Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] New Hose Head - humidifier settings and ResScan question - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] New Hose Head - humidifier settings and ResScan question (/Thread-CPAP-New-Hose-Head-humidifier-settings-and-ResScan-question)

Pages: 1 2

New Hose Head - humidifier settings and ResScan question - subyroo - 08-27-2012

Hi there folks, I have just received my Resmed S9 Autoset and have been having problems at night with blowouts (leaks) on the bridge of my nose and the RH corner of my mouth, I'm using a small Quattro FX Full Face mask.

During the night I have to re-adjust the positioning of the mask at least 3 - 4 times, plus my mouth feels like sandpaper it is that dry (mouth breather), it is a real effort to even raise any saliva to moisten my mouth, I have taken putting a bottle of water beside my bed at night to moisten my mouth. I have been taking the mask off at around 5:00am and having 1 - 2 hrs sleep without the CPAP. I feel really great all day better than prior to having the CPAP.

Last night I tried holding my tongue against the roof of my mouth to force myself to nose breath but felt like I was suffocating slowly, so back to mouth breathing. I tried my normal night nasal spray the night before and it didn't help with nose breathing either.

I started with the humidity setting at 27 and I am now up to 30 which is as far I can adjust the setting, it has made a difference but I feel I need to be able to adjust it higher to stop the dry mouth issue.
Can the humidity be set higher than 30 on the S9 Autoset?

Also when using the Resmed software to monitor my own sleep does it erase the data from the SD card, I don't want get the "Sleep Doctor" offside to early in the peace.

RE: New Hose Head - trish6hundred - 08-27-2012

Hi subyroo, I don't know the answer to your questions but WELCOME! to the forum.! Hang in there and someone will be along to answer your questions shortly.

RE: New Hose Head - PaulaO2 - 08-27-2012

Leaking at the nose can be dangerous as it can dry out the eye. That is why I could not find a nasal mask that worked for me and use nasal pillows instead.

There is a product that is like a mouth moisturizer but dang if I can remember the name of it. It is non-prescription and helps with that problem, according to folks here who use it. Aha! Biotene. Not sure what it is called in Oz.

Have you had your nose checked for polyps? If you do not have polyps, the sensation of not getting enough air is a mental one. If you can breathe through your nose during the day, you can at night. The problem is the claustrophobia element. We think we aren't getting enough air because the nose is covered. Try sitting around at home, wearing the mask with the machine on. This will give you a chance to get used to it and to work on breathing through your nose. You also get accustomed to knowing you are indeed getting enough air.

There's saline solutions to use to rinse out the nasal cavities. Sounds grosser than it really is. If you are congested, this would help with that but if it is just the feeling of not enough air, that's not going to do much.

30C is 86F and that is as high as mine goes. Too much humidity can be as bad as too little.

No, the software will not erase the data. Some folks take the extra precaution of sliding the lock on the card then sliding it back off before putting it back in the machine. If I remember correctly, the machine re-writes the data (or maybe compares it) when the card is put back in.

RE: New Hose Head - zonk - 08-27-2012

Hi subyroo and welcome to Apnea Board
The Quattro Fx designed to sit mid bridge ...Make sure the mask is the right size and following the fitting instructions as shown the swing and seal method. You may want try a mask liner. If you can breathe through your nose ....Try a nasal mask with a chinstrap
http://www.resmed.com/au/products/quattro_fx/videos.html?nc=patients&sec=true

If you,re not getting enough humidity with the climate control on auto mode ...Try the climate control in manual mode which you can set temp and humidity separately to preference or use the slimline but in both options rainout protection is not guaranteed as in auto mode

The S9 SD card stores:
365 days of therapy and compliance data (summary and statistics)
30 days of detailed data (graphs)
7 days of high resolution flow data
http://www.s9morecomfort.com/s9morecomfort/new_en_gb/compliance-management.html

RE: New Hose Head - subyroo - 08-28-2012

(08-27-2012, 09:09 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi subyroo, I don't know the answer to your questions but WELCOME! to the forum.! Hang in there and someone will be along to answer your questions shortly.

