Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
CPAP FILTER, CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: CPAP FILTER, CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE (/Thread-CPAP-FILTER-CHANGE-OR-NOT-TO-CHANGE)

Pages: 1 2 3

CPAP FILTER, CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE - pavelow360 - 03-11-2017

I believe the recommend change interval for the CPAP filter is one month. I am rather new to this and it seems that it is a scam. I have been using my machine since December and there is no apparent change to my filter. I asked a colleague who had been using a CPAP machine for years. He said that he just rinses his filter out with water. I am curious on what other people do out there.

RE: CPAP FILTER, CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE - facemir - 03-11-2017

Every six months for me.  As recommended by ResMed.

RE: CPAP FILTER, CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE - justMongo - 03-11-2017

I change the one in my ResMed's intake every first day of the month.

The PR machines have two filters (stacked).

RE: CPAP FILTER, CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE - Hydrangea - 03-11-2017

I've got a PR, so I have 2 filters (as mentioned above). I have yet to wash the big re-usable filter (in the 1 month I've had the machine)... but the air is kinda stinky lately, so I'm thinking I probably should.

I have replaced the micro-filter twice now. The most recent time I replaced it (a couple days ago) was because the air was stinky... but the microfilter still looked quite white, so that made me wonder if something else is making the air smell kinda off.

The first time I replaced the micro-filter (after 2-3 weeks of use), the air was smelling bad... and I noticed the microfilter was gray compared to a new white one.

Anyways... I don't know the answer to your question, but figured I'd throw that out there.

RE: CPAP FILTER, CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE - chill - 03-11-2017

I am pretty sure that if the air is stinky that it is not the filter.  Do you have any flatulent pets?   Grin  I am forgetful of changing mine and finally did so yesterday after, er, several months.  They were both quite dark grey.  I washed the coarse one with soap and water and replaced the fine one.  Perhaps I should pay attention to the reminders on the machine next time?   Too-funny

RE: CPAP FILTER, CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE - Beej - 03-11-2017

You are wiping down or washing the mask and frame periodically, right?

RE: CPAP FILTER, CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE - Hydrangea - 03-12-2017

(03-11-2017, 11:46 PM)Beej Wrote: You are wiping down or washing the mask and frame periodically, right?

Yes. A thorough washing (inside & out) once a week.  And wiping it down every few days. 

The first time I ever noticed a smell was after I'd run the humidifier dry one night.

RE: CPAP FILTER, CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE - RichardVT - 03-12-2017

Hydrangea
"The first time I ever noticed a smell was after I'd run the humidifier dry one night."

I notice, with my ResMed dehumidifier, when I sleep long enough for it to go dry, the air definitely has a kind of hot odor to it, almost like what a hot heater or stove smells like.

RE: CPAP FILTER, CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE - OpalRose - 03-12-2017

I wash the black foam filter once a month, and replace it after 6 months.

The white fine filter gets replaced once a month, although insurance supplies 2 per month.

There is a difference in color with the white fine filter after a month.

Alot depends on your environment.  Do you have alot of dust, pets, or keep windows open?
If yes, replace more often.

I also run a stand alone air cleaner in my room at least once a week when cleaning.

I've never had an odor problem.   Unsure

RE: CPAP FILTER, CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE - MitchS - 03-12-2017

I have two coarse filters I alternate when I wash the one I have been using each month.

The fine filter gets replaced when it starts changing colors, which is usually around six weeks or so.

Hydrangea, I've run my humidifier tank dry a couple of times. It took several days for the odor to go away.