Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Another titation and System One Resistance - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Another titation and System One Resistance (/Thread-Another-titation-and-System-One-Resistance)

Pages: 1 2 3

Another titation and System One Resistance - zonk - 08-02-2012

There is a new sleep clinic opened in the neighborhood so thought might as well check them out and last week went and had a chat with the sleep doctor. He is quite pleasant and discussed to do a titation study at his lab. Yesterday I had a call if wanted to do the study at night as there was a cancellation and I said yes. I've used my own mask ResMed Activa LT nasal mask and the tiration done on PRS1 machine and everything went ok just the noise of the machine annoying (I wont be complaining about the S9 anymore) but as I got home "System One Resistance" comes to my mind - as I was using non-Respironcis mask the setting ought to set at zero. Anyway going to see the doctor later on.
In the meantime my question is for PRS1 users: Does it matter if the System One Resistance not set correctly?

RE: Another titation and System One Resistance - mjbearit - 08-02-2012

(08-02-2012, 08:46 PM)zonk Wrote: In the meantime my question is for PRS1 users: Does it matter if the System One Resistance not set correctly?

I use a PRS1 with a Resmed mask. I tried to do some research to find out which mask might equate with which from vendor to vendor. The thing I ran into was that RP says that "some" of their masks as compatible with that system and to look in the documentation for the number on the mask in the included documentation. No where did I find a number for the masks documented anywhere on the web and I couldn't really find a direct correlation from mask to mask so I just gave up and left it off.

RE: Another titation and System One Resistance - zonk - 08-02-2012

Thanks MJ. I asked because on my S9 there is an option to select the type of mask (pillows, nasal, full face) and I select nasal. The S9 need to know the type of mask. I know it is not the same with System One Resistance but was wondering if different setting would give you different result, higher or lower pressure during titration. btw what setting do you use

RE: Another titation and System One Resistance - zonk - 08-02-2012

Looking at the Mask setting for System One resistance control (click to enlarge) it say X1 for nasal mask but I,m sure read somewhere it "0" for non-Respironcis masks .
Ohwell I need more sleep tonite

http://z5.ifrm.com/5902/67/0/p1031700/MaskSettingsforSystemOneResistanceC.jpg

RE: Another titation and System One Resistance - trish6hundred - 08-02-2012

Hey zonk, I thought the resistance was for when you switched between types of masks, such as switching from pillows to nasal masks or from nasal masks to full-face-mask, but I'm not really sure.

RE: Another titation and System One Resistance - zonk - 08-03-2012

(08-02-2012, 10:35 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hey zonk, I thought the resistance was for when you switched between types of masks, such as switching from pillows to nasal masks or from nasal masks to full-face-mask, but I'm not really sure.
I think you,re correct Trish
Why they don,t write in plain English, They want to confuse me Too-funny

System One Resistance Control
Optimized pressure delivery, no matter which mask is used.
http://systemoneresistancecontrol.respironics.com/

RE: Another titation and System One Resistance - JJJ - 08-03-2012

(08-03-2012, 12:23 AM)zonk Wrote: System One Resistance Control

Can someone explain that graphic? The upper left corner without resistance control is identical to the lower right corner with resistance control. It makes no sense to me at all.

I'm using the new Pilairo with a PRS1, which I currently have set at 0 resistance. I called the DME to see if they knew what resistance setting to use for the Pilairo, but all I could get was "who knows." I know better than to call Philips Respironics because all they will tell me is that it is not their mask so they have no way to know what resistance setting to use. Like their research and development department doesn't already have a dozen Pilairos that they are dissecting to see how to produce the same thing without violating Fisher & Paykel's patents. And if I call Fisher and Paykel I will get the same corporate spin in reverse. And on top of it I have no idea what the resistance setting even does. Dont-know

Past my bedtime. Sad

RE: Another titation and System One Resistance - mjbearit - 08-03-2012

(08-02-2012, 09:12 PM)zonk Wrote: Thanks MJ. I asked because on my S9 there is an option to select the type of mask (pillows, nasal, full face) and I select nasal. The S9 need to know the type of mask. I know it is not the same with System One Resistance but was wondering if different setting would give you different result, higher or lower pressure during titration. btw what setting do you use

I had read somewhere, and I believe it may have been in te clinic manual that if the mask was a non-Respironics or did not have the "number" on it to use "0" so that is what I use since my ResMed mask does not have that number! Smile

RE: Another titation and System One Resistance - mjbearit - 08-03-2012

(08-03-2012, 02:22 AM)JJJ Wrote:

Can someone explain that graphic? The upper left corner without resistance control is identical to the lower right corner with resistance control. It makes no sense to me at all.

I'm using the new Pilairo with a PRS1, which I currently have set at 0 resistance. I called the DME to see if they knew what resistance setting to use for the Pilairo, but all I could get was "who knows." I know better than to call Philips Respironics because all they will tell me is that it is not their mask so they have no way to know what resistance setting to use. Like their research and development department doesn't already have a dozen Pilairos that they are dissecting to see how to produce the same thing without violating Fisher & Paykel's patents. And if I call Fisher and Paykel I will get the same corporate spin in reverse. And on top of it I have no idea what the resistance setting even does. Dont-know

Past my bedtime. Sad

Yes, I actually can explain it to you. Strangely enough it makes sense to me! First of all the concept is kind of like putting a sprinkler on a hose. Each type of sprinkler is a bit different and will deliver water in a different pattern and different amount even with the hose set to deliver the same amount of water. They have found a way to measure the end product and ensure that is meets the intended pressure.
As for the graphic itself, the graphs on the left side are the machine delivery and that goes to the mask in the middle and then after the mask you have the graph on the right which is the end product. Reading straight across, the top set shows the intended pressure, to the mask and then the fact that it does not meet the intended pressure after the mask on the right. The bottom graphic shows that by using the known characteristics of the masks to tweak the pressure on the machine side, the end product is exactly what the pressure is intended to be.
I'm not really convinced that this is even important with an APAP because it adjusts to meet your needs and since your needs are measured based on the end product and not a fixed pressure, it seems like worrying about that would be a waste of time.
At least that's my take.

RE: Another titation and System One Resistance - JJJ - 08-03-2012

(08-03-2012, 07:59 AM)mjbearit Wrote:
(08-03-2012, 02:22 AM)JJJ Wrote:

I'm not really convinced that this is even important with an APAP because it adjusts to meet your needs and since your needs are measured based on the end product and not a fixed pressure, it seems like worrying about that would be a waste of time.
At least that's my take.

Your last observation above is sort of my take on it as well. Except then, why did Philips Respironics and ResMed add the setting feature to their machines?