Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] new OSA patient with DeVilbiss SleepCube Plus - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] new OSA patient with DeVilbiss SleepCube Plus (/Thread-Equipment-new-OSA-patient-with-DeVilbiss-SleepCube-Plus)

new OSA patient with DeVilbiss SleepCube Plus - Jimmy99 - 03-31-2017

Hello everyone,  I am a new (first time) user of a CPAP machine.  After suspecting for the past few years that I had Sleep Apnea, I decided to do something about it and spoke to my GP who referred me to a local hospital for assessment and sleep study.  Great! it all happened within a month, I had my initial appointment then my one need sleep with the CPAP machine.  In the morning I was given a prescription that stated a pressure of 5 and the preferred nasal mask.

Ok, last night was my first night with the machine (DeVilbiss SleepCube Plus), it is Set to 5 before shipping (as I requested), all good, I managed to sleep a full 7.5 hours, no toilet breaks! but, I was initially annoyed to the noise it made on inhalation (a loud whistling noise), I was quite upset, embarrassed since I did not hear ANY noise in the Hospital as far as I can remember.  Maybe the Hospital CPAP machine was indeed placed further away and it wasn't exactly a quite environment by any means compared to the confines of my quite bedroom (even the noisy clock stopped the day before, so it's quieter still).

I understand it's only my first night and I have researched a few things to try including putting the machine a bit further away, a bit lower down, use a mouse pad and introduce some white noise.  The Wife is a bit amused by it (the noise) and the whole mask wearing scenario.  I don't know, maybe it's early days, like in the hospital, I had a full night sleep, like then and now I woke up in the morning still a bit tired and yawning, I hoped that I would wake up 99% full of energy.  My wife says give it time, ok, i will, but one family friend who has been using it for last 10 years says it's the best thing she did, like me later in life.

My OSA is classed a Severe, like 77 times an hour I stopped breathing, yet my pressure is described at 5? I shock to wonder if it was higher, the noise would be non tolerable (to my Wife). Is it early days?  any thoughts? I got this machine based on the reviews of it's low 26 Dba compared to the Philips (hospital model lower than "30 Dba").

I will disable Cplex pressure on the exhale (just worth a try I guess), check hoses, etc. Smile

As I said I did manage to have a full sleep, Wife did get over it and was happy i was not snoring 99.5% of the night.

I'll report back in a week with any updates,

Thanks in advance.

RE: new OSA patient with DeVilbiss SleepCube Plus - R994B - 03-31-2017

Hi Jimmy,

I'm also newly diagnosed and have the same machine, brand new last week. Same whistling / whirring noise on inhalation that wasn't present with the resmed machine I had on trial. I found setting the flow rounding to 4 or 5 took the edge off of the whistle and I'm also able to put mine under the bed so the mattress insulates the sound to a degree. If you find a better solution I'd be interested to hear.

Cheers.

RE: new OSA patient with DeVilbiss SleepCube Plus - trish6hundred - 03-31-2017

Hi Jimmy99,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question about your machine.
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy.

RE: new OSA patient with DeVilbiss SleepCube Plus - ajack - 03-31-2017

I would organise how to get to the data that the machine saves.
This will help, there is also the standard plus and the auto plus unit.
The link from the top of the page
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pressure/change-cpap-pressure-settings-adjusting-your-machine-with-a-clinician-setup-manual

There is also a website where you can upload your ref. numbers and it will give a result.
copy paste this into google and then click on features for the sleepcube.com link
devilbisshc.com/products/cpap_therapy/sleepcube_series/sleepcube_plus/

RE: new OSA patient with DeVilbiss SleepCube Plus - Beej - 04-02-2017

I've read here that settings of 4-5 tend not to be sufficient for adult users. Once you're able to look at your detail data, you'll have a better idea if that is the case for you.

RE: new OSA patient with DeVilbiss SleepCube Plus - Sleeprider - 04-02-2017

I'm not too familiar with the DeVilbiss cube, but if it bothers you enough to return it, get a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  Very quiet, great data and something I know something about. Cool