Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines (/Thread-SoClean-other-CPAP-cleaning-machines)

How? Turn off auto clean SoClean - Redcrew71 - 11-30-2019

Just bought bout month old SoClean.  Don’t want auto run daily just use manual.  How do you turn auto off?

SoClean - VegasPier - 12-06-2019

My wife is a new CPAP user and feels strongly about keeping the thing clean. She has been using the SoClean cleaner 2  to 3 times per week and now seems to have contracted nasal and sines problems. I see that there are reports of allergic reaction the Ozone in SoClean. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Thanks for any replies,

VegasPier

RE: SoClean - Jeff8356 - 12-06-2019

(12-06-2019, 01:54 AM)VegasPier Wrote: My wife is a new CPAP user and feels strongly about keeping the thing clean. She has been using the SoClean cleaner 2  to 3 times per week and now seems to have contracted nasal and sines problems. I see that there are reports of allergic reaction the Ozone in SoClean. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Thanks for any replies,

VegasPier

SoClean is a sanitizer, so it does not actually clean anything.  You would need to clean with soap and water first, then sanitize with SoClean second.
There was recenly a thread here on a similar subject.  Try searching the forum and you will come up with many posts.
There have been reports of skin reactions, smells, sinus problems and such.

I won't ever use one of those things.  Plain old soap and water is my tool of choice (plus a hose brush).

RE: SoClean - DeepBreathing - 12-06-2019

Resmed advise washing the mask, hose etc in pure soap and hot water. Nothing else.

I would never run a poisonous corrosive gas through my CPAP.

RE: SoClean - srlevine1 - 12-06-2019

The best cleaning method appears to be mild soap and water with an air dry. If I have a cold or other problem requiring greater control over pathogens, I use Control III, a highly effective (and dangerous if used improperly) disinfectant during these times and about once per month. It is available as a concentrate, so make sure you dilute it correctly and follow instructions.

Ozone has a short half-life, estimated about 30-40 in the atmosphere when it returns to oxygen. I would leave plenty of time between the cleaning and the use in normal practice. However, this may simply be a case of coincidence. If the sinus problems continue past a couple of weeks, it might be time to check with your physician. Some sinus-born infections are hard to control and persistent. It also could be a function of dryness, so double-check the humidity settings against the humidity in the room.

Best of luck.

RE: SoClean - OpalRose - 12-06-2019

VegasPier,
See below under “Possibly Related Threads”, there you will find more threads related to the SoClean.

I believe that using simple soap (like dawn liquid) and warm water is the key to keeping everything clean.

RE: SoClean - VegasPier - 12-07-2019

Thank all of you that responded, and any that may still respond, with your thoughts about the Soclean,

Next I'll see what to do with a very lightly used SoClean devise.

Cheers, VegasPier

RE: How? Turn off auto clean SoClean - BAZZA - 12-13-2019

Hi - 
I don't have the SoClean taking up space on my end table where my CPAP machine is.  When I wish to use SoClean, I bring it within range of my CPAP machine when I'm ready to use it and I just plug it in and punch the "Manual" button to run it.  A couple hours later, I unplug it and move the SoClean back to its storage location.  So to answer your question, I think the most bulletproof way to keep it from trying to run when you don't want it to is to unplug it.  Once you get the language and "run-time" settings (run-time defaults to 7 minutes) in place, you don't need to futz with setting the time, schedule etc. if all you want to do is plug it in and run it manually (as I do) 

Full Disclosure:  
I've been on CPAP for seven trouble-free years without SoClean - I just take a whole minute to wash the mask and drain/rinse the humidifier every morning, then once per week I use a tube brush to thoroughly wash the mask and hose  (or I fill the hose with vinegar and hang it in a "U" shape using rubber bands and a coat hanger for a few hours -- that disinfects it very well).  I either hand-wash the humidifier chamber or I run it through the dishwasher a couple times per month.  

I was given a SoClean to try out and I'm still attempting to figure out what the advantage of using it is, other than giving your equipment that "fresh" ozone smell.  
The SoClean manual makes it very clear that you still have to wash your mask, hose, and humidifier chamber as recommended by the manufacturer.   So what's the point of the SoClean?

I use a ResMed N30i nasal mask which is easy to clean with soap and water, but not so easy to clean in the SoClean because the pipes connecting the top of your head with the nasal interface part of the mask will crimp inside the SoClean chamber such that the ozone won't freely travel through them.   I think SoClean might be a better time saver if one is using a full face mask.  
Sleep-well

RE: How? Turn off auto clean SoClean - Zorki1c - 12-22-2019

Put the SoClean in a sink full of warm soapy water. That should turn it off. Then use the warm soapy water to clean you gear. Smile

RE: How? Turn off auto clean SoClean - djont57 - 12-22-2019