Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Help Mask Hicky - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Help Mask Hicky (/Thread-Help-Mask-Hicky)

Pages: 1 2

Help Mask Hicky - forhumanservices - 01-11-2017

Hello Cpap friends,

I have been on cpap for the last couple of months...been through 3 masks...
the mask I have been using the most (full face) is giving me issues now..have a mask picky and just got fed up last night and took it off..
What to do? I have tried the nasal pillow but my jaw drops open...tried the chin strap but I have to have it so tight ...it hurts.
Please help!

RE: Help Mask Hicky - kwhenrykerr - 01-11-2017

What do you mean a Hicky ?

RE: Help Mask Hicky - trish6hundred - 01-11-2017

Hi forhumanservices,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for answers to your question.

RE: Help Mask Hicky - Beej - 01-11-2017

By hickey, do you mean your skin is getting pinched, and then bruised, around where the mask sits?

RE: Help Mask Hicky - forhumanservices - 01-12-2017

Yes, correct.
Last night I went back to the nasal pillows because I was worried about
getting all marked up...
woke up several times during the night trying to re-position and keep my mouth closed...
I wonder if the whole thing works at all if my mouth opens, and all the air just comes out my mouth...
Truly a PITA to get used to..

RE: Help Mask Hicky - justMongo - 01-12-2017

(01-12-2017, 09:45 AM)forhumanservices Wrote: I wonder if the whole thing works at all if my mouth opens, and all the air just comes out my mouth...

It is not working. The pressure is being released through the mouth. You'll have to find a way to keep the mouth closed; or use the full face.

Take a look at padacheek from Supplier #31. It might permit you to wear the FFM in comfort.

RE: Help Mask Hicky - Newbee2016 - 01-12-2017

Try a chin strap.

There are also some strong views against using tape (e.g. 3M Nexcare micropore) but do read up on the different views and cautions on it before contemplating it.

Thanks,
so far the chin strap has to be so tight it hurts...
Maybe I need to find a better chin strap..
Who has the most comfortable fuel face mask there is?

RE: Help Mask Hicky - Sleeprider - 01-12-2017

It appears your full face mask is a poor fit. It should not require being tightened in a way that causes bruises and marks. What brand/model of mask is it? What are your pressures? Please consider filling out your profile more completely.

thanks I had it sized at the cpap place...
mask res-med Airfit-10 size large
I use the res-med -AirSense 10 Auto
Pressures 7-20 CWP with ramp starting pressure 5 CPW