Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines (/Thread-SoClean-other-CPAP-cleaning-machines)

RE: skin irritation [SoClean to blame?] - henrybasset - 11-19-2017

I'm having exactly the same issue. I normally clean my mask routinely, but had noticed I was starting to develop a cough, so I purchased a SoClean. My nostrils are cracking and irritated. It appears it's the SoClean. When used, irritation. When not, no irritation. SoClean is heading for the dump this morning.

RE: skin irritation [SoClean to blame?] - Walla Walla - 11-19-2017

henrybasset,

Welcome to Apnea Board.

Welcome

RE: skin irritation [SoClean to blame?] - HalfAsleep - 11-19-2017

Baby shampoo is my go-to cleanser for just about anything. My opthalmologist ordered me to use it on my eyelids. In the process, it cleared every blemish, whitehead, blackhead, from my face. Natch, with that experience, I use it on my CPAP equipment.

I do like wipes for my mask, though. These were on special for $.01 from Supplier #1 if purchased with a mask. Yes, a whole container of 62 of them! I can use one for a couple of days by storing it in the top of the container. This means I have 4 months’ supply for $.01.

RE: skin irritation [SoClean to blame?] - hegel - 11-19-2017

I've used my So-clean for years. Love it! No issues at all. It never claims to clean skin oils. It disinfects. And the ozone dissipates quickly. No skin issues with me.

there's a ton of reviews on Amazon and elsewhere that are mostly positive.

RE: skin irritation [SoClean to blame?] - heyslick - 11-20-2017

HALFASLEEP, if i understand you correctly, you say you use one wipe several times. Isn't that like cleaning with a dirty sponge, at least with a sponge you can bleach it.

RE: skin irritation [SoClean to blame?] - Melman - 11-20-2017

(11-01-2017, 10:52 AM)FatherCarrozza Wrote: I have been using a SoClean 2 to cleans my equipment, but I have been getting a severe reaction that dries my skin to the point of cracking and bleeding. I contacted the maker and they said it could only be due to the presence of skin oils, etc. on the mask, that the ozone cleaning process should not cause this. Does anyone have any information about this problem?

Their response confirms what most of us understand. SoClean does not clean. If it did there would be no residual "skin oils, etc." on your mask.

RE: skin irritation [SoClean to blame?] - hegel - 11-20-2017

Again, \oclean has never claimed to clean skin oils. It disinfects the mask and tubing and humidity chamber. My dme mentioned that a warm moist environment, like a rainy hose, is ideal for germs and mold. SoClean addresses this. I use a baby wipe to clean my mask-takes five seconds. Done. I'll still wash it every so often as well. 
SoClean also doesn't vacuum my apartment, but that's no reason to hate on it.

RE: skin irritation [SoClean to blame?] - Walla Walla - 11-20-2017

(11-20-2017, 03:24 PM)hegel Wrote: Again, \oclean has never claimed to clean skin oils. It disinfects the mask and tubing and humidity chamber. My dme mentioned that a warm moist environment, like a rainy hose, is ideal for germs and mold. SoClean addresses this. I use a baby wipe to clean my mask-takes five seconds. Done. I'll still wash it every so often as well. 
SoClean also doesn't vacuum my apartment, but that's no reason to hate on it.

If it doesn't clean why do they call it SoClean? The problem with SoClean is it uses ozone which does cause skin irritation for many people.

Also ozone can do a number on the parts in your machine.

But hey if you don't mind neither do I. I'll stick to dawn soap and clean my stuff the old fashion way.

Grin

RE: skin irritation [SoClean to blame?] - HalfAsleep - 11-20-2017

(11-20-2017, 10:41 AM)heyslick Wrote: HALFASLEEP, if i understand you correctly, you say you use one wipe several times. Isn't that like cleaning with a dirty sponge, at least with a sponge you can bleach it.

Every time you do one swipe, you'll pick up crud and deposit it, much like a bumblebee picking up pollen and sprinkling it hither and yon every time it settles on a lovely red flower. In other words, the wipe's immediately dirty. Tough! Let's hope, like the bumblebee, wiping and sprinkling ends up in a large positive!

By the way, whatever "natural" ingredients are in these wipes eliminate body oils from your hands..... Ahhhh, raw hands....

RE: skin irritation [SoClean to blame?] - hegel - 11-20-2017

"But hey if you don't mind neither do I. I'll stick to dawn soap and clean my stuff the old fashion way."

Yep, nothing wrong with that! I like Dawn too and use it as well on my mask and tubing periodically. Do you get the sense that I'm a germophobe?