Thanks for the Welcome trish6hundred. Big Grin

(08-27-2012, 09:10 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Leaking at the nose can be dangerous as it can dry out the eye. That is why I could not find a nasal mask that worked for me and use nasal pillows instead.

There is a product that is like a mouth moisturizer but dang if I can remember the name of it. It is non-prescription and helps with that problem, according to folks here who use it. Aha! Biotene. Not sure what it is called in Oz.

Have you had your nose checked for polyps? If you do not have polyps, the sensation of not getting enough air is a mental one. If you can breathe through your nose during the day, you can at night. The problem is the claustrophobia element. We think we aren't getting enough air because the nose is covered. Try sitting around at home, wearing the mask with the machine on. This will give you a chance to get used to it and to work on breathing through your nose. You also get accustomed to knowing you are indeed getting enough air.

There's saline solutions to use to rinse out the nasal cavities. Sounds grosser than it really is. If you are congested, this would help with that but if it is just the feeling of not enough air, that's not going to do much.

30C is 86F and that is as high as mine goes. Too much humidity can be as bad as too little.

No, the software will not erase the data. Some folks take the extra precaution of sliding the lock on the card then sliding it back off before putting it back in the machine. If I remember correctly, the machine re-writes the data (or maybe compares it) when the card is put back in.

G'day Paula 02,

I tried the Nasal pillows during my overnight stay in hospital using a CPAP and because I'm a "mouther" it dried my mouth out because i could keep my mouth closed.

We have Biotene here in Australia too, I meant to buy some yesterday after reading about it on this Forum.

I use Budamax Aqeous Nasal Spray to keep my nasal & sinus passages clear at night.

I already have the Resmed software installed but was unsure if it removed the data from the card when it was downloaded.

Thanks for your reply.

(08-27-2012, 09:38 PM)zonk Wrote: Hi subyroo and welcome to Apnea Board
The Quattro Fx designed to sit mid bridge ...Make sure the mask is the right size and following the fitting instructions as shown the swing and seal method. You may want try a mask liner. If you can breathe through your nose ....Try a nasal mask with a chinstrap

If you,re not getting enough humidity with the climate control on auto mode ...Try the climate control in manual mode which you can set temp and humidity separately to preference or use the slimline but in both options rainout protection is not guaranteed as in auto mode

The S9 SD card stores:
365 days of therapy and compliance data (summary and statistics)
30 days of detailed data (graphs)
7 days of high resolution flow data

I had a good nights sleep with the Quattro FXmask when in hospital for CPAP testing, the nasal pillows and a couple of other masks didn't suit me.
I think it will take a few nights to get it set up right to suit my home environment and sleeping style/s.

I don't yet know how to get into the manual settings of the S9, the only humidity settings I see at the moment go from 26 - 30, the manual settings must be hidden away somewhere in the Menu, which I will investigate later.

Thanks for your reply also.

RE: New Hose Head - zonk - 08-28-2012

The S9 manual available by Email (section three)
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pressure/change-cpap-pressure-settings-adjusting-your-machine-with-a-clinician-setup-manual

S9 setup and videos
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

H5 humidifier
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/documents/product/h5i/welcome_guide/368690_h5i_welcome-guide_apac_eng.pdf

ClimateLine
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/documents/product/climateline/user_instructions/368715r2_climateline-climatelinemax_user-instructions_glo_eng.pdf

Thanks for the links Zonk. :grin:

RE: New Hose Head - subyroo - 08-31-2012

Today I manually set the humidity & temperature for my S9, tonight will be a new test run. I am getting the Quatrro FX sorted out bit by bit for my home situation, it's a whole lot different to being in a controlled environment like the hospital.

I have set the Temp at 26°C and the Humidity at 4.0, it was 3.0 when set on Auto.

Last night was a horror night I woke up during the night feeling like I was suffocating and couldn't get the mask off fast enough, I slept the rest of the night without the APAP and felt a bit tired for the rest of the day.