Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
CPAP rental period is up...they say come in and get a brand new machine? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: CPAP rental period is up...they say come in and get a brand new machine? (/Thread-CPAP-rental-period-is-up-they-say-come-in-and-get-a-brand-new-machine)

CPAP rental period is up...they say come in and get a brand new machine? - JustMac - 01-17-2017

My insurance paid for a 3 month rental before allowing full purchase of the machine. Now, that 3 months has passed and my DME provider is asking me to set an appointment, and come in and switch out EVERYTHING for brand new stuff to complete the purchase. Now, I'm not opposed to getting brand new equipment again (although, all the rental equipment they gave me was brand new too Huh ), but I'm just wondering if this is a swindle to try and charge me full price on another unit? Or is this a common practice across the industry?

Does this sound right to anyone?

RE: CPAP rental period is up...they say come in and get a brand new machine? - Sleeprider - 01-17-2017

Call and ask your insurance. Most rentals apply the rental costs towards purchase of the same unit. Rentals are frequently 3 or 13 months. You don't see many year-old machines exchanged at the end of a 13 month rental. You should have the right to see the invoice before agreeing to anything. It's a good question. Do you have deductibles and copay?

RE: CPAP rental period is up...they say come in and get a brand new machine? - Mosquitobait - 01-17-2017

Totally new to me. Rental units are usually used. Insurance (and Medicare) does Rent To Own program. How could you possibly make money if you used new units every time you had a rental and then replaced it with new? Makes no fiscal sense. Just make sure to check the run hours and make certain they give you the SAME machine.

RE: CPAP rental period is up...they say come in and get a brand new machine? - Mr. Van Winkle - 01-17-2017

If I remember correctly my rental applied directly to the cost of the equipment.
I guess the rental is more for the Insurance companies than the DME, so they can see your in compliance before the pay for the whole machine.
But your deal sounds fishy...
Good Luck !
And....Sleep-well

RE: CPAP rental period is up...they say come in and get a brand new machine? - justMongo - 01-17-2017

Watch out for bait and switch. OP has an autoset. They might try to swap it for a straight CPAP.

RE: CPAP rental period is up...they say come in and get a brand new machine? - Sleeprider - 01-17-2017

(01-17-2017, 09:32 PM)justMongo Wrote: Watch out for bait and switch. OP has an autoset. They might try to swap it for a straight CPAP.

I don't think so JM. While an autoset has a new retail higher than the fixed CPAP units, the difference isn't enough to offset trading used for new.

RE: CPAP rental period is up...they say come in and get a brand new machine? - big_dave - 01-17-2017

(01-17-2017, 09:34 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(01-17-2017, 09:32 PM)justMongo Wrote: Watch out for bait and switch. OP has an autoset. They might try to swap it for a straight CPAP.

I don't think so JM. While an autoset has a new retail higher than the fixed CPAP units, the difference isn't enough to offset trading used for new.

JM still has a valid point--if the DME has a policy of renting a used machine first. That is, renting a new machine could be a one-off.