Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
AHI differs between DreamStation and AirsSense 10 - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: AHI differs between DreamStation and AirsSense 10 (/Thread-AHI-differs-between-DreamStation-and-AirsSense-10)

Pages: 1 2

AHI differs between DreamStation and AirsSense 10 - JD007 - 11-18-2016

A newbie here:
Firstly, many thanks to the Forum and its Members for all the great information.

I have/had no symptoms of Sleep Apnea. Due to the evidence from some Cardio related tests, my Cardio suggested the Sleep Study. Two studies confirmed an AHI of 40

I have been trialing the DreamStation Auto (5 weeks) and now the AirSense 10 Auto (1 week).

On the DS:
Weeks 1 and 2: AHI 5 to 13 (bad fitting mask, I think)
Weeks 3 to 5: AHI 2.5 to 4 (Nuance Pro mask)
(Weeks 3 to 5 had one night each week of 6)

On the AirSense 10
Week 1: AHI 0.00 to 0.99 (Nuance Pro mask)

Both machines the pressure was set 4 to 15
The Humidifier is turned on and down low.
Using between 6 and 8 hours a night.

Using the DreamStation I regularly wake up during the night.
Todate, I have found the AirSense 10 more comfortable to use with less wake-ups. It seems to have a gentler pumping of air sensation.
(It also does not have a 'spotlight' for a screen!)

I am confused and concerned at the difference in the AHI readings between the two brands of equipment.
As I do not fully understand all the other machine readings, I have not made a comment.

Over the coming weeks, I am wanting to purchase a new sleep machine and want to make the correct decision. In Australia the price of the machines and masks are 'outrageous'.

A person at the Sleep Clinic, did comment: "these two machines are exactly the same and they will do exactly the same thing". For me, the 'evidence' suggests otherwise.

1) I would be interested to know if other Forum Members have received different AHI readings when using different brand machines on same/similar settings.
2) Can anyone explain why I get different AHI readings on these different machines?

Cheers JD

RE: AHI differs between DreamStation and AirsSense 10 - Sleeprider - 11-18-2016

Your settings of 4-15 explain why you had such remarkably better success with the Airsense 10 Autoset than the Dreamstation Auto. The Resmed machine responds much faster to obstructive apnea precursors such as snoring, and flow limitations and volume reductions. It aggressively attacks an obstructive event with higher pressure. The Philips machine is relatively slow to respond, and tends to fall back towards its minimum setting faster. The difference is readily visible when you look at the graphs members post here, and simply compare the two machine's pressure response. They are not the same machine, and react very differently. If you can look back at your data for those two machines, you will see different average and 90 or 95% pressures.

The slow response of the Philips can be completely offset by starting at a higher pressure. Many of us who try to guide new users, will suggest a higher minimum pressure for Philips machines, and while it also helps with the Resmed machine, they react so quickly, that the default pressure like you are using, is usually okay. There is no doubt in my mind that the Philips could have worked for you, but with a higher minimum pressure. The other advantage of the Resmed is the EPR feature. It is a true form of bilevel with up to 3-cm of pressure relief during exhale. The Philips A-Flex is a lower pressure drop, and it only occurs briefly at the beginning of exhale.

RE: AHI differs between DreamStation and AirsSense 10 - Beej - 11-18-2016

One reason for different readings is different nights will vary. No night is identical.

Another possible reason for somewhat different reasons is the algorithms used to determine what constitutes an apnea or hypopnea.

RE: AHI differs between DreamStation and AirsSense 10 - JD007 - 11-19-2016

Hi Sleeprider
Many thanks for your reply.
Your comments are helpful in trying to work my way through the 'maze' of sleep machines, therapies and results.

Initially the DreamStation was set at 6 - 15
I found the 6 to be tooo strong to start with. I used the Ramp feature (set at 4).
For me, the DreamStation seems to push the air out differently than the AirSense 10. The DreamStation seems to be 'more aggressive'.

As mentioned, so far the AirSense 10 seems to be more comfortable to use. And, the results are looking better. Once I have my mask set, I barely notice the AirSense is on.

I still have the DreamStation here and was going to give it another go.

Also, I am still trying to work my way through the reports and graphs to get a better understanding of the daily results (Leaks, Pressures etc).

