Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Slimline Hose vs Standard on S9Autoset - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Slimline Hose vs Standard on S9Autoset (/Thread-Slimline-Hose-vs-Standard-on-S9Autoset)

Slimline Hose vs Standard on S9Autoset - grammyD - 08-11-2012

Does anyone notice any differences in data when using slimline hose instead of standard?

RE: Slimline Hose vs Standard on S9Autoset - zonk - 08-11-2012

Welcome to the forum
I haven,t used the standard hose. If using the standard hose, adjust the tube setting in the clinical setup or patient setup menu. Also if using full face mask ensure "Full Face" setting is selected.

RE: Slimline Hose vs Standard on S9Autoset - trish6hundred - 08-11-2012

Hi grammyD, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum.! I don't know the answer to your question about the data difference (if there is any,) between slimline and standard hose but keep checkin' back as I'm sure someone will be able to answer that for you. Best of luck.

RE: Slimline Hose vs Standard on S9Autoset - zonk - 08-11-2012

Bump2
The question might apply also to PRS1 users. PR System One machines uses slim and standard hoses too.

RE: Slimline Hose vs Standard on S9Autoset - vsheline - 08-11-2012

(08-11-2012, 01:23 PM)grammyD Wrote: Does anyone notice any differences in data when using slimline hose instead of standard?

Welcome grammyD!

As long as the correct hose type setting (Slimline or Standard) is selected on the machine, the machine will correctly calculate how much pressure is dropped (or lost) across the hose, so it will be able to make sure the pressure reaching the mask (and you) is correct.

If someone is using a standard hose but the machine is mistakenly set for Slimline type, the difference will usually be small and negligible, EXCEPT when the flow is large, such as when a large Leak is occuring, in which case the machine would over-estimate how much pressure is being dropped in the hose, so the machine would end up delivering too much pressure to the mask (delivering more pressure than it reports is reaching the mask).

Similarly, if someone is using a Slimline hose but the machine is mistakenly set for Standard type, the difference will usually be small and negligible, EXCEPT when the flow is large, such as when a large Leak is occuring, in which case the machine would under-estimate how much pressure is being dropped in the hose, so the machine would end up delivering too little pressure to the mask (delivering less pressure than it reports is reaching the mask).

Similarly, if someone is using a 3 meter long standard hose but the machine is mistakenly set for (2 meter long) Standard type, the difference will usually be small and negligible, EXCEPT when the flow is large, such as when a large Leak is occuring, in which case the machine would under-estimate how much pressure is being dropped in the hose, so the machine would end up delivering too little pressure to the mask (delivering less pressure than it reports is reaching the mask).

All this is less important when using an S9 AutoSet machine, since the machine is monitoring your breathing and will automatically increase or decrease the pressure as much as needed (within the limits for min and max pressure) to help avoid obstructive apnea events, even under moderate leaks.

And as long as the correct mask type (full face, or whatever) and hose type settings are used, the machine will accurately report the amount of unintentional Leak, if any.

Take care.

RE: Slimline Hose vs Standard on S9Autoset - archangle - 08-11-2012

I don't see why so many people have the hots for a slimline hose anyway. Sounds to me like high priced optional "go faster" stripes on a new car.

I'd expect things to be better with a standard hose.

RE: Slimline Hose vs Standard on S9Autoset - JJJ - 08-12-2012

(08-11-2012, 11:54 PM)archangle Wrote: I don't see why so many people have the hots for a slimline hose anyway. Sounds to me like high priced optional "go faster" stripes on a new car.

I tried one at a DME office. It's more flexible and more comfortable. Sadly, my PRS1 is too old and doesn't have the slimline hose option.

RE: Slimline Hose vs Standard on S9Autoset - zonk - 08-12-2012

The climateline is few cm,s longer than the slimline hose.
How long is the standard hose?

RE: Slimline Hose vs Standard on S9Autoset - mjbearit - 08-12-2012

I did switch from standard to slim hose on my machine, it is not an S9 though it is a Respironics. I changed the setting in the panel and I noticed no change in my numbers at all.
To answer the question from Archangel, the mask I use is so light weight and the headgear so minimal I was having issues with the weight of the hose dragging it off my face, or just breaking the seal, when I would move too much. I was trying to get something lighter to hopefully minimize this issue. It did work and while I do still have the problem once in awhile, it is far less frequent. The hose was something like $14.00 so definitely not a high-priced racing stripe!