Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
What to make of these results - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: What to make of these results (/Thread-What-to-make-of-these-results)

Pages: 1 2

What to make of these results - jjason18 - 09-04-2016

Hi guys, I've been on reading a lot of what you guys discuss on this board and decided to join. I've been using my auto CPAP machine a total of 1 night and I found it worrisome that my auto CPAP went all the way up to the pressure of 20...

I took a screenshot of my results.
[attachment=2809]

What do you guys make of this? I woke up in the middle of the night and my gf said that I was breathing from my mouth.

I use the Philips Respironics Dreamwear Nasal System and have a DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500T11 w/HT humidifier and heated tube.

The pressure settings are set from 4-20.
Mask type is set to X1 according to the bad the mask came in.
FLEX is on 3

I appreciate your help or any advice you can give me about this screenshot.

RE: What to make of these results - justMongo - 09-04-2016

If possible, you should be re-evaluated in a sleep lab.
Running an APAP with such wide limits is lazy therapy. The min pressure is too low.
The troublesome part is: even at near max pressure, obstructive apnea and hypopneas are not being taken care of.
You may need a different machine; perhaps a BiPAP.

You also have some periodic breathing. May I ask you approximate age? And do you have a cardiologist? How's your weight?

RE: What to make of these results - OpalRose - 09-04-2016

You are having a lot of mask leaks, or you are mouth breathing, which is what your gf said.

You also show mostly obstructed apneas, which warrants a higher minimum pressure setting.
I would start out by moving that minimum pressure to 7cm, and see if there is a difference.
You may need to inch it up by .5cm every week until you see improvement.

If you don't see the max pressure coming down because it is topping off at 20, you may need a different machine, like a bipap or bilevel.

The major issue is to get your mouth breathing under control. There is no guarantee that your AHI numbers are accurate when you have this problem.

Try using a chin strap, also don't lay on your back, try side sleeping as much as you can.

RE: What to make of these results - jjason18 - 09-04-2016

I am 30 years old and don't really have a cardiologist since I never had an issue with my heart.

I am 260lbs and I'm 6ft tall. I have gained a significant amount of weight these last few months though...

What does periodic breathing mean? Should I be worried?

Thank you OpalRose, I will attempt that tonight... Maybe my mouth breathing is causing the machine to detect apneas and is ramping up the pressure? Is this possible?

RE: What to make of these results - OpalRose - 09-04-2016

What usually happens the machine initially ramps up pressure, but then drops it back down because it can't keep up the airflow with continued mouth breathing.

Other things that raise pressure is snores, and flow limitations.

What was your AHI during your sleep test?

RE: What to make of these results - justMongo - 09-04-2016

(09-04-2016, 10:37 AM)jjason18 Wrote: I am 30 years old and don't really have a cardiologist since I never had an issue with my heart.

I am 260lbs and I'm 6ft tall. I have gained a significant amount of weight these last few months though...

What does periodic breathing mean? Should I be worried?

I wouldn't worry at age 30. But, I would urge you to lose weight.
Yeah, I know it's not easy. Your pressure requirements might be lower if you lost weight.

At age 30 with a BMI of >35, you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of health problems.

Definitely planning on losing weight... I've been gaining weight due to the lack of time to work out and inactivity.... I sit in front of my computer and answer questions all day... and these aren't excuses... I am just that busy...

I took OpalRose's advice and took another nap... since I was extremely tired and had a huge headache after that first night.

I took a 3 hour nap and i got more periodic breathing instances 18.10%.

I slept on my side and I feel better than when i did this morning.

I cannot upload another attachement due to the fact that I reached the limit...

RE: What to make of these results - car54 - 09-04-2016

With the leaks and mouth breathing, the results are probably not very accurate. You might have to switch to a full mask if you continue to mouth breathe. 4 seem way to low. Do you know how to adjust your pressures? Remember you are just beginning and there is a lot of tweaking to do. You are at the right site for info and support. You are blessed that you found this site, it took me 3 months after my cpap adventure started.

CAR54

Thank you guys so much for the help!

I truly did needed this website.