Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Trying to Get Comfortable - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Trying to Get Comfortable (/Thread-Trying-to-Get-Comfortable)

Pages: 1 2

Trying to Get Comfortable - LaurieA - 12-30-2016

Hi All, this is my first post but I've been lurking and reading since I first started with my cpap in early November. It would be awesome if we'd just get a link to this forum when we get our diagnosis - it's been very helpful.
I know there are lots of posts about mask fitting and I've tried to read through as many as I can.
Here's my deal - during my trial period (3 days) while they checked the pressure needed, I had the nasal pillows mask. I really like how less intrusive they are, but the second and third night it whistled so much, mostly on exhale, that I couldn't stand it. I asked for a mask fitting and the person just said, they won't work for me. Reading here, I see that I should have tried other sizes. I was using the extra small size and they didn't give me the small and medium that come in the package so I could try those too.
With my Airsense 10 Autoset, I have the N10 nasal mask currently, size small. It's not too bad. I like that I can read before I fall asleep with my glasses.
What I'm having difficulty with is that I can't get the adjustments right, even after a couple months. I'm getting a little air leakage by my eyes (although it's not showing on the My Air), and sometimes I wake up and my upper lip is numb! I keep trying to loosen it as much as possible, but it doesn't seem to matter. I think things move when I roll over and tighten up on me. I also sometimes have red marks where the mask is on my face and I don't like that look Sad
Any suggestions?
Laurie

RE: Trying to Get Comfortable - Gideon - 12-30-2016

I would try the pillows again the small and extra-small especially.
While they need very little strap pressure the angle of insertion I found to be important. The fact that the straps on the P10 is light also means that it is prone to movement. You can try a headband over the P10 strap to reduce it's movement.

RE: Trying to Get Comfortable - LaurieA - 12-30-2016

With the pillows, what angle might stop the whistling sound? I still have the extra small one and can try again. When they gave it to me, all that was said was that they didn't have to go in the nostrils.

RE: Trying to Get Comfortable - Gideon - 12-30-2016

They are NOT supposed to go in the nostrils, just rest lightly on them.

The size, R and L are on the bottom. I would get a leak if I had the mask upside down. Start with the pillows mostly vertical then start your machine while holding and move them slightly to stop leaks, maybe press in a very little harder. If you still have a leak doing this you need a different size or a different mask.

RE: Trying to Get Comfortable - LaurieA - 12-30-2016

Thanks! I'll give those a try again.

RE: Trying to Get Comfortable - C0mbe - 12-31-2016

I am also new to CPAP therapy, and I had a lot of trouble with the P10's initially. One thing I found really helpful was to actually go up a size on the pillows. According to the resmed fit guide I was a small, but I was battling leaks and a feeling of suffocation even after raising the pressure. Moving up to the medium was the answer.. they rest on my nostrils, I have less leaks, and no more suffocation.

Good luck!

RE: Trying to Get Comfortable - LaurieA - 12-31-2016

Thanks for that tip. For some unknown reason, when they gave me the nasal pillows to try during the 3 day trial (to see what air pressure I should use), she only gave me the extra small and quietly took the other two sizes back. I didn't realize it came with the three sizes till I looked at the packaging.
If I order the pillows for my resupply, they will give me a three month supply - it said 5 sets, but I'd to know if I'd like the other sizes first before I commit to that. Maybe I can try to schedule another mask refittting. This is with Kaiser through Apria.

RE: Trying to Get Comfortable - OpalRose - 12-31-2016

Yes, ask to try a larger size. You probably need a small or medium.

Most of these suppliers/DME's really don't know how to fit a person. I was given an extra small when I first started. It went into my nostrils pretty far and was uncomfortable. Luckily, my DME gave me all three sizes, so I tried the small and it works fine, but the medium is the best for me. It should not be inserted into the nostril, but just a little, and mostly sit outside of nose. Once the air is on, it seals perfectly.

Another thing is to use a nasal gel or lanolin cream in nostrils to help with ittiration.

RE: Trying to Get Comfortable - sonicboom - 12-31-2016

(12-30-2016, 10:51 PM)LaurieA Wrote: I also sometimes have red marks where the mask is on my face and I don't like that look Sad
Any suggestions?
Laurie

Supplier 31 (click on the supplier link at the top of the forum page) will have options to help you with face marks. Good luck with your mask fitting. If the P10s don't work you might also try the Dreamwear mask.

RE: Trying to Get Comfortable - trish6hundred - 12-31-2016

Hi LaurieA,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and getting comfortable with it.