Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New Discovery - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New Discovery (/Thread-New-Discovery)

New Discovery - mjbearit - 08-23-2012

Hey I found out something kinda cool! I can lower my AHI by not sleeping! My AHI for last night was .84! Whoohoo! I was in bed wearing my APAP for 7 hours. I was actually asleep for 3.5 hours. I am so tired! I can't wait for bed time tonight! I slept great from 9:00 PM until 11:00 PM, then it all went sideways! I so hate those kinda nights. No rhyme or reason, it just happens. Maybe it's a senior thing?

RE: New Discovery - eaglett1111 - 08-23-2012

No way. There is no such thing as a "senior thing." Yeah right.

Sigh.

Totally relate.

So. To get "real" numbers, we need to turn off the machine after a certain period of sleepnessness. When did falling asleep get so hard? I remember it just being a fact of life. Sheez.

RE: New Discovery - trish6hundred - 08-23-2012

Hi mj, Sorry you had such a rough time last night, hope you sleep better tonight.

RE: New Discovery - eaglett1111 - 08-24-2012

Hi MJ - so I'm up at 2 a.m, having followed in your footsteps. Slept great from 9-1. I'll try to go back to sleep here in a little while, and no I did not leave the machine running! I hope you have better news about your sleeping tonight.

RE: New Discovery - jodiramm - 08-24-2012

I know exactly how you feel. I average between 3 or up to 6 hours of sleep a night. Usually the 3. Only difference is that i have to get up and go to work that day so there is no going back to sleep. I have a horrible time staying asleep at night and i thought the CPAP was supposed to help with that? I may be forced into an early retirement because of it too.

RE: New Discovery - DocWils - 08-24-2012

Uh, the POINT of CPAP is that you can get a full night's rest. Of course your AHI goes down the less you sleep while wearing the mask - being awake and OSA are rarely related. I would be the last person recommend cutting back on sleep just to trim your AHI - the point of using a CPAP is that you have been experiencing sleep and O2 deprivation - okay, you stay awake on a CPAP and your AHI goes down, but so what?

Sleeplessness while using a CPAP needs to be examined, if you are already used to the device and you are sure that the disturbance of the actual wearing of it is not causing the sleeplessness. I too have found that I am waking up after a few hours - but it may well be that what we are all dealing with here is bad sleep hygiene, brought on by years of OSA or developed since we have switched to the mask. Either way, you need to talk to your sleep doc about it.

RE: New Discovery - zimlich - 08-24-2012

Less hours certainly means less apneas. Please use your machine all night. Good luck.

RE: New Discovery - PollCat - 08-24-2012

Must have been "one of those nights"! I went to bed at midnight, woke at 2 am, toss and turned and finally got up and took a pain-pill at 3; slept soundly until the school buses woke me at 6:45 this morning. Oh-jeez

RE: New Discovery - mjbearit - 08-24-2012

Well I'd like to say I slept like the dead last night, but looking at my data I can see that wasn't exactly true! LOL! Wilorg it has nothing to do with my PAP. I've always been a bad sleeper. However, I haven't had a night that bad in a long time. In fact since I started using my PAP again! Hmmmm! Anyway, did the usual last night and woke up a few times but got back to sleep no problem.
And yes, I will lay there with the machine on when I can't sleep because even napping a bit can help the next day when one has to sit at a desk and do boring stuff all day, and if you sleep at all, you need to be wearing your machine! My machine does not bother me awake or alseep. It is just part of me so that I don't even notice it until I reach the end of my hose! LOL!