Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Symptoms] Inhale & Exhale - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Symptoms] Inhale & Exhale (/Thread-Symptoms-Inhale-Exhale)

Inhale & Exhale - golfgame - 04-09-2017

I recently switched from a Swift FX to a Resp. WISP mask because of a bit of sore nasal cavities.  I like the WISP very much and the leaks and CA's have been very minimal. The only issued I am experiencing from time to time is that I am finding it hard to exhale, almost to the point of being claustrophobic. I have turned off the ramp time to see if that will help.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

RE: Inhale & Exhale - Sleeprider - 04-09-2017

Are you on fixed pressure at 12/5?

RE: Inhale & Exhale - golfgame - 04-09-2017

(04-09-2017, 09:46 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Are you on fixed pressure at 12/5?

As far as know yes however I have changed them before.

Thanks

RE: Inhale & Exhale - vsheline - 04-09-2017

(04-09-2017, 12:09 PM)golfgame Wrote:

Thanks

Hi golfgame,

With bilevel machines like yours, it is important to know what therapy mode the machine is set to.  The therapy mode choices for your machine would be CPAP or S or Vauto.

Most likely, it is in Vauto mode.  In Vauto mode it is important to know all three pressure settings: (1) "Min EPAP" which is the minimum pressure while you are Exhaling, unless the machine temporarily raises it because the machine senses obstructive conditions; (2) "Max IPAP" which is the limit, the highest pressure the machine would ever use while you are actively Inhaling; and (3) "PS" or Pressure Support which is the fixed amount the pressure increases every time you start to inhale, returning back to EPAP when you start to Exhale.

For example, perhaps your Min EPAP is set to 5, Max IPAP is set to 12 and your PS may be 4.  This would mean the machine starts out providing pressure of 5 while exhaling and 9 while inhaling. If snoring or Flow Limitation (partial obstruction during inhalation) or hypopneas or apneas are occuring then the machine may raise the pressures as high as 8 during exhalation and 12 during  inhalation.

If you have been using Vauto mode, I suspect increasing the PS setting by 1 or 2 would eliminate the difficulty you are experiencing with the new mask style. 

Take care,
--- Vaughn

RE: Inhale & Exhale - golfgame - 04-09-2017

(04-09-2017, 03:07 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(04-09-2017, 12:09 PM)golfgame Wrote:

Thanks

Hi golfgame,

With bilevel machines like yours, it is important to know what therapy mode the machine is set to.  The therapy mode choices for your machine would be CPAP or S or Vauto.

Most likely, it is in Vauto mode.  In Vauto mode it is important to know all three pressure settings: (1) "Min EPAP" which is the minimum pressure while you are Exhaling, unless the machine temporarily raises it because the machine senses obstructive conditions; (2) "Max IPAP" which is the limit, the highest pressure the machine would ever use while you are actively Inhaling; and (3) "PS" or Pressure Support which is the fixed amount the pressure increases every time you start to inhale, returning back to EPAP when you start to Exhale.

For example, perhaps your Min EPAP is set to 5, Max IPAP is set to 12 and your PS may be 4.  This would mean the machine starts out providing pressure of 5 while exhaling and 9 while inhaling. If snoring or Flow Limitation (partial obstruction during inhalation) or hypopneas or apneas are occuring then the machine may raise the pressures as high as 8 during exhalation and 12 during  inhalation.

If you have been using Vauto mode, I suspect increasing the PS setting by 1 or 2 would eliminate the difficulty you are experiencing with the new mask style. 

Take care,
--- Vaughn

1. It is set to Vauto
2. Min EPAP = 7
3. Max IPAP = 12
4. PS = 4.0

Thanks