Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines (/Thread-SoClean-other-CPAP-cleaning-machines)

so clean - illavata - 09-01-2018

Hi

anyone know if the fit life total face mask xl will fit inside the so clean machine??

thanks

Illavata

RE: so clean - Walla Walla - 09-01-2018

Don't know about fitting in a so(not)clean machine. If you want to clean your mask though it should fit into a sink.

RE: so clean - illavata - 09-01-2018

hahaha

i actually take it in the shower everyday
to clean it
but was curious is the ozone in the so clean machine may do some disinfection

RE: so clean - Spy Car - 09-01-2018

I doubt you will find any fans of the So Clean device on this forum. I think the consensus is that ozone will damage plastic parts and isn't as effective as simply washing devices in soapy water.

Bill

RE: so clean - CB91710 - 09-01-2018

Bingo.
It is not a replacement for normal cleaning.
Normal cleaning is sufficient for preventing the build-up of harmful bacteria.
Most of the "germs" and bacteria in your system have come from your own body. Those that didn't, are in the air constantly.
Most harmful pathogens do not survive outside of the body for more than a few hours. Virtually none can live longer than 48 hours. Normal cleaning kills them immediately. Those that are not killed by normal cleaning (Hepatitis, Rhinovirus, etc...) will not be killed by exposure to ozone.

RE: so clean - Stom - 09-01-2018

I can't wait for SoClean to make a car wash...

"The car is still just as dirty!"

"Yes, but now the exposed surfaces have been slightly sanitized! Cool, right? Too bad about your trim turning yellow from the ozone, but that is just the price of this amazing convenience!"

RE: so clean - PoolQ - 09-01-2018

WOW. I am sorry, but WOW. Bacteria mutates all the time, so not every thing came from the user. Sorry. Many things last longer than 24 hours (look up MRSA and fear). There is ZERO reason for harmful bacteria to last any less time outside the body then good bacteria. There are many germs in the body that will cause severe problems if they get into another part of the body. As for ozone effecting plastic, back in the S9 days, yes indeed the ozone cause a problem with some parts, but not since.

Does the so clean sterilize good enough for hospitals or sleep center that give masks to many different people, no! Am I using it for that no. sorry, but no. I pop my mask in it every morning. I only wash my mask for face oil when needed. Does the so clean get rid of the morning breath of the CPAP, yep.

Is the so clean needed to be safe with CPAP, NO! it is not need and they use scare tactics to try and get you to buy it. This does not mean that it is useless and a total waste of money, IF you understand it and buy it for the right reasons, then IT IS JUST FINE.

Slightly sanitized? it kills any bacteria that it touches. Period. Does it penetrate films, nope. If the tube and mask are dry, then fine. If any air gets into the joints, then fine.

So why all the miff on my part? Well if I worked for so clean (I don't) and I had proof as to what the so clean does and I read about people posting false information on a public forum, I would have an issue with that and the capital to back that up.

If you don't like it, fine just say so. If people post things that they have heard and do not know for sure, at least enough that they would put money behind their "information", if it were me I would hold off on routinely slamming commercial products

If anyone wants to argue these points, or even talk about them, then bring published research and we can talk. (PS my daughter is premed and I asked her about some of the things posted in this thread and she just laughed and walked away saying "sure, right" Some of the information in this thread is actually dangerous and I am not saying that a so clean will make it benign, it is dangerous all by itself.

RE: so clean - illavata - 09-01-2018

thanks for the replies and information.
i was leaning towards getting one
hoping it may stop the sinus infections i get from time to time

RE: so clean - SarcasticDave94 - 09-01-2018

I'll be listed on the not buying So Clean side. For me, it's not worth the money, nor am I sold on the concept that I have to clean as usual and use So Clean afterwards. I do fine with whatever random cleaning schedule I follow for the mask, humidifier, and heated hose. I wipe off the ASV machine to get rid of the dust, and swapping out the filter after a visual.

RE: so clean - Stom - 09-01-2018

(09-01-2018, 04:00 PM)PoolQ Wrote: Well if I worked for so clean (I don't) and I had proof as to what the so clean does and I read about people posting false information on a public forum, I would have an issue with that and the capital to back that up.

SoClean sells with scare tactics. It uses heavy marketing to get people to buy it. It even claims to prevent sinus infections - without linking to any peer-reviewed published data proving that claim.

[commercial link removed, instead simple do a Google search for "SoClean"]

SoClean also tries to rebrand toxic ozone gas as "activated oxygen," which sounds healthier since everyone knows we breathe oxygen, but is a way for SoClean to get people to forget that the SoClean machine generates toxic gas. The degree to which SoClean works is based on the toxicity of Ozone.

I think SoClean makes many questionable claims and would be wise to stay out of any civil courtrooms where they would be subject to the evidence discovery process that would make relevant internal documents public.

---

EDIT: Doh! Didn't realize that SoClean also sells their product direct from their manufacturer's site. I appreciate the diligence of the mods.

However, merely searching for SoClean on Google isn't a valid substitute for the link I provided, which linked to specific, apparently unsubstantiated health claims by SoClean themselves. I wasn't linking generically to SoClean.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----