For Software, I have SleepyHead and Encore Basics.

Cheers
JD

RE: AHI differs between DreamStation and AirsSense 10 - DeepBreathing - 11-19-2016

G'day JD - welcome to Apnea Board. I think SleepRider has nailed it. To some extent it's a Falcon v Commodore argument - they do the same thing but achieve it in a different way. In my view, you should go with the machine which is most comfortable and gives you the best results.

You're right - the prices here are disgusting, especially when Resmed is ostensibly an Australian company. Knowing what I know now, I'd have no hesitation buying a machine in from the states. Have a look at the Supplier list at the top of this page - a number of these companies will supply to Oz and at a much lower price than you can get locally. In doing this, you might be cutting the cord to your local clinic, but the great majority of issues can be sorted by members of this forum.

RE: AHI differs between DreamStation and AirsSense 10 - Ockrocket - 11-19-2016

Well I just found the response and information Sleeprider useful and interesting.

I'm very happy with the Dreamstation I bought a while back, and the Dreamstation is keeping me within compliance needs to keep my commercial driver's licence.

I may have considered the Airsense as well if I'd had time to research better, but the need to get my licence reinstated and back to work was the overriding factor in my situation.

RE: AHI differs between DreamStation and AirsSense 10 - holden4th - 11-19-2016

Hello JD007

Another Aussie here and I agree that prices here in OZ are outrageous.

I spent about 8 months on an S9 (the precursor to the Resmed you tried) and it worked well for me. A bargain offer saw me purchasing a Respironics from the US (the previous model to the Dreamstation) and now that I've got it set up fairly close to what I need I find the gentler algorithm working well for me.

if you want to have a play with your Dreamstation look at your 90% average for the last couple of weeks then set the minimum 2 whole points below and the maximum at least 3 points above. This will allow the Philips machine to work just as well as the Resmed.

The backlight can be turned off.

As Deepbreathing said "To some extent it's a Falcon v Commodore argument" but as 4WD man it's Patrol vs Landcruiser for me. Go the mighty Pootrol

RE: AHI differs between DreamStation and AirsSense 10 - stephennic - 11-19-2016

Hi,
I tried various machines including the airsense 10 and for her model. I found it more aggressive than the dreamstation, I ended up with more gas issues with the airsense. I found the dreamstation gentler and smoother to breath with and ended up purchasing that model (Dreamstation auto cpap). It seems other have found the reverse to be true too, so in the end it is what is most comfortable for you to breath on.
I have mine set on auto, 6.5 to 10? , Have you tried the A-flex pressure relief, there are 3 settings, that can help a lot. Try each setting. Also I see you using a nasal pillow are you using the right setting for that.
Cheers
Steve

RE: AHI differs between DreamStation and AirsSense 10 - Perchas - 11-19-2016

(11-07-2016, 02:51 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(10-25-2016, 09:42 AM)Perchas Wrote:
(10-24-2016, 05:59 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Dump the starting pressure of 4, change min pressure to 7.0-8.0. Looks good otherwise. Don't suffer through the low pressure, it isn't going to work as evidenced by the snores, and ragged breathing until the machine reaches pressure. It's clear you need higher pressure, and I'm sure you already know it.

Thanks Sleeprider,

Minimum pressure corrected to 7, great help that you offer.

I'll keep asking for advice, again with this Auto CPAP

(11-07-2016, 06:44 AM)Perchas Wrote: [Image: ad9e1994db5ecdf1d8aff9695703138eo.jpg]

Great night, great machine, great software, splendid forum, magnificent members.

No more comments.

Thank you for your help

Okay, next time I'll ask you for advise. I think I've had a perfect score exactly once. Well done. Cool

To test 7 days in C.Check, keep the adjustments in the minimum and maximum that advise the machine, the result is extraordinary, also to the wise advices received.

From 44 AIH to 0 is not bad, as it says "Perfect", now go from 0.8 to 1.4 AIH

Here in Europe prices are scandalous, so I bought this in the USA at a price of a tcket of the Madrid Opera House

RE: AHI differs between DreamStation and AirsSense 10 - trish6hundred - 11-19-2016

Hi JD007,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and with your trials of the Dream Station and the Airscense10.