Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
BIG change in leaking status - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: BIG change in leaking status (/Thread-BIG-change-in-leaking-status)

BIG change in leaking status - TheLionSleeps - 09-17-2016

For the last week, I have gone from 100% no leak mask nightly to 76%- 65%-57% leakage using the same masks I have used for 3 months with successful results. I am fighting leaks all night long, which is unusual for my last 3 months. I have about 3 masks and using all of them is the same problem. I can't find any leaks in the hose or hissing sound, the humidifier looks to be set OK, but I have wondered about the little flap located where the CO2 is released. I don't know how tight that should fit but wonder if this is the culprit?
I am trying to figure out why my sleep therapy has gone awry? Thank goodness my insurance compliance requirement has been met before all this started. Any suggestions?

RE: BIG change in leaking status - Sleeprider - 09-17-2016

On a full-face there are two valves. One is for design intentional exhaust to prevent rebreathing. That should be fixed. The valve with a flap is an anti-asphyxiation valve designed to open on inhale when the machine fails to provide pressure. It should not exhaust at all.

RE: BIG change in leaking status - PaytonA - 09-17-2016

If that little flap you mentioned is the little flap in the elbow, that is the anti-asphyxiation valve not the vent to prevent CO2 buildup. It would be a good idea to take the little flappy thing out including removing it from the rigid frame that holds it and then carefully re-installing it making sure that everything fits well and seats evenly in its frame. Then reinstall the frame in the elbow. Should be good to go.

Check the humidifier seals again and check to make sure the humidifier closure is closed completely.

That is about as far as I can take this since I am not familiar first hand with your equipment.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: BIG change in leaking status - chill - 09-17-2016

Do you think it is leaking because the machine says so, or because you can feel them? If only the latter, it is possible that a sensor in the machine is going bad.

RE: BIG change in leaking status - TheLionSleeps - 09-17-2016

It's leaking because I fight it all night through the masks and not just one but all three masks which I have tried are the same leaking, where they worked perfectly before. That's why I was wondering about that elbow connection flapper. Also it is being recorded on my dreamstation data card dreammapper software from 100% fittings down to a low of 56% so my therapy is not being as beneficial. Last night I traded masks in the night and it came back to 86% for 5 hours of usage.

I also should investigate the headgear since I wasn't thinking about that loosening and do not always change out the headgear when I change masks. That might be a "no-no" and the culprit. I would also need to look at the humidifier. Hope I can get this resolved since I love my sleep therapy and feel so much better. Smile

RE: BIG change in leaking status - Rcgop - 09-17-2016

Can only relate to the P10 pillow system but after 5 months my leak rate started climbing. When I called my DME, they said I was elegible for a pillow frame replacement. This where the co2 vent is located. I got one as I thought it would to have a spare.

Guess what happened next? My leak rate wwent down a bunch. Looking at Sleepyhead, my original mask had a 2 ml leak built in brand new. After 5 months, it climbed to as much as 4 ml.

Now with the new frame, I only have occasional leaks and my average leak is zero. Big difference.

Either I got a plugged vent on my new frame or they really do get old and need replacing after the allowable time frame.