Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New to the board and using a cpap need suggestions - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New to the board and using a cpap need suggestions (/Thread-New-to-the-board-and-using-a-cpap-need-suggestions)

Pages: 1 2 3

New to the board and using a cpap need suggestions - bigpapa7272 - 02-12-2017

Hi everyone

I am new to the boards, I went on vacation a few weeks ago and roomed with someone, they said my snoring was so loud they couldn't sleep.  It was so bad we had to sleep in shifts and my roomie was so concerned that i stop breathing several times in my sleep  the first they kept waking me up to make sure i was alive.  i also have been feeling really tired when waking up and wanting naps during the day.    So i came home from vacation,  explored my options,  as fare as going through insurance or not.  Based on my plan its not worth going through since my deductible is so high.  So I ordered a home test through supplier 30  and  a few days later and got a prescription in my email .  I have a prescription for a cpap auto machine with humidifier  and debating which unit to buy.  

I am back and forth between the dream station and the air-sense a 10 auto which one is better?

Mask wise I was also looking at the amara view full face mask,  since i am a mouth breather.  Any other suggestions? 

Also which is better when it comes to tubing, is the heated airtube worth it it or are the standard tubes fine?

Do i need to buy my stuff with supplier 30 or can i take my precription to another supplier who has better prices?

Any help would be appreciated as I embark on this new journey of having a cpap and hopefully helping me sleep better!

RE: New to the board and using a cpap need suggestions - sptrout - 02-12-2017

Welcome! 

I will throw in my 2 cents where I can. 

Both of the machines that you mentioned are used and liked by many. I decided not to buy the Dream Station when I saw it sitting next to the ResMed unit. The footprint of the Dream Station is much larger (with humidifier attached) than the ResMed so keep that in mind when looking at the space you plan to use for the machine, not to mention when traveling. Space can be really limited in some hotels. 

No help with the mask, I am not a mouth breather so I use a pillow mask. 

I would go with the heated hose. Not much more and you never know when you will need it. 

I know nothing about supplier 30, but if they gave you a legal prescription then I see no reason not to shop around. 

Good luck, all of us here have been down the same road.

RE: New to the board and using a cpap need suggestions - justMongo - 02-12-2017

The prescription should be good anywhere.
Both the Dreamstation and the Airsense 10 Autoset are good machines. Some feel the Resmed AIrsense is better as it raises pressure more aggressively to head off events.

Go to Amazon and use their search on "Respironics dx500t11". They have it for $375; and it's a steal at that price.
If you want the resMed Airsense 10 Autoset, look at Supplier #2 for open box specials. They have it for $749 or $785 with the climateline hose. You'll likely want a climateline hose in Maryland.

RE: New to the board and using a cpap need suggestions - bigpapa7272 - 02-12-2017

[quote pid='191603' dateline='1486934787']

I know nothing about supplier 30, but if they gave you a legal prescription then I see no reason not to shop around
[/quote]

It's digitally signed by the doctor and his registration number is on there and I just went and verified the number online.  So I feel it would be good to go.

This is just as painful as buying a car so many options and places to buy....

(02-12-2017, 05:19 PM)bigpapa7272 Wrote: [quote pid='191603' dateline='1486934787']

I know nothing about supplier 30, but if they gave you a legal prescription then I see no reason not to shop around

It's digitally signed by the doctor and his registration number is on there and I just went and verified the number online.  So I feel it would be good to go.

This is just as painful as buying a car so many options and places to buy....
[/quote]

Understand. I recommend going for the best you can afford and not look back. Just like buying a car. 

Also remember, once you have a machine then other spending opportunities come up, like back up power, back up equipment (CPAP). Will not end for awhile. So much fun. Sounds more and more like buying a car. 

Just keep asking questions and let the real experts (like justMongo, not me LOL) on this board provide guidance.

A reminder, whatever machine you buy make sure that it is compatible with Sleepyhead software. You will really kick your self if it is not. I believe both machines that you have mentioned are, but I am not sure about Dream Station. I am sure someone will come back with an answer to that question.

RE: New to the board and using a cpap need suggestions - Russatrice - 02-12-2017

Just a heads up if you should decide to go with the Dreamstation: make sure it's the full Auto version and not the Dreamstation Pro, which has only a 30 day auto trial, and otherwise runs in fixed CPAP mode. I unfortunately made that mistake because I didn't know better, even though the price difference was minimal. Good luck on your journey, it'll be fine once you're all set up.
On the mask end, a lot of people like the Amara view. I'm using a F&P Simplus and like it, it's more comfortable than it looks, especially with a mask liner. Buying a mask is a bit of a lottery if you can't try it on, so you could look for a supplier with a return policy. Not sure which one on the list does that.

RE: New to the board and using a cpap need suggestions - bigpapa7272 - 02-12-2017

Supplier 30 offers an easy payment plan but why do easy payment and pay 868 when you can buy the dream station auto outright for 350-400 when searching Amazon and I can get it next day pickup at no extra cost.

I really like both machines and like the smaller factor on the air sense even at its longest point we are only talking a difference of an  inch or 2 vs dream station.   but if it's gonna come down to cost I would rather own the machine outright than  to be Stuck with 12 months of payments for the exact same item.

Supplier 30 offers a mask guarantee at an additional cost of 25 bucks if you add when purchasing a mask if the mask doesn't work or fit to your liking you can return for a full refund.  Not a bad idea but then again it shows you how much markup is in this industry....

RE: New to the board and using a cpap need suggestions - Russatrice - 02-12-2017

(02-12-2017, 06:39 PM)bigpapa7272 Wrote: Supplier 30 offers a mask guarantee at an additional cost of 25 bucks if you add when purchasing a mask if the mask doesn't work or fit to your liking you can return for a full refund.  Not a bad idea but then again it shows you how much markup is in this industry....

Don't you just wonder what they do with the returned masks?

Oh and by the way, the Dreamstation Pro and Auto are compatible with Sleepyhead. The basic model, I believe, has less data but you wouldn't want that one anyway, it's what they call a "brick."  Grin

It makes you wonder but shows there's a load of markup I would to see the invoice prices on CPAP equipment....