Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[News] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION & SLEEP - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [News] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION & SLEEP (/Thread-News-ATRIAL-FIBRILLATION-SLEEP)

ATRIAL FIBRILLATION & SLEEP - srlevine1 - 12-01-2016

Here is an interesting article ...

Atrial Fibrillation: What Puts You at Risk and How to Avoid It

Note: this is a two part article.

While I do not appear to have atrial fibrillation, I have another recently discovered complex (PACs, PVCs, VT) arrhythmia ($100,000 in hospital costs and an implanted Medtronic LINQ recorder) that appears to be under control with drugs (Amiodarone, Verapamil).

I have observed (anecdotally) that my AHI numbers declined significantly with control (8 to sub-1). Fewer apneas (central and obstructive), hypopneas, and reras with all settings being the same on my aPAP.

Suggestion: watch those electrolytes (sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium), thyroid activity, and kidney function as you age.

RE: ATRIAL FIBRILLATION & SLEEP - holden4th - 12-02-2016

I thought that Atrial Fibrillation is treated with a pacemaker after it got to second or third degree block.

I have first degree AV block and no drugs or treatment are necessary - this from my cardiologist.

RE: ATRIAL FIBRILLATION & SLEEP - srlevine1 - 12-02-2016

(12-02-2016, 05:52 AM)holden4th Wrote: I thought that Atrial Fibrillation is treated with a pacemaker after it got to second or third degree block.

I have first degree AV block and no drugs or treatment are necessary - this from my cardiologist.

Is your cardiologist also an electrophysiologist? The difference was explained to me by my PCP: a cardiologist deals with the plumbing and an electrophysiologist deals with the electrical system. For arrhythmias, you may want to consult both.

You must be asymptomatic (without symptoms) or the likelihood of further problems are minimal if no treatment is necessary. Sort of like RBBB (Right Bundle Branch Block).

RE: ATRIAL FIBRILLATION & SLEEP - Jimsp1 - 12-02-2016

More simply put the cardiologist are either a plumber or electrician. I see both types. Ablations for the most have resolved afib issues but because of frequent pac's and pvc's the electrician suggested I should be tested for sleep apnea. I only tested on the high side of mild and the APAP machine they put me on keeps the AHI <1. Unfortunately it has not improved the frequency arrhythmia's so I'm not sure if it is worth continuing with the APAP.

RE: ATRIAL FIBRILLATION & SLEEP - kwhenrykerr - 12-02-2016

consider setting you machine to its lowest setting and look at the reports. It may be helping you. What are the settings now ?

RE: ATRIAL FIBRILLATION & SLEEP - srlevine1 - 12-02-2016

(12-02-2016, 10:51 AM)Jimsp1 Wrote: More simply put the cardiologist are either a plumber or electrician. I see both types. Ablations for the most have resolved afib issues but because of frequent pac's and pvc's the electrician suggested I should be tested for sleep apnea. I only tested on the high side of mild and the APAP machine they put me on keeps the AHI <1. Unfortunately it has not improved the frequency arrhythmia's so I'm not sure if it is worth continuing with the APAP.

It is my understanding that APAP therapy is also a preventative for future worsening of heart issues. So you may want to continue therapy until your next sleep test. I hope you have downloaded #SleepyHead and are looking at the results.

It does not appear that APAP has done anything effective in combatting my frequent PACs and PVCs. However, de-stating apneas during sleep can cause havoc with one's heart and lungs.

Best of luck with continuing good health.

RE: ATRIAL FIBRILLATION & SLEEP - holden4th - 12-03-2016

(12-02-2016, 07:41 AM)srlevine1 Wrote:
(12-02-2016, 05:52 AM)holden4th Wrote: I thought that Atrial Fibrillation is treated with a pacemaker after it got to second or third degree block.

Is your cardiologist also an electrophysiologist? The difference was explained to me by my PCP: a cardiologist deals with the plumbing and an electrophysiologist deals with the electrical system. For arrhythmias, you may want to consult both.

You must be asymptomatic (without symptoms) or the likelihood of further problems are minimal if no treatment is necessary. Sort of like RBBB (Right Bundle Branch Block).

My understanding, which is limited because I'm not a cardiologist, is that I have a slight delay in electrical conduction from the atrial sinus node(?) through to a similar node (atrioventricular?) The delay time is not an issue but could also be an indicator that I will develop a higher degree of blocking in the future. One of the issues could be the BP medication I am on and maybe I should change it.

I'll raise these issues with my cardiologist when I see him and I appreciate your input. Anything to prevent a health issue is welcomed.

RE: ATRIAL FIBRILLATION & SLEEP - kwhenrykerr - 12-03-2016

What ever it takes to keep the oxygen level up will help prevent future, further harm and may allow some healing. For me their is no way back...