Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Resmed S9 Cigarette Lighter Socket? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Resmed S9 Cigarette Lighter Socket? (/Thread-Equipment-Resmed-S9-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket)

Resmed S9 Cigarette Lighter Socket? - mulewagon - 11-15-2016

I'll be making a long car trip in a few weeks and wanted to be able to pull over for a good nap if needed. I've found a product called "DC Converter 24V 90W For S9™ Machines" which will apparently allow me to plug my CPAP into the cigarette lighter. Does this work?

Also, this option costs $85. Can I get something cheaper that will let me plug into the cigarette lighter? Or would that damage the machine?

RE: Resmed S9 Cigarette Lighter Socket? - Sleeprider - 11-15-2016

If you have the S9 Autoset the Resmed S9 DC converter will work fine. There is a different unit for the Airsense 10. Don't try to find a substitute. The Resmed machines use a very finicky voltage detector on the center pin to find a signal that the charger is OEM. You could perhaps design a substitute, but you'd be an electrical engineering geek to do so. There are non-OEM DC converters, but the minimal savings would not tempt me to take a chance with that option at the risk of losing warranty on the machine.

RE: Resmed S9 Cigarette Lighter Socket? - Crimson Nape - 11-15-2016

The S9 operates on 24v and a car operates on 12v. The S9 also employs a special plug on the power supply that provides info to the S9 about the supply's wattage capability. For me the $85 is far cheaper than the possibility of turning my S9 into a boat anchor.

RE: Resmed S9 Cigarette Lighter Socket? - trish6hundred - 11-15-2016

Hi mulewagon,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You would be better off getting the part that goes with the S9.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy, have a nice trip, and hang in there for more responses to your post.

RE: Resmed S9 Cigarette Lighter Socket? - Regular Joe - 11-15-2016

I have the DC Converter 24V 90W For S9™ Machines and use it when I'm camping on hunting trips. It works very well. I also used it one night in a pinch after the power went out. It's worth the money. I got it from vendor #1.

RE: Resmed S9 Cigarette Lighter Socket? - archangle - 11-16-2016

It's more than just the right voltage. The S9 power supply is "copy protected." Someone hooked up an oscilloscope and found there is some sort of a coded signal sent during the power up sequence.

Shame on you, ResMed!

RE: Resmed S9 Cigarette Lighter Socket? - Lanco - 11-16-2016

(11-15-2016, 09:28 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you have the S9 Autoset the Resmed S9 DC converter will work fine. There is a different unit for the Airsense 10. Don't try to find a substitute. The Resmed machines use a very finicky voltage detector on the center pin to find a signal that the charger is OEM. You could perhaps design a substitute, but you'd be an electrical engineering geek to do so. There are non-OEM DC converters, but the minimal savings would not tempt me to take a chance with that option at the risk of losing warranty on the machine.

Are you saying the units that show up on an ebay search for resmed power supply for a lot less money are to be avoided? Sometimes I see the cigaret lighter type listed there. I suppose used is a possible way to go.

RE: Resmed S9 Cigarette Lighter Socket? - justMongo - 11-16-2016

For your S9, you are looking for ResMed part number 36970. They sell for about $85.00 US

The 12 to 24V converter for the 10 series is a different part number.

You might find a 12V to 120 VAC unit that can then be used with the power brick that came with you S9, but then you have a double conversion; and a waste of battery power.

RE: Resmed S9 Cigarette Lighter Socket? - Sleeprider - 11-16-2016

(11-16-2016, 07:56 PM)Lanco Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 09:28 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you have the S9 Autoset the Resmed S9 DC converter will work fine. There is a different unit for the Airsense 10. Don't try to find a substitute. The Resmed machines use a very finicky voltage detector on the center pin to find a signal that the charger is OEM. You could perhaps design a substitute, but you'd be an electrical engineering geek to do so. There are non-OEM DC converters, but the minimal savings would not tempt me to take a chance with that option at the risk of losing warranty on the machine.

Are you saying the units that show up on an ebay search for resmed power supply for a lot less money are to be avoided? Sometimes I see the cigaret lighter type listed there. I suppose used is a possible way to go.

That is exactly what I am saying. Do not use the cheap parts that claim they can be used. I have been around a while, and am still eating to hear that these non-OEM parts work properly. I do know that some of them fail to provide the expected signal, resulting in the CPAP shutting down, even when 24 volts is supplied. If you want cheap battery power, get a Philips Respironics 12 volt machine.