Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Pre calibrated machine question (mask setting) - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Pre calibrated machine question (mask setting) (/Thread-Pre-calibrated-machine-question-mask-setting)

Pages: 1 2

Pre calibrated machine question (mask setting) - JohnnyGobbs - 02-09-2017

Just received my machine yesterday that they said was already calibrated. It's a resmed air autoset 10, my mask is an eson nasal mask but the mask setting on the machine is set to pillows. Is this just a mistake by whomever calibrated the machine? Thx!

RE: Pre calibrated machine question (mask setting) - PaytonA - 02-09-2017

Yes. Just change it to nasal.

RE: Pre calibrated machine question (mask setting) - JohnnyGobbs - 02-09-2017

Okay will do. This is the first mask of any type I've ever tried. I'm a nose breather, how are the pillows compared to the mask? They certainly seem more convenient. Is there a consensus or is it just personal preference between mask and pillows? Thx!

RE: Pre calibrated machine question (mask setting) - doctorb - 02-09-2017

Question and a statement. I have a Dreamstation Auto Bipap machine. The mask settings on the machine are 1x,2x,3x, and 4x. The statement is that the machine would automatically give me the flow I required based on my breathing. I tend to disagree.

Then they said the masks from Philips Respironics would marks the correct setting on the masks.  NOT SO. On my Dream Wear I use 3x and on my optilife nasal pillows (medium) 4x. Can anyone tell me if this is correct?

RE: Pre calibrated machine question (mask setting) - Gideon - 02-09-2017

2 posts to read
How to achieve the perfect mask fit - GUARANTEED  an oldy but goody.

and a more recent one.
My Mask Primer  this is a work in progress

RE: Pre calibrated machine question (mask setting) - Crimson Nape - 02-09-2017

Hi doctorb  Welcome

The P-R masks that I have used came with the leakage setting information on a product sheet enclosed with the mask. I hope this will prove useful.

RE: Pre calibrated machine question (mask setting) - MitchS - 02-09-2017

Hello, doctorb. Welcome to the forum.

The owner's manual for the Dream Wear recommends a setting of x1 for all sizes. The owner's manual for the Optilife recommends a setting of x2 for the medium pillows.

Mitch

RE: Pre calibrated machine question (mask setting) - MitchS - 02-09-2017

(02-09-2017, 03:05 PM)JohnnyGobbs Wrote: Okay will do. This is the first mask of any type I've ever tried. I'm a nose breather, how are the pillows compared to the mask? They certainly seem more convenient. Is there a consensus or is it just personal preference between mask and pillows? Thx!

Most things with masks are personal preference depending on how they fit you and how they affect your treatment. You are right, the pillows are a lot more convenient than most other masks. Since you aren't a mouth breather it might be good to try a pillow mask before settling on a nasal mask. I would recommend trying the Respironics P10. It is one of the quietest, most comfortable masks out there.

Good luck with finding the right mask. It is one of the hardest things about CPAP.

RE: Pre calibrated machine question (mask setting) - PaytonA - 02-10-2017

(02-09-2017, 03:49 PM)doctorb Wrote: Question and a statement. I have a Dreamstation Auto Bipap machine. The mask settings on the machine are 1x,2x,3x, and 4x. The statement is that the machine would automatically give me the flow I required based on my breathing. I tend to disagree.

Then they said the masks from Philips Respironics would marks the correct setting on the masks.  NOT SO. On my Dream Wear I use 3x and on my optilife nasal pillows (medium) 4x. Can anyone tell me if this is correct?

The mask resistance settings are not changed automatically by the machine but the operating pressure should be changed by the machine within the limits that are set for it. It is the pressure that the machine changes to help your breathing which also changes the flow. What is it that you are disagreeing with?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: Pre calibrated machine question (mask setting) - JohnnyGobbs - 02-11-2017

Two questions:

Regarding trying other masks/pillows, who do I contact to do this (my doctor, the company, my insurance??) not sure of the protocol.

Also, my machine has gotten loud during inhales (found a prior thread about the air sense 10 doing this). So same question, who do I take this conplaint to? Thx!