Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines (/Thread-SoClean-other-CPAP-cleaning-machines)

RE: How? Turn off auto clean SoClean - Feedsack - 01-15-2020

I borrowed a soclean machine sought of does this yellow the pillow of the mask?

RE: How? Turn off auto clean SoClean - jaswilliams - 01-15-2020

Resmed now officially say soclean and similar ozone cleaners void their warranty in US and Canada

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/articles/ozone-policy-initiative_patient-letter.pdf

RE: How? Turn off auto clean SoClean - mesenteria - 01-15-2020

I would guess that repeated and frequent exposure of the hose and mask components to ozone would indeed both destroy the materials over time and make them turn colours.  But, I have no firsthand experience to say it would happen definitively; it's just my expectation.

And, aside from the indisputable fact that the machine doesn't actually 'clean' (it supposedly sterilizes and de-odourizes...only) because it doesn't remove schmutz from any of the surfaces (it doesn't rinse or cremate them after all...), I would not consider buying one.

To get to your question (sorry, ethically I feel obliged to inform), there must be a downloadable instruction manual at their website.  Or, submit an email inquiry, or call them during business hours.

Can SoClean damage an Airsense 10? - Haggisboy - 01-17-2020

I have a Resmed Airsense 10. I had it for a couple of years but then bought a SoClean with the humidifier adapter for the Airsense 10. I used it diligently to "clean" my mask and hose etc almost every day. After a few months with the SoClean, the Airsense started making a progressively loud "wheezing" sound coming from what seemed to be the motor. It would actually wake me up.

I contacted my local supplier and they had me bring it in for an evaluation as it was under full warranty. They quickly determined that the Airsense was defective and replaced it with a new one. I used it for a few months without issue. During this time I scaled back how often I used the SoClean with it as I was leery that the SoClean could be the root of the issues somehow.

So I went from using the SoClean every day to a couple of times a week. After a few months of this, my replacement Airsense has started making a different noise than the first one. This time it is making a clicking sound when I exhale. I did a search here and found posts by other users who have experienced this same clicking sound, and am planning on checking a few things that other users have suggested. However I am wondering if all this can be traced back to the SoClean.

To be clear, this clicking sound isn't water in the hose. I've been using CPAPs for roughly 15 years and am quite familiar with that issue and how to rectify it. It's just that this is two Airsense 10's that have given me grief, and these are the only two machines that I have used with a SoClean.

Anybody have any insight into this?

RE: Can SoClean damage an Airsense 10? - Jeff8356 - 01-17-2020

There was a recent post here about the Ozone Cleaners.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-How-Turn-off-auto-clean-SoClean?pid=329129#pid329129

Apparently ResMed will no longer cover their machines under warranty if they were used with an Ozone Cleaner.

I'm not aware of any studies to back this up regarding xPAP machines, but Ozone can damage some plastics and rubbers.  The concern seems to be the internal workings of the xPAP machines, the parts we can't see or access.  The air pump (motor) and internal seals, etc.

The generally accepted method of cleaning xPAP equipment is soap and water as recommended by the xPAP manufacturers.

The manufacturers of those ozone cleaners go to great lengths to make people believe that the won't have to clean their equipment anymore if they use the ozone machine.  That's just not true!  Ozone is a sanitizer, not a cleaner.  You would still need to clean your equipment first, then sanitize it.

Bottom line:  If you want your xPAP machine to be covered under warranty, follow the manufacturers recommendation's for care and cleaning.

RE: Can SoClean damage an Airsense 10? - Big Guy - 01-17-2020

I've had my AirSense 10 AutoSet now for almost 16 months. It's as silent as can be. The only noise I do get once in a while, is from my quiet elbow. If I happen to breathe just right, the two small flaps inside the elbow will click. 

The AutoSet being my first CPAP machine, I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of noise. I was pleasantly surprised to find it to be as quiet as it is.

At one time early on in my SA Therapy, I was considering the purchase of a SoClean. I asked this forum about it, and then changed my mind. Glad that I did. I'm doing just great w/o one.

RE: Can SoClean damage an Airsense 10? - Haggisboy - 01-17-2020

Well, the company that sole me my various CPAPs over the years, including the Airsense 10, also sell the SoClean and actually encourage their customers to purchase them. They handle the warranty issues and never blinked when I brought mine in a few months ago. Mind you, I never mentioned I was using a SoClean.

RE: Can SoClean damage an Airsense 10? - harrywr2 - 01-17-2020

Ozone is a corrosive gas. It's how it kills germs. (As a side note bleach is also corrosive)
Unfortunately not all materials are happy being repeatedly exposed to corrosive gases(or liquids for that matter).

RE: Can SoClean damage an Airsense 10? - jaswilliams - 01-17-2020

The clicking from the machine is likely the humidifier chamber, make sure the gasket is seated correctly

RE: Can SoClean damage an Airsense 10? - Sleepster - 01-17-2020

I don't know if the SoClean can hurt the machine, but I do know that it can't help it. It's no substitute for cleaning (as stated by SoClean in their literature) despite the fact that their advertisements seem to mislead the buyer into thinking that it is. We have microbiologists on this forum who tell us that the cleaning with detergent and water is necessary, but the ozone sanitation isn't. So, as they say, let the buyer beware.

(01-17-2020, 12:35 PM)Haggisboy Wrote: Well, the company that sole me my various CPAPs over the years, including the Airsense 10, also sell the SoClean and actually encourage their customers to purchase them.

They make a profit by selling the CPAP machines. They make a profit by selling SoClean machines. Again, let the buyer beware.

Quote:They handle the warranty issues and never blinked when I brought mine in a few months ago. Mind you, I never mentioned I was using a SoClean.

I've seen several posts here on this forum where people have complained about the AirSense making noises, only to be replaced with a new one and have it start making noise. So it could be that there was a bad batch of those machines manufactured and sold. I've had my AirCurve 10 for a few years now. It's the quietest and most reliable CPAP machine I've ever used.