson what the above means and what I should do? I just need slightly increased airflow to offset the congestion. Thanks in advance!

RE: Please Help with Settings - justMongo - 09-02-2016

Welcome

These are set to default; and they are normally left at default:
Ti Max 2.0s
Ti Min 0.3s
Trigger Med
Cycle Med

I would leave PS the same. The two to tweak are Max IPAP and Min EPAP.
The VAUTO switches between two pressures. IPAP on inhale; and EPAP on exhale.
This machine will always hold the relationship that IPAP - EPAP = PS.

Your present settings allow IPAP to range from 9.0 to 10.0 (Because 10 is max; and IPAP is always EPAP + PS = 5.0 + 4.0 = 9.0)
EPAP can only range from 5.0 (the min) and 6.0 because at 6.0 IPAP hits it's max.

ergo, I would increase Max IPAP from 10.0 to 11.0 and give it a try.
The machine will not raise pressure unless events determine that it needs to.
That's a good start.

Download either ReScan or Sleepyhead to follow your therapy.

RE: Please Help with Settings - Maskup N. Sleepwell - 09-02-2016

Allergy meds are probably a more useful solution.

RE: Please Help with Settings - wilfulblue - 09-02-2016

justMongo: Thank you very much! You were succinct and informative. I'll adjust IPAP to 11. I'd been tracking on myAir, but I'll look into SleeyHead and Rescan.

Maskup Sleepwell: Obviously, I tried that first.

RE: Please Help with Settings - trish6hundred - 09-02-2016

Hi wilfulblue,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and keep us posted on how you do with the new setting.

RE: Please Help with Settings - Maskup N. Sleepwell - 09-02-2016

I figured as much but don't like to assume. It goes along along with 'did you plug it in' lol ... Hope you're new pressure helps.

RE: Please Help with Settings - richb - 09-02-2016

Hi wilfulblue,

Welcome to the Apnea Board. Start with slow changes as JM suggests. Install the Sleepyhead software. Do some reading and take charge of your treatment.

Rich