Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
First night on autopap (central apneas) - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: First night on autopap (central apneas) (/Thread-First-night-on-autopap-central-apneas)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

First night on autopap (central apneas) - JohnnyGobbs - 02-09-2017

Last night was my first night. I'm using airsense 10 autoset. I got the data from entering clinical mode on the machine (see below).

I had no problem falling asleep or anything.  So I'm wondering where these centrals came from. I had a pretty high RDI on my sleep studies (esp in rem and on my back) but AHI was always around 8 or so. I only had 1 central during sleep study (only slept 3 hours). I know the data is limited but what do you guys think? Is 6.5 centrals normal first night? I had approx. two glasses of wine last night btw (if that means anything). Thx.

RE: First night on autopap (central apneas) - Gideon - 02-09-2017

Your AHI is high, and your indicated Centrals are as well.  We want to see under 5 for your AHI.
The question is how to adjust.  For that it will really help if you get SleepyHead software (free), organize your charts, take a screenshot, and then post.
See my signature for the how to.

Fred

RE: First night on autopap (central apneas) - PaytonA - 02-09-2017

It is normal to see some centrals when starting on CPAP. This is probably due to your body picking up oxygen a little more easily with the CPAP. Centrals should abate in a week or so. If this is not the case then you should talk to your doc.

Looks to me like you had a good first night.

You might want to download Sleepyhead software so you can keep track of your treatment. you might also want to get the clinicians manual from the Set-up manual link at the top of the page. The manual tells you how to get to all the features on your machine and gives you an idea what they do.

Welcome to the forum. You have found a good place.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: First night on autopap (central apneas) - richb - 02-09-2017

Hi JohnnyGobbs.  Welcome to the Apnea Board.  Yes your data is very limited but it is still highly likely that your Centrals are related to your treatment.  These sometimes go away on their own but there are several tweaks to your settings that could just about eliminate them as well.  You have a very good data capable machine.  Your best bet is to install the Sleepyhead software and post some data snapshots. You may also want to download the Clinicians manual to get a better idea as to how you make the minor changes that might be necessary.  You are on your way to gaining control of your therapy and this Board is here to help.

Rich

RE: First night on autopap (central apneas) - JohnnyGobbs - 02-09-2017

Thx Payton, Rich and everyone for the responses! This board is great. I will get access to more data (I had to go into clinical mode in the machine just to get that much).

Hoping the centrals go down as that's somewhat alarming and unexpected.
That's 6.5 centrals an hour right? (So 50 centrals total basically last night).

Would alcohol at dinner time effect results (even with apap treatment)?
I know it can't help but maybe 3 nights a week I'll have two glasses of wine and just wondering if typically that effects people with apap or if apap just ups the pressure those nights and the end AHI result is the same as a no alcohol night.

RE: First night on autopap (central apneas) - Sleeprider - 02-09-2017

Post your minimum and maximum pressure and EPR setting. It might help with making a judgement. Also #Sleepyhead can't be beat for seeing what is going on. I don't know that one night is a basis for making changes, but it sure doesn't look like these settings are doing you any favors either.

RE: First night on autopap (central apneas) - trish6hundred - 02-09-2017

Hi JohnnyGobbs,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

(02-09-2017, 04:03 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Post your minimum and maximum pressure and EPR setting.  It might help with making a judgement.  Also [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] can't be beat for seeing what is going on.  I don't know that one night is a basis for making changes, but it sure doesn't look like these settings are doing you any favors either.

Min 5.0
Max 18.0

EPR level 2
EPR type Full time

RE: First night on autopap (central apneas) - Sleeprider - 02-09-2017

Thanks for replying back with your settings of 18/5 and 2 EPR. Hopefully you will have a more comfortable night. Be sure to download #Sleepyhead software so we know how these events correlate to pressure.

Are these good starting settings?

Could these settings be contributing to the centrals?

Off topic: this forum really isn't playing well with my iPhone. It's not configuring the forum to the size of my phone well and it's quite glitchy. Any suggestions to make it smoother? Thx.