Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] hose valve noise - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] hose valve noise (/Thread-CPAP-hose-valve-noise)

hose valve noise - ArtistEd - 12-03-2016

The hose valve to my full mask had become unbearably clicky and so I just took it off and pushed the hose in the mask hole. I can tell you, that was the best sleep I've had since I've been using the CPap for about 2 mos. My AHI went from 12-15 to 4.6 last night, while the pressure went from 10-12 to 14 last night.
My question is, do I need that valve?

Thanks, Ed

RE: hose valve noise - justMongo - 12-03-2016

:Welcome: If I understand the valve you are talking about -- it's called the entrainment or antiasphixia valve.
It's in the elbow of the coupler.

It's there so you can breath if the machine shuts down. It's considered a vital safety feature.
It shouldn't be flapping unless you have a high leak rate; or the valve is broken; or the pressure is set too low.

Also, I think the vents are in a circular ring where the elbow plugs in. Don't block those or the mask won't flush exhaled breath.

Bottom line: Work the problem; don't bypass a safety feature.

RE: hose valve noise - ArtistEd - 12-03-2016

ThanksJustMongo for the reply, This morning when I checked it out, I could see it palpitate both in and out. Now, I tried it again and it works as it should---so, what'd you do to fix it?LOL Could the moisture cause it from the humidifier?

Ed

RE: hose valve noise - trish6hundred - 12-05-2016

Hi ArtistEd,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: hose valve noise - Sleepster - 12-05-2016

(12-03-2016, 08:24 PM)ArtistEd Wrote: Now, I tried it again and it works as it should---so, what'd you do to fix it?

Mine does that when its wet.

Quote:LOL Could the moisture cause it from the humidifier?

That, or water left behind from washing it, or both. When the bedroom is cooler you get more condensation. You can lower the setting on your humidifier, insulate the hose, heat the hose, or any combination of the above.

RE: hose valve noise - ArtistEd - 12-05-2016

Sleepster,
Thanks for those ideas. The moisture in the tube is definitely the problem.

The last 7 days have recorded the mask fit at 100%, but my mouth is still terribly dried out, even though the humidifier is at 5(highest) on my Dreamstation auto.

Any solutions for that?

Ed

RE: hose valve noise - Beej - 12-05-2016

(12-05-2016, 08:55 PM)ArtistEd Wrote: ... my mouth is still terribly dried out, even though the humidifier is at 5(highest) on my Dreamstation auto.

Any solutions for that?

Ed
Have you tried any of the over the counter aids for dry mouth, such as Biotene Spray?

RE: hose valve noise - ArtistEd - 12-05-2016

Not yet, I was hoping for a hardware fix, I guess. I will give it a try though and thanks for the reply and suggestion.

Ed