Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] Optimal AHI - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] Optimal AHI (/Thread-CPAP-Optimal-AHI)

Pages: 1 2

Optimal AHI - MikeV99 - 03-22-2017

My wife uses an Resmed AirSense A10 for Her with autoset of 8-16. Last night her readings were AHI 6.1, Leak 4L, and Pressure of 14. She uses a Simplus FFM with chin strap. The lowest AHI reading she has had was around 3. Are there any other settings that would affect AHI (ramp, EPR, ?)? Would sleeping on her back impact the readings? What should be her expectations for AHI readings?

Thank you.

Mike

RE: Optimal AHI - Mark71 - 03-22-2017

Hi Mike.
Ramp, EPR, and sleeping on your back can all affect AHI.  If you can post some screenshots of sleepyhead data, people will be better equipped to answer your questions and provide helpful input.
The medical community considers an AHI of 5 or less as "treated", but you can usually do better with some small adjustments.

RE: Optimal AHI - Sleeprider - 03-22-2017

Mike, we need to know how much of that AHI is CA. If you put the setting for Essentials from ON to PLUS it will breakdown the AHI on screen. You need to go to clinical settings to make that change. If you're using Sleepyhead for her data, then you know that has better information. We can't make setting changes without more information.

RE: Optimal AHI - Gideon - 03-22-2017

Interesting title Mike,

What is the "Optimal AHI",  Medically anything 5 and under is considered treated.  Around here we like to get the AHI down as low as we can get it and still have the user feeling good.

Pretty much anything can influence AHI, everything from the common cold to . . .

The best way to get quality advice for your wife is to post her data and mention any issues with central or complex apnea that may have shown up on your wife's sleep study.

Fred

RE: Optimal AHI - MikeV99 - 03-22-2017

AHI 6.2, Total AI 2.7, Central AI 1.4. 

I have Plus on and have the Resmed software installed. It has been a while since I looked at Sleepyhead - I use a Mac with Parallels.

Thanks

I hope I am doing this correctly? What conclusions can be made from this data?

[attachment=3313]

[attachment=3314]

RE: Optimal AHI - Marillion - 03-22-2017

I'll let the more experienced guys comment on the numbers. But a small tip that could help with them viewing the data. You should turn off the pie chart in Sleepyhead in the options. Allows more valuable data below to be seen on the screenshot.

RE: Optimal AHI - Melman - 03-22-2017

To turn off the pie chart select the file menu, then preferences, then the appearance tab, and unheck "show event breakdown pie chart. What you put up works but you may want to organize your charts as described in the link below. It's the format used on the forum.

(03-22-2017, 05:19 PM)Melman Wrote: To turn off the pie chart select the file menu, then preferences, then the appearance tab, and unheck "show event breakdown pie chart. What you put up works but you may want to organize your charts as described in the link below. It's the format used on the forum.

OK, I have turned off the pie chart. I read the instructions and organized the charts in the order suggested. What am I missing?

OK, I think I have it edited to normal procedure. Now, what can I conclude from the data?

[attachment=3315]

Thanks.