Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
First night with CPAP - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: First night with CPAP (/Thread-First-night-with-CPAP--16534)

First night with CPAP - stereoswimmer - 02-03-2017

So last night was my first night using my CPAP machine, and it took a bit of getting used to. My mask was initially way too tight, and it was pushing so hard into my nose that my nose was starting to hurt. I had to readjust the straps in the middle of the night.

When I woke up in the morning, I stopped my device (ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto), and it said that I was only in use for about 4 hours even though I had it on all night. Did it reset because I had to readjust my mask in the middle of the night?  

Those were really the only issues I had last night. I have to download the SleepyHead app for tonight's sleep. So, I've still got a long way to go.

RE: First night with CPAP - Sleeprider - 02-03-2017

If you're referring to MyAir usage, I got zero credit for the whole first night. Don't worry about it, you've got a long time to go. #Sleepyhead will be more useful. Be sure to download and use it.

RE: First night with CPAP - stereoswimmer - 02-03-2017

Yeah, it wasn't the MyAir app though. It was just on the sleepy summary that I only got 4:26 when I had it on the whole night. But I'm downloading SleepyHead to make sure I can monitor things from now on.

RE: First night with CPAP - stereoswimmer - 02-03-2017

One more thing I've found myself needing to get used to is the designed vents in the mask. I have a Philips Dreamwear mask, and there's vents in front of the "pillow" and at the swivel joint. It kinda made me nervous about mask seal, but my machine confirmed that I had a good seal.

RE: First night with CPAP - cate1898 - 02-04-2017

Hi stereoswimmer and welcome to the forum!

With the DreamWear mask, when I want to check the seal while I am wearing it rather than do a fit-test, I just put my finger horizontally above the nasal pillow where it meets my nose and feel for any air leaking, then do the same below where it rests just below the nostrils. This method works well for me.

RE: First night with CPAP - 4speed - 02-04-2017

I am only 2 weeks into treatment so I am not a seasoned user, but I was surprised with how little mask pressure is required to get a 100% seal with my Dreamwear mask.

RE: First night with CPAP - stereoswimmer - 02-04-2017

Well, my first two nights are in the books. First night, my AHI was 6.1 and last night was 8.1. My auto pressure had me up at 13 for most of last night. I made sure the seal was tight, but I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong because my AHI is still up there.

RE: First night with CPAP - Sleeprider - 02-04-2017

Stereoswimmer, it would help if you updated your profile with equipment and pressures. You know the drill...we can look at your chart and probably make a call, but guessing is kinda futile.

RE: First night with CPAP - stereoswimmer - 02-04-2017

Was just working on that! Big Grin

RE: First night with CPAP - Sleeprider - 02-04-2017

Thanks  Thanks for understanding!   Laugh-a-lot