Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Confession time - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Confession time (/Thread-Confession-time)

Confession time - dreman - 01-03-2017

Ok, it's time for confession. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea several years ago, and got a CPAP machine. I mostly did it to control my snoring so my wife would quit bugging me about it. After awhile it didn't seem to help anymore, and she moved downstairs. So I went to another doctor (couldn't remember who the first one was) and got a second test run. They said I needed a BiPAP, and gave me my current ResMed S9 VPAP S. It didn't seem to change things much, so I only used it occasionally. Wife stayed downstairs. Now my ex-wife.

I have been through several jobs in the last 5 years, and all of them had one reason or another why they laid me off. Industry downturn, not enough work, and one company simply imploded. But the last one just flat fired me. Said I was too sleepy on the job. It really made me stop and think. I really liked that job, and wanted to keep it. But if I was looking sleepy all day on the job, I really must not be getting the sleep I need.

Now, with no job, no insurance, and few prospects, I need to get my sleepiness under control. I need this BiPAP to work, and I want to work at it. But I may have damaged it. I took the filter off a while back when it got clogged, and couldn't find the replacements. Since I didn't believe in the machine all that much, I didn't worry about it. Now I find that the machine is shutting down overnight from overheat. I woke up this morning with the mask still on my face, but no airflow. Is there any way to clean it?

I went through the setup menus to see what the setup is, and here is what I have:
SETTINGS
Mode S
IPAP 24.0
EPAP 19.0
Easy-Breathe On
Ti Max 2.0
Ti Min 0.3
Rise Time 300 (Grayed Out)
Trigger Med
Cycle Med
Max Ramp 45min.
Start EPAP 4.0
Mask Nasal Ultra
Tube Slimline

OPTIONS
Climate Ctrl On
Sleep Quality On
Leak Alert Off
SmartStart On
AB Filter No
Date 3 jan 2017
Time 14:01

REMINDERS
Mask Off
Recur 6mnths
Water Tub Off (It does have the water tub)
Recur 6mnths
Tube Off
Recur 6mnths
Filter Off
Recur 6mnths
SD Card Off
Recur Off
Service Off
Recur Off
Custom 1 Off
Recur Off
Custom 2 Off
Recur Off

CONFIGURATION
Language English
Restore Defaults ->
Erase Data ->
Press. Units cmH2O
Temp. Units *F (used degrees symbol instead of asterisk)

Mask is a ResMed Quattro FX.

Any suggestions?

RE: Confession time - justMongo - 01-03-2017

Filters are cheap and you can get them from Amazon. The 10 series filters are identical to the S9.

Where did you come up with IPAP=24 and EPAP=19?
Seems way too high unless you are an extreme case.
really need to know why those numbers -- did they come from a sleep study?
If they are just a guess, then it's not a good guess.
The high pressure setting may be overheating the machine.

Recommend you turn off smartstart; and set the ramp starting EPAP to 6 or 8.

This may be a power brick problem -- high current load from high pressure + humidifier.

Do you really have a slimline hose on it? Check that.

And, if you are using a ResMed Quattro mask, the mask type = Nasal Ultra is wrong.

You really need a VPAP Auto so it could find a best pressure range for you.

RE: Confession time - Sleeprider - 01-03-2017

Dreman, download #Sleepyhead and install it on a computer. You can still pull the SD card from your S9 and we can review your past results and maybe help find out what can really turn it around. My signature has links showing how to organize data and post it for help on the forum.

With regards to operation, I would suggest using compressed air, and see if you can clear the problem. If it is just dust it should be fine, otherwise, you may need a replacement or repair. Make sure you are not using a soft pad or towel under the machine and don't block air vents.

RE: Confession time - dreman - 01-03-2017

The pressure settings are supposed to be from a sleep study, but the mask has always been a full face mask, so I hold any of the settings suspect. I will try your suggestions and see what happens.

RE: Confession time - cant_sleep_in_nj - 01-03-2017

I have never taken one apart but to clean it, compressed air would be my go to. then check the cable unless youre using an extension cord, then id get rid of the ext cord.