Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Help with sleep apnea for newbie - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Help with sleep apnea for newbie (/Thread-Help-with-sleep-apnea-for-newbie)

Help with sleep apnea for newbie - statonh - 10-10-2016

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 10 years ago and did wear horrible face mask for less than month..only to be put to the side. Have no idea where it even is now since moving twice. I was on bi-pap which can't really remember difference between that and c-pap but 10 years later I think I may actually need. Getting older and not bullet proof like in younger years. I know I was waking up like 100 times an hour (actual number from sleep study) Will have insurance next month at new job and just looking for advice on new treatments?? I do see the sleep pillow device which appears better than old mask. Please any tips appreciated? 48 year old male

RE: Help with sleep apnea for newbie - Crimson Nape - 10-10-2016

Hi staonh - Welcome to the board!

Due to the time that has elapsed since your last sleep study, I would recommend that you see a physician that specializes in sleep apnea to get an newer assessment of your condition. In 10 years xPAP development has made major strides in both equipment and software to address apnea treatment.

RE: Help with sleep apnea for newbie - PoolQ - 10-10-2016

Yep, welcome to the papers.

RE: Help with sleep apnea for newbie - trish6hundred - 10-10-2016

Hi statonh,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Better luck to you this time around as you restart your CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.

RE: Help with sleep apnea for newbie - srlevine1 - 10-10-2016

(10-10-2016, 11:08 AM)statonh Wrote: I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 10 years ago and did wear horrible face mask for less than month..only to be put to the side. Have no idea where it even is now since moving twice. I was on bi-pap which can't really remember difference between that and c-pap but 10 years later I think I may actually need. Getting older and not bullet proof like in younger years. I know I was waking up like 100 times an hour (actual number from sleep study) Will have insurance next month at new job and just looking for advice on new treatments?? I do see the sleep pillow device which appears better than old mask. Please any tips appreciated? 48 year old male

Hope this reply finds you in good health as the effects of sleep apnea often occur over long periods of time.

Best practices dictate that you self-administer an Epworth self-test (https://www.slhn.org/docs/pdf/neuro-epworthsleepscale.pdf) and then consult a physician in your insurance network that specializes in sleep issues.

If you can retrieve your old paperwork, bring it to your first visit. It is likely that they will have you filling out a history form, another Epworth self-test, and some additional paperwork.

There have been numerous improvements in machines and masks and until you know what type of sleep apnea (central, obstructive, complex-mixed) you are dealing with, machine selection is a moot point. You may wish to look at some of the machine and mask reviews on this forum for background, but do not commit to any particular solution until you have a definitive diagnosis (or a starting point).

One word of caution, as a new employee, be careful during the probationary period about discussing sleep apnea or other medical issues with your superiors or co-workers as it may have an adverse effect on your continuing employment or the tasks you are assigned.

Best of luck.

RE: Help with sleep apnea for newbie - Sleeprider - 10-10-2016

With new insurance, you will want to become familiar with its deductibles, copays and limits so you know whether you want to get into PAP therapy without concerns of the costs of sleep studies and equipment, or whether you are going to have to pick up a substantial portion of the hit. On the cheap side your old sleep study would probably suffice as a Dx, and a doctor could write a Rx for auto-CPAP. Write or call the clinic and try to get records if possible of the study and prescription, then work with your primary care doc to get a new prescription. Worst case, if your deductibles are high then get a Dreamstation auto CPAP on Amazon and a nasal pillows mask like the Resmed Airfit P10 and self-treat.

If you have full-boat insurance, schedule an appointment with your doctor, and get a referral for split study that does the diagnosis and titration in one session. You will get a referral to a durable medical equipment supplier. Get the list of in-network providers ahead of time and be sure you get he supplier of your choice by looking at reviews and asking here.

Good luck. There is no doubt you need to get on therapy as soon as possible to preserve your health. The problem that was found 10 years ago has not gone anywhere. With the right support and data feedback, I'm sure you can be more successful with modern gear.

RE: Help with sleep apnea for newbie - statonh - 10-11-2016

Thanks for the reply. I have caught myself waking up in middle of night trying to catch my breath so yeah I guess I better get re-evaluated. And I know my dad had sleep apnea as well though never diagnosed. I do believe it contributed to his death via heart attack and the drinking did not help. I do not drink anymore however I use to and my wife could tell the difference that it made. I do still snore and need to shed a few pounds. And in my post I had said I wake up 100 times but I actually only stop breathing that many times a hour (I'm sure ya now what I meant) which is bad I know...it was the worst out of the 6 that participated that night in the study
..I'm sure it's not any better 10 yrs later...although surprisingly enough I do have energy at work.