Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
CPAP disposal - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: CPAP disposal (/Thread-CPAP-disposal)

Pages: 1 2

CPAP disposal - gasparama - 09-24-2016

Having obtained an Airsense 10, and having my S9 ready for backup and travel, I'm wondering how people dispose of unwanted machines? I understand that they are a prescription item and can't be given away. So, should old machines just be trashed? The old M series model isn't wanted anymore.

RE: CPAP disposal - justMongo - 09-24-2016

Depends upon your local laws. In most metro areas, they have electronic waste roundups.

RE: CPAP disposal - gasparama - 09-25-2016

(09-24-2016, 10:09 PM)justMongo Wrote: Depends upon your local laws. In most metro areas, they have electronic waste roundups.

I'll just call a local provider and see what is usually done here.

RE: CPAP disposal - Ghost1958 - 09-25-2016

If i knew a friend with apnea and a prescription id gift it to em.
Pretty sure you can give stuff you own away as you see fit

RE: CPAP disposal - Lanco - 09-25-2016

you could see if Supplier #2 would want to buy your cpap. otherwise they have a program for donating cpaps to the needy. worth checking out I think.

RE: CPAP disposal - justMongo - 09-25-2016

(09-25-2016, 01:12 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: If i knew a friend with apnea and a prescription id gift it to em.
Pretty sure you can give stuff you own away as you see fit

The BATF&E has a different opinion regarding certain types of personal property.

RE: CPAP disposal - Sleeprider - 09-25-2016

A serviceable older machine can be given to charity, a friend or sold for a few bucks so someone gets what they need, at a price they can afford. The police won't show up at your door, you made someone happy with a free or good deal, and you get to feel good, or spend some beer money. Any of the above options makes more sense than trashing or e-wasting a useful device. If your conscientious bothers you, leave it in the closet or hit it with a hammer and do the e-waste thing. Your loss.

RE: CPAP disposal - trish6hundred - 09-25-2016

Hi gasparama,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Before you toss the old machine, you might check with Supplier #2 and see if they will take it.
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.

RE: CPAP disposal - Mosquitobait - 09-25-2016

(09-24-2016, 08:45 PM)gasparama Wrote: Having obtained an Airsense 10, and having my S9 ready for backup and travel, I'm wondering how people dispose of unwanted machines? I understand that they are a prescription item and can't be given away. So, should old machines just be trashed? The old M series model isn't wanted anymore.

You could list it on Craig's list as a giveaway (be sure to list the machine hours). You can SHOW the person how to change the settings, but you technically cannot change the settings for him/her. If nobody wants it after a month, then just bring it wherever you would bring your old microwave for recycling.

RE: CPAP disposal - robertbuckley - 09-27-2016

Donate it to a not-for-profit hospital affiliated sleep practice. They always have indigent patients that they want to get onto CPAP who are un or underinsured. You can get a tax deduction and put the machine to good use.