Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Stop Therapy Question - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Stop Therapy Question (/Thread-Stop-Therapy-Question)

Pages: 1 2

Stop Therapy Question - macheta - 09-11-2016

Hi - I just purchased my third CPAP machine. The S9 AutoSet is better than my brick S9 Escape.

The instructions indicate: "To stop treatment at anytime, remove your mask and/or press" power button icon.

Does anybody just take off the mask without pressing the power button? Seems that taking off the mask automatically turns off the therapy.

RE: Stop Therapy Question - eseedhouse - 09-11-2016

My S10 machine has the same "feature" but after trying it I turned it off. I leave my mask on all night and if I wake up for awhile I just push the button on the top, disconnect the hose, go do my business, and return to bed (OK, actually a Recliner), reconnect to the hose and push the same button.

Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean you won't, of course.

RE: Stop Therapy Question - trish6hundred - 09-11-2016

Hi macheta,
If you have "SmartStart" enabled, when you take off your mask, the machine will shut off and when you put your mask back on and breathe into it, your machine will start. I don't have "SmartStart" enabled, so I just push the button to start or stop therapy. Hang in there for more responses to your post.

RE: Stop Therapy Question - Sleeprider - 09-11-2016

Most machines have a SmartStart or auto-stop feature that lets you remove the mask to turn off the machine. I use it. Sometimes I don't want to be bothered with hitting the start/stop button, so I remove the mask, and a few seconds later it turns off. Respironics machines can take considerably longter to turn off.

Advantage is convenience. Disadvantage is if you're a new user, you might activate the feature with a mask leak, or inadvertent removal. If you never remove the mask at night without being aware of it, or if you don't have large leaks, the auto feature is great.

RE: Stop Therapy Question - macheta - 09-11-2016

If I let it turn off without pressing the button will it show blips on my data reports?

RE: Stop Therapy Question - Crimson Nape - 09-11-2016

SleepyHead will show a major leak for the few seconds that the S9 blows before shutting down. ResScan software seems to have logic written in that ignores any major leak just prior to any session end. Some people, who have leak problems, have reported experiencing unit shutdown while they were asleep when using this option.

RE: Stop Therapy Question - livingwithapnea - 09-11-2016

I did not use it at first, but enebled it a few weeks after I got my Airsense 10 and I like it. I agree, pretty easy to hit on/off button on top, but autostart is nice. Get up to use bathroom, ruturn and plug in hose and it starts on the exhale. Autostop is a little loud, but stops in about 10-15 seconds. I usually disconnect and hit the stop, and then mainly use autostart.

RE: Stop Therapy Question - macheta - 09-11-2016

I would not want that to happen even if the risk was low. I turned this feature off. Thanks!

RE: Stop Therapy Question - Maskup N. Sleepwell - 09-12-2016

On my Dreamstation Auto BiPAP, I tend to use the button to turn it off as it takes a long time to auto stop and it jacks up my leak data. However, I almost always use the auto start instead of the button.

RE: Stop Therapy Question - Mosquitobait - 09-12-2016

Smart Stop doesn't work with some of my masks, so I'm just in the habit of pressing STOP. Smart Start works with all of what I have though. Love the feature.