Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines (/Thread-SoClean-other-CPAP-cleaning-machines)

RE: Can SoClean damage an Airsense 10? - Haggisboy - 01-19-2020

I think I've solved the problem, and a big thank you to all of you who pointed to the humidifier