Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Positional Apnea. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Positional Apnea. (/Thread-Positional-Apnea)

Pages: 1 2

Positional Apnea. - Johnboy - 01-28-2017

Since starting Apap 6 weeks ago and using Sleepyhead i noticed that my events came in clusters. I suspected that this was due to me turning over and sleeping on my back. Needed to prove this and found an app for my Ipad that records me when i move and also shows the time. When compared sleepyhead data this morning it correlated exactly with the video evidence. So sleeping on my back really stimulates my apnea events. Here's hoping i can find a good way to prevent back sleeping. Anyone for tennis?

RE: Positional Apnea. - Beej - 01-28-2017

A wedge or body pillow might help keep you propped tilted to a side, preferably the left if you have GERD (reflux) as it will help reduce that, too.

RE: Positional Apnea. - Johnboy - 01-28-2017

(01-28-2017, 12:18 PM)Beej Wrote: A wedge or body pillow might help keep you propped tilted to a side, preferably the left if you have GERD (reflux) as it will help reduce that, too.

Thanks. Don't have gerd in fact Apap has stopped overnight indigestion totally.

Amazon shows a number of body pillows that might work as does Google Shopping

Some baby crib wedges might work too, plus having washable covers.

RE: Positional Apnea. - C0mbe - 01-28-2017

Pregnancy pillows are actually really good for stopping you from sleeping on your back. You can find ones that are a little more ergonomic than a traditional body pillow.

RE: Positional Apnea. - Sleeprider - 01-28-2017

(01-28-2017, 11:52 AM)Johnboy Wrote: Since starting Apap 6 weeks ago and using Sleepyhead i noticed that my events came in clusters. I suspected that this was due to me turning over and sleeping on my back. Needed to prove this and found an app for my Ipad that records me when i move and also shows the time. When compared sleepyhead data this morning it correlated exactly with the video evidence. So sleeping on my back really stimulates my apnea events. Here's hoping i can find a good way to prevent back sleeping. Anyone for tennis?

JB, take a look at your pressure stats on the machine.  According to your profile it is set to a default 4-20.  I think you should set the minimum pressure to either your current average pressure, or to within 2 cm of your 90% pressure.   Simply put, the Philips Dreamstation is not capable of increasing pressure fast enough when you roll over onto your back to prevent these apnea clusters.   You may find that if you give it this head-start, you can freely turn onto your back without experiencing the clusters of events.  I would forego trying to change your sleep position until you have tried some additional minimum pressure.

(01-28-2017, 02:13 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(01-28-2017, 11:52 AM)Johnboy Wrote: Since starting Apap 6 weeks ago and using Sleepyhead i noticed that my events came in clusters. I suspected that this was due to me turning over and sleeping on my back. Needed to prove this and found an app for my Ipad that records me when i move and also shows the time. When compared sleepyhead data this morning it correlated exactly with the video evidence. So sleeping on my back really stimulates my apnea events. Here's hoping i can find a good way to prevent back sleeping. Anyone for tennis?

JB, take a look at your pressure stats on the machine.  According to your profile it is set to a default 4-20.  I think you should set the minimum pressure to either your current average pressure, or to within 2 cm of your 90% pressure.   Simply put, the Philips Dreamstation is not capable of increasing pressure fast enough when you roll over onto your back to prevent these apnea clusters.   You may find that if you give it this head-start, you can freely turn onto your back without experiencing the clusters of events.  I would forego trying to change your sleep position until you have tried some additional minimum pressure.
Thanks sleeprider. Actually i need to update the settings info. My settings are actually now 13-20. I have never been able to work out what 90% pressure means.

RE: Positional Apnea. - Sleeprider - 01-28-2017

What is your average pressure? On #Sleepyhead and on your machine you can find your 90th percentile pressure. For Sleepyhead, go to the menu under File/Preferences/CPAP and change the Preferred Averaging Calculations to Normal Average instead of median, and 90% instead of 95%. I also like to show the 99% for maximum. I just find these statistics more useful.

This will result in the statistics on the left margin on your daily detail charts to reflect averages and 90%.

Sleeprider I have done as you suggested. I have attached the screenshot to let you see the result of making the changes. From your previous post does this mean I should bump up minimum to 15?
ALso what do you think of leak rate?
Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

[Image: TfgUY]

http://imgur.com/a/TfgUY

The AHI is nice - 2.8.

Are there any particular areas of concern? You can highlight that section and do a screenshot of that in specific detail.

Note - if the event colors nearly overlap, the colors may bleed together for example red + blue shows purple.