Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Chin Strap or Cervical Collar??? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Chin Strap or Cervical Collar??? (/Thread-Chin-Strap-or-Cervical-Collar)

Pages: 1 2

Chin Strap or Cervical Collar??? - dhackle2000 - 04-24-2017

Looking for guidance.

Using nasal pillows and have a major problem with dry mouth and leaks. Any suggestions? If so, any specific brands? Thanks.

RE: Chin Strap or Cervical Collar??? - chill - 04-24-2017

I tried a Ruby chinstrap but my lips still leaked.  I bought a soft cervical collar and it fixed the problem for me as I am a chin tucker.   I don't think there are much in the way of brands for soft cervical collars.   They are less than $10 in a drug store.  Use until dirty and then replace is what I do.  It needs to be tight enough to keep your chin in place but not so tight that it cuts off your blood flow.  I tighten mine until it is uncomfortable, then loosed it a bit to where it is comfortable.  Then I go to sleep.   Wink

It really comes down to what works for you and what is comfortable for you.  For me, it was the collar.  For others, the chinstrap is a life saver.  You have to try it and see.  The collars are cheaper so that may be a factor in your decision of what to try first.

RE: Chin Strap or Cervical Collar??? - OpalRose - 04-24-2017

Also, try Amazon for a "soft". cervical collar. You can buy according to the size of your neck.
They even have various heights. This way you can get a customized fit.

I personally use a soft neck pillow. The one I purchased is small and made for a toddler.
This works better for me and stops the jaw/mouth from dropping.

RE: Chin Strap or Cervical Collar??? - TheDuke - 04-24-2017

I have tried several chin straps that just wouldn't stay in place. The only useful strap I have used is the PAP-Cap manufactured by PurSleep and available on-line from several vendors, including our site host. It is a cotton "helmet" device with velcro chin strap. It stays in place and doesn't take up much space at all.

TheDuke

RE: Chin Strap or Cervical Collar??? - holden4th - 04-25-2017

Cervical collar worked for me where a chin strap didn't. Much more comfortable too.

RE: Chin Strap or Cervical Collar??? - Cuppa - 04-25-2017

As said a cervical collar is cheap enough to try & obviously works for some folk. I've been wearing a soft cervical collar every night for over 5 years for a neck condition (Neural foraminal stenosis) & the collar aids in preventing headaches - it's not a problem, & I would now find it very strange not to have it on in bed so give it a go. BTW I bought 3 & believe it or not have been using the same ones for the entire 5 years +. When one gets a bit grubby my wife soaks it in a whitening nappy (diaper) wash - main ingredient is sodium percarbonate, which cleans it up nicely. The collars themselves have been surprisingly durable & still look almost new after being washed.

RE: Chin Strap or Cervical Collar??? - trish6hundred - 04-25-2017

Hi dhackle2000,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
. I hope the cervical collar works well for you, Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: Chin Strap or Cervical Collar??? - dhackle2000 - 04-25-2017

I bought a collar today and will report back my results. Thanks to everyone for their input. I have always found this site to be very helpful.

RE: Chin Strap or Cervical Collar??? - 99zzz - 04-25-2017

This works great for me:
Carefusion stop snoring chin strap + tape.

Never fails.

RE: Chin Strap or Cervical Collar??? - Gideon - 04-25-2017

Read the Mask Primer, there is a lot of talk on leak management in there, some of which you are discussing here.

Fred