Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Cheyne Stokes from out of nowhere - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Cheyne Stokes from out of nowhere (/Thread-Cheyne-Stokes-from-out-of-nowhere)

Cheyne Stokes from out of nowhere - doickle - 04-12-2017

Hi all,

I have been working with my CPAP machine for over two months now with great improvements in how I feel. I have had a few normal hiccups in trying to make adjustments to get things dialed in just right.
I had septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery about 3 weeks ago which is healing great. My AHI has increased since the surgery but is still below 5 and I keep feeling better so I am sure I will get things totally worked out over the next few weeks.
I have just checked my data from last night and it shows a significant period of Cheyne-Stokes breathing, see the screenshot for more details.
I have no idea what this means, how it happens, or why it would happen out of the blue.
I do have epilepsy and have been going through some med changes but have reverted back to my old meds and things have been completely stable for over a week now. I'm not sure if there is any link between epilepsy and Cheyne-Stokes.
Any insight will be helpful. Do I need to see a Dr. about this? What Dr. would I see, GP, ENT, Neuro?

TIA

Doickle

Please let me know if you need to see different graphs on the screenshot.

[Image: DhpAOyAl.png]

RE: Cheyne Stokes from out of nowhere - Sleeprider - 04-12-2017

Doickle, this is not Cheyne Stokes respiration, but it is periodic breathing. I can show you the difference if it would help, but these are a form of hypopnea and OA that is occurring in an uneven periodic manner. CSR is a very smooth waxing and waning of respiration volume, usually separated by a central apnea, while these are relatively abrupt with recovery breaths on the end of the apnea or hypopnea. It is also very short in duration. The CSR affected individuals have typical AHI of 15 to over 30, with long series of centrals.

Please don't worry about this isolated incident. It does not reflect a health change, and could be as simple as disrupted sleep or a period of obstruction (note the flow limitation) that cold be anything from body position to sleep stage. No way to know for sure, but it isn't something to be concerned about.

RE: Cheyne Stokes from out of nowhere - chill - 04-12-2017

What sleep rider said.  I used to get this sometimes before I started wearing a cervical collar.

RE: Cheyne Stokes from out of nowhere - doickle - 04-13-2017

Thanks guys,

I'm still pretty new to this so I wasn't sure if it was real or if it was the machine/software doing something weird.
Add in my epilepsy concerns and I thought maybe something was going downhill.
Still have a lot to learn about this wonderful world.

Thanks for the reassurance and quick answers.