Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Using CPAP with an ear infection - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Using CPAP with an ear infection (/Thread-Using-CPAP-with-an-ear-infection)

Using CPAP with an ear infection - dclaryjr - 09-04-2016

Friday I was diagnosed with an ear infection. That afternoon I came down with a bad case of chills, and ended up spending 14 hours in bed (without using CPAP). Last night I tried using it but within minutes, I was experiencing sharp pain in infected ear so I chucked the mask. Has anyone experienced this?

RE: Using CPAP with an ear infection - DariaVader - 09-04-2016

I hope you are getting treatment for the ear infection!!!

I have continued CPAP with ear infection, but it's tricky to make it comfy. These are how I coped
  • Blackseed Oil dropped in the ear canal (Olive Oil if you cant find the blackseed, but blackseed is an amazing anti-inflammatory)
  • Xlear (xylitol/saline) nasal spray, spray into nose straight back while leaning forward to clear eustacian tubes
  • antihistamine
  • See doc for antibiotic

RE: Using CPAP with an ear infection - PaytonA - 09-04-2016

Daria, is your house a pharmacy?? Grin Big Grin

RE: Using CPAP with an ear infection - trish6hundred - 09-04-2016

Hi dclaryjr,
I hope you get over your ear infection really soon.

RE: Using CPAP with an ear infection - Mosquitobait - 09-04-2016

Yep, been there, but I have a variety of masks and picked one (Circadian) that worked for me. Sadly, I lost 30% of my hearing in that ear this spring, so defiantly see an ENT if the first dose of antibiotics don't work.

RE: Using CPAP with an ear infection - MitchS - 09-04-2016

(09-04-2016, 02:37 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Daria, is your house a pharmacy?? Grin Big Grin

From what she's posted she must have a pantry full of pharmaceuticals and home remedies. Bigwink

RE: Using CPAP with an ear infection - dclaryjr - 09-04-2016

Thanks for the responses. Yes, my doctor prescribed some drops that that are a combination antibiotic with a steroid for the swelling. There's not too much pain at this point, but it's itchy as hell. I'll give it one more night and try again after using a nasal irrigator and the DV drug suggestions.

RE: Using CPAP with an ear infection - hegel - 09-06-2016

Flonase is good for clearing the eustachian tubes as well. Daria's advice to lean forward at the waist and spray is spot on; really makes a difference. You can get it over the counter now.

Antihistamines are a stimulant, so remember that at bedtime. And don't combine them with cough syrup without reading the labels carefully; you could get a double dose of antihistamine that way.

And eat your vegetables!

Signed, your mother.

RE: Using CPAP with an ear infection - holden4th - 09-06-2016

Do you swim?