Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Adjusting my pressure - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Adjusting my pressure (/Thread-Adjusting-my-pressure)

Pages: 1 2

Adjusting my pressure - Mikefh - 03-29-2017

Hello, I'm new to the forum. Between my Cigna Insurance and Apria heathcare, I've found it slow and difficult to even talk to a human being let alone find any real help. So I'm going to try adjusting the pressure myself. I don't know if I need to increase or decrease pressure. When I put the mask on, I feel like I'm suffocating and I cannot fill my lungs with air. I have to focus breathing hard and deep. Often I have to break the seal by my nostrils to get more air in. Normally I have to leave an airleak all night to sleep. My wife hates the Darth Vader noise. What do you think? More or less pressure?

Thanks, Mike

RE: Adjusting my pressure - big_dave - 03-29-2017

Welcome

There are two ways to feel like you can't breathe--either you feel like there's not enough air when you inhale, or you feel like there's too much air making it difficult to exhale. It sounds like you're having trouble inhaling; you would want to increase your minimum pressure to at least 6. I'm a big guy, so I had to increase the minimum pressure to 8 before I felt like I was getting enough air.

If I'm wrong and you're feeling like it hard to exhale, you would want to turn on the EPR (expiratory pressure relief), which lowers the pressure only while exhaling.

RE: Adjusting my pressure - eseedhouse - 03-29-2017

(03-29-2017, 10:45 PM)Mikefh Wrote: Hello, I'm new to the forum. Between my Cigna Insurance and Apria heathcare, I've found it slow and difficult to even talk to a human being let alone find any real help. So I'm going to try adjusting the pressure myself. I don't know if I need to increase or decrease pressure.

First thing we need, if we're going to help you, is more information.  Please fill in your profile with the exact model of your machine.  Resmed makes several kinds and we need to know just which one you have.  If you are not sure how to find that out look in the links at the top of every page.

If you've been sold a decent machine that will give you decent data then we can help you quite a lot.  If you've been sold a "brick" then we can still help but it will be harder.

RE: Adjusting my pressure - Mikefh - 03-30-2017

Thanks for your help. You are right, I feel like I'm not getting enough air. I will try tonight.

RE: Adjusting my pressure - trish6hundred - 03-30-2017

Hi Mikefh,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it fine-tuned to meet your needs.

RE: Adjusting my pressure - Mikefh - 03-31-2017

Hey guys, Thanks so much. I adjusted my cpap, and last night was the first good sleep Ive had in years. I went from 3 hours on my machine, to 7:39. Hopefully this will help me feel better during the day.

RE: Adjusting my pressure - Marillion - 03-31-2017

Welcome Mike! Glad to gear you had a much better night! If you are willing to download and install Sleepyhead software on your computer (it's very easy to do) and then organize your data as shown in my signature, there is a lot more fine tuning we can help you with.

Trust me when I say it makes a big, big difference if you are able to provide us with the relevant data.

I wish you continued success in your therapy and many more great sleeps.

RE: Adjusting my pressure - Mikefh - 03-31-2017

Ok, I will soon. Thanks, Mike

RE: Adjusting my pressure - Hydrangea - 04-02-2017

Fantastic! Congrats on finding this board, and taking charge of your health!

When I started CPAP, I had the same experience... and my dr blew me off since my AHI was fine. That was when I really came to value the expertise and advice here. :-) And that's when I adjusted my own pressure, and being able to breathe!

So, good for you!

RE: Adjusting my pressure - wolfwynd - 04-02-2017

Welcome to the board from one newbie to another. I wish you well Smile