Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Hello to everyone [question on machine type] - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Hello to everyone [question on machine type] (/Thread-Hello-to-everyone-question-on-machine-type)

Pages: 1 2

Hello to everyone [question on machine type] - KCFLY - 03-01-2017

Hello!

I guess I am about to dive into the wonderful world of sleep apnea.

I completed a sleep study last week.  My doctors office called to tell me I have been diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea and that I should be hearing from someone about a machine.  That's all I know at this point.  I should be receiving a full copy of my sleep test results in the mail.

From poking around here it seems I should be sure to be getting an AUTO machine, not just a fixed cpap and that the airsense 10 autoset or the dreamstation auto are generally the top two choices.

Is that correct?

I just want to be sure if the DME provider calls, I am ready to have a conversation with them.

Thanks for the community here.

RE: Hello to everyone - justMongo - 03-01-2017

Welcome

Sounds like you have done your homework.

RE: Hello to everyone [question on machine type] - SuperSleeper - 03-01-2017

Howdy KCFLY,

You might have already read the stickie thread on machine choices, but if not, here it is:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Machine-Choices-read-this-before-you-accept-a-new-machine

Make sure you read that post and the links in it before talking to your Durable Medical Equipment supplier (DME).

Coffee

RE: Hello to everyone [question on machine type] - srlevine1 - 03-01-2017

Whatever your choice between ResMed (which I personally recommend) and Phillips, make sure you download analysis software, either ResScan or #SleepyHead, to help you gain insight into the effectiveness of your therapy. Be sure to try multiple masks if possible because mask selection appears to be one of the major issues with new users. I like the older ResMed Mirage Activa LT (nasal) rather than a pillows style or full face mask -- personal preference as I am a side-sleeper with a beard.

Best of luck with an effective therapy to give you restful nights and better tomorrows.

RE: Hello to everyone [question on machine type] - Beej - 03-01-2017

If you don't already sleep on your side, doing so may help reduce obstructive events. A firm pillow or reading wedge can help prevent you from rolling on your back. I have a Therapedic Reading Wedge that is working well.

RE: Hello to everyone [question on machine type] - KCFLY - 03-02-2017

Thanks everyone. I'll update when I hear from the DME.

RE: Hello to everyone [question on machine type] - trish6hundred - 03-02-2017

Hi KCFLY,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck as you start your CPAP therapy.

RE: Hello to everyone [question on machine type] - KCFLY - 03-04-2017

Well, still haven't heard from DME provider, but finally got my sleep study results.

Here are some results, would love to hear some feedback as I don't know much of anything yet. (although I am trying to learn)
I slept as little as possible the previous two nights so I would be good and tired for the test. There is a lot more data on the report but this seemed to be the highlights. Doesn't look too bad to these untrained eyes and should be easy enough to treat.

Total Sleep 444.5 min
Stage N1 41 min 9.2%
Stage N2 324 min 72.9%
No Stage N3
Slow Wave 8.0 min 1.8%
REM 71.5 min 16.1%
WASO 8.5 min

Sleep Latency 1.5 min
REM Latency 120.5 min
# of Arousals 191
Arousal Index 25.8
Sleep Efficiency 97.8%

1st 167 minutes - no mask
Obstructive 67
Central 3
Mixed 0
Hypopnea 15
Total 85
AI 25
AHI 31
REM AHI 5
Low O2 was 87%

With mask at 7cm
173 min
Obstructive 0
Central 5
Mixed 0
Hypopnea 0
Total 85
AI 2
AHI 2
REM AHI 1
Low O2 was 93%

RE: Hello to everyone [question on machine type] - Hydrangea - 03-05-2017

It only took you a minute and a half to fall asleep?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Well-done Shock-2 Congrats Thumbs-up-2  Amazing

RE: Hello to everyone [question on machine type] - Sleeprider - 03-05-2017

The cutoff for moderate to severe sleep apnea is 30, so you will be diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea with mainly obstructive events and hypopnea and a SpO2 nadir of 87%. The second half of your study does not mention any titration, but a fixed pressure of 7.0 cm resolved all obstructive apnea, with 5 centrals noted for an AHI of 2 and SpO2% of 93 minimum.

The study will recommend treatment with CPAP at a pressure of 7.0. You will be scheduled for an appointment with a DME supplier who will probably discuss mask options and dispense a CPAP. About the only suggestion here, is for you to think about what mask interface you will be most comfortable with, and to try to get a CPAP machine that records efficacy data so you can monitor your therapy. You could request auto CPAP, but since your sleep study shows perfect results with fixed pressure at 7, I'll be surprised if that is recommended, however many DMEs now dispense auto machines with fixed CPAP pressure as the default. You may be one of the lucky ones. If auto CPAP is important to you and you want to improve your chances, you should select a DME that does this. You will need to identify DMEs in-network and have your prescription sent there. You do not have to use the DME your doctor or clinic recommends or "normally uses".