Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New user with issues - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New user with issues (/Thread-New-user-with-issues)

New user with issues - cmichalek - 09-20-2016

Hello All,

2 weeks into CPAP therapy. Still tired and waking up 5-7 times a night.

I have the Resmed Airsense 10 which says I went from 588 apneas during my sleep test (488 Obstructive 54 Central 46 mixed) to AHI under 5. So the therapy is working, but I'm still waking up alot during the night and still tired.

I contacted the seller of the resmed and he said my pressure may be too high (when I wake up its very hard to go back to sleep because of the air pressure) and he told me to reduce it (My machine was supposed to Auto and ramp up but it does not seem to ramp down when I wake).

Any help appreciated.

Charles

RE: New user with issues - srlevine1 - 09-20-2016

(09-20-2016, 05:26 PM)cmichalek Wrote: Hello All,

2 weeks into CPAP therapy. Still tired and waking up 5-7 times a night.

I have the Resmed Airsense 10 which says I went from 588 apneas during my sleep test (488 Obstructive 54 Central 46 mixed) to AHI under 5. So the therapy is working, but I'm still waking up alot during the night and still tired.

I contacted the seller of the resmed and he said my pressure may be too high (when I wake up its very hard to go back to sleep because of the air pressure) and he told me to reduce it (My machine was supposed to Auto and ramp up but it does not seem to ramp down when I wake).

Any help appreciated.

Charles

The ramp up in the beginning of the session is a comfort issue and is a fixed event. The machine does not know when you are awake or asleep and the pressure after the ramp period is controlled by the algorithmic sensing of your breathing and is trying to minimize your adverse events.

About waking up tired, have you checked your oxygen levels with a pulse-oximeter as you may not be getting enough oxygen -- which may leave you tired.

Have you downloaded either ResScan or Sleepyhead (see the links on the forum title bar) to view your data in detail since your machine appears to be "data capable?" Are there any other co-morbidities such as restless legs syndrome, kidney issues, or aches and pains, that could account for your awakenings? Are there any environmental issues such as blue leds, noise, temperature, that could also account for awakenings?

Best of luck. Perhaps some of the other forum members will have additional ideas.

RE: New user with issues - trish6hundred - 09-20-2016

Hi cmichalek,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you much luck with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.

RE: New user with issues - chill - 09-21-2016

Welcome!

First off, give it time. Two weeks is nothing. Waking up often is not unusual. Don't forget: you are strapped into this system, it is not all digital. Some is squidgy meat bag (aka you). Make allowances for the squidgy meat bag factor.

Second, your machine is set to wide open (4-20). In most cases, that sucks. Badly. Did you not have a titration test? Starting at 4 means that (a) you might feel air starved and (b) when things start going badly, it likely has a long, long way to go to get up to an effective treatment pressure. So either you are having events while it increases to where it needs to be, or it never gets there, or you get awoken by the pressure increases. APAP is very useful, wide open is not unless your pressure needs are relatively low.

When you wake up, turn the machine off and on again to reset the pressure. At least then you can go back to sleep.

Beyond this, it is all guessing. Get SleepyHead (top of page) and start looking at your data and post the graphs here to ask for advice. FWIW, I am six months into this, finally waking up only once a night, and still sleepy most days. It is a work in progress. But I'd rather have all my teeth pulled out than lose this machine. I am still sleepy, but much better than I was.

RE: New user with issues - livingwithapnea - 09-21-2016

It was said above, but yes when you wake you will want to hit stop and start in top of your machine. That will reset your ramp. I would say auto with a range would be good. Use the software to see where your challenges are and consider an auto set. More pressure is not better, and it is possible that your pressure is too high. It may be that your autoset feature is not turned on

RE: New user with issues - Tez62 - 09-21-2016

Welcome cmichalek, all the others have mentioned it but download the software and post it on here, you maybe getting mask leaks which maybe waking you up, when you get to it you want your 95% Leaks to be below 24L, unfortunately for some people it takes time and patients, good luck with it.