Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Facial moisturizer? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Facial moisturizer? (/Thread-Facial-moisturizer)

Facial moisturizer? - Binti1962 - 04-17-2017

Hi folks!  I've been using my APAP for about 4-5 weeks and during this time I have stopped using all facial creams and moisturizers after washing my face at night for fear they would interfere with mask seal.  I use a FFM.  However, I'm no spring chicken and my face is suffering.  Are there any moisturizers I can use that won't either degrade the plastic of the mask or interfere with the seal?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

RE: Facial moisturizer? - Beej - 04-17-2017

You might use a mask liner between your skin and the mask.
Experiment first with some soft cotton flannel.

RE: Facial moisturizer? - Tez62 - 04-17-2017

Binti1962, I agree with Beej, I'm a male but use sorbolene cream at night and in the morning, I know it is probably different to what you use,
but I use a mask liner every night. I would hate the feel of the silicone mask rubbing directly against my face.
You can buy them over the net or make your own very cheaply, the instructions are below:
I bought some Remzzz’s mask liners a 6 pack and although they say to only use them once you can wash them and get about 5-6 uses. I then made a template of what I needed from their liners and went to a fabric shop and got 3 ft of 50% cotton / 50% poly fabric and cut out my own and they also last 5-6 uses, the next time I bought 3 ft of 50% cotton / 50% lycra fabric. That last me about 3 months and costs about ten dollars. No need to do any sewing.
Hope this helps.

RE: Facial moisturizer? - Ockrocket - 04-18-2017

Though the exact opposite in all respects.. I don't use moisturiser at night (and I'm male), but over the last few months I have been using sorbolene cream to shave with instead of shaving soap or my electric razor.

I have noticed my skin is more supple and smoother, and the sorbolene leaves no discernible residue within a short period of time after using it.. I also use it on the rest of my face at the same time now.

In the past I have only been an "occasional SNAG" (Sensitive New Age Guy) and used sorbolene every few months or so... usually when my wife has pointed out my skin is starting to look dry again. 

You may need to do your moisturiser or sorbolene routine a little earlier in the evening to give it time to absorb fully in to your skin.

The mask liner option has been reported to be a good option by many people, so it may be the simpler alternative for you.

RE: Facial moisturizer? - Binti1962 - 04-18-2017

Thanks for the replies! I hadn't thought of mask liners and appreciate the tip. Also a good idea to use moisturizers earlier in the evenings to allow it to absorb.

RE: Facial moisturizer? - Marillion - 04-18-2017

I would suggest using a good quality facial cream in the morning which would be fully absorbed by the end of the day. At the end of the day use a better quality natural soap that does not dry out your skin to wash your face and then towel off before you use your mask.