Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines (/Thread-SoClean-other-CPAP-cleaning-machines)

RE: So Clean - Sleepster - 11-26-2017

(11-25-2017, 10:19 PM)eddie willers Wrote: For those of us who are not as conscientious and would clean their humidifier every other month and their hose once a year, it's great to have a healthier rush of air all night long.

Even the manufacturer states that it's no substitute for cleaning. And a microbiologist will tell you the same thing. Thinking that you don't need to wash your gear because you use SoClean is really the only thing genuinely dangerous about the device.

Quote:I have not had a cold since I got my SoClean last March.

I haven't had a cold since you got your SoClean last March.

RE: So Clean - eddie willers - 11-27-2017

(11-26-2017, 05:26 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I haven't had a cold since you got your SoClean last March.

Let me be more specific. Unlike before I bought my SoClean, I no longer have the colds and sinus problems that plagued me.

I still use Ivory liquid soap for my mask insert and clean the humidifier as needed. But it is much further between scrubbings for both since I got the machine.

RE: So Clean - Sleepster - 11-27-2017

(11-27-2017, 01:38 AM)eddie willers Wrote: Let me be more specific. Unlike before I bought my SoClean, I no longer have the colds and sinus problems that plagued me.

If it works for you then that's all that matters.

Quote:I still use Ivory liquid soap for my mask insert and clean the humidifier as needed. But it is much further between scrubbings for both since I got the machine.

Once a year for a hose cleaning is not often enough, IMHO. Using soap and water on the mask cushion (insert) is probably more important, though. I do mine daily simply to remove the face oils. I also rinse out the humidifier's water chamber every day and let it air dry. Otherwise it tends to build up lots of crud, and crud is the one thing the SoClean cannot remove.

The SoClean may indeed help with odors and if that works for you then that's all that matters.

RE: So Clean - eddie willers - 11-27-2017

When I first got my SoClean I was using PR's 560. The humidifier was a pain to pull out and, due to the unfathomable nooks and crannies inside, made cleaning spotty with even a washrag leaving corners untouched.

Two weeks ago I stumbled onto the great deal at that the website named after a river in Brazil has on the PR Dreamstation. I bought it.

Now THAT'S how a humidifier should be designed!  So easy to remove, large opening for filling and easy to clean fully inside.

Still, the inside of the tube and the mask itself (I hate to wash because the headband gets wet) needs attention I just would not give otherwise.

RE: So Clean - dmeRT - 11-27-2017

(11-25-2017, 08:31 PM)LabDog66 Wrote: Also, the adaptor for the DreamStation, does it work with the heated hose.

You can clean the heated hose...just have to reverse the hose when cleaning.  attach the plug side to the mask and the mask side to the adapter.

RE: So Clean - phrogpilot73 - 11-27-2017

(11-27-2017, 02:31 PM)dmeRT Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 08:31 PM)LabDog66 Wrote: Also, the adaptor for the DreamStation, does it work with the heated hose.

You can clean the heated hose...just have to reverse the hose when cleaning.  attach the plug side to the mask and the mask side to the adapter.

You don't have to do that.  My wife has a SoClean with the DreamStation adapter.  It has an electrical pass through, so you plug the heated hose in as normal.

RE: So Clean - dmeRT - 11-27-2017

(11-27-2017, 03:39 PM)phrogpilot73 Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 02:31 PM)dmeRT Wrote:

You don't have to do that.  My wife has a SoClean with the DreamStation adapter.  It has an electrical pass through, so you plug the heated hose in as normal.

I did not know this...thank you

Are SoClean Side Effects causing harm - Jmosk - 12-16-2017

Has anyone else noticed black carbon particles on the inside of their SoClean unit? While inspecting  my mask I found lots of little black dots inside it. In trying to find where these were coming from, I found them all along the interior base of the cleaner. They have to be coming from the replaceable carbon filter that is in the device. Obviously if these particles have reached my mask, I am breathing them in each night. 

I would like to hear from other users of the SoClean II if they are seeing a similar problem with their unit. Do I have an isolated problem with the filter in my unit or is this a systemic problem with SoClean. I might have gotten over the O3 smell generated by the unit but certainly not having it throw particles into my lungs.

RE: Are SoClean Side Effects causing harm - Walla Walla - 12-16-2017

SoClean uses ozone which is known to cause damage to seals in machines. It also can also cause skin rashes. It doesn't surprise me that it damages filters too. I wouldn't use one.

RE: Are SoClean Side Effects causing harm - trish6hundred - 12-17-2017

Hi Jmosk,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I would stop using the SoClean 2, just in case there was a problem with it.
Call the place where you got it and tell them about the problem you are having.
Good luck with CPAP therapy.