Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Change Humidity Level Seasonally - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Change Humidity Level Seasonally (/Thread-Change-Humidity-Level-Seasonally)

Change Humidity Level Seasonally - txpap - 11-15-2016

Coming up on 3.5 months of therapy. Now that the weather is getting cooler, I am wondering if I need to back off on the humidity setting. It seems I am getting condensation on the inside of the tube.

Sometimes when I reposition in bed, a pillow may pull the hose from my mask and I can feel small droplets of water hit my face. Also when I first get up, I feel the need to cough deeply, like maybe there is too much moisture in my lungs.

Curious what others experience and think about this.

RE: Change Humidity Level Seasonally - Crimson Nape - 11-15-2016

As you head into the cooler months, you might find a Climateline heated hose to be beneficial. The Climateline helps reduce rainout caused by the temperature differential in winter.

RE: Change Humidity Level Seasonally - Sleeprider - 11-15-2016

In winter, the relative humidity in our homes drops, and the air temperature is generally cooler which promotes condensation of the relatively warm humid air from the CPAP. I actually increase the humidity setting in winter, and use a higher hose temperature setting to ensure it does not condense and cause rainout. I also use a fleece cover on my heated hose, which further prevents problems and makes it much more comfortable.

RE: Change Humidity Level Seasonally - Mr. Van Winkle - 11-15-2016

I have the heated hose and run mine on the auto setting , to this date if never had much of an issue with rain out. Also I don't live in Texas either, hope I didn't jinx myself.
It doesn't hurt to try different setting , so I hope you find the right one.Smile
Sleep-well

RE: Change Humidity Level Seasonally - txpap - 11-16-2016

Who knew. The thing I experienced has a name. Rain Out. Funny. Last night I dropped the humidity down a notch and didn't feel the need for any deep coughing this morning. I will look into the other suggestions, though.

RE: Change Humidity Level Seasonally - Galactus - 11-17-2016

Oddly enough since getting my climate line I've never turned the heat down. I thought it would bother me in the summer. Instead I find the AC up and the heated line on full blast. I like it, makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I go to bed lol.

RE: Change Humidity Level Seasonally - Perchas - 11-17-2016

Seek balance, everything that affects us are usually balanced.

I suggest that you put the humidifier in position 1 and all your problems will be solved, do not try to add more temperature through the tube.

RE: Change Humidity Level Seasonally - PaytonA - 11-21-2016

(11-17-2016, 12:26 AM)Galactus Wrote: Oddly enough since getting my climate line I've never turned the heat down. I thought it would bother me in the summer. Instead I find the AC up and the heated line on full blast. I like it, makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I go to bed lol.

That is because you are fuzzy. Just not as fuzzy as I am though.

Sorry, I just could not resist

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: Change Humidity Level Seasonally - Weird Tolkienish Figure - 11-21-2016

Heated hose helps with the hose, but condensation can still occur in the mask itself, if you're using a FFM. For that reason I too turn the humidity down.

RE: Change Humidity Level Seasonally - Sleepster - 11-21-2016

If the room gets colder the likelihood of condensation will increase. You can turn down the humidification setting, insulate the hose, heat the hose, or heat the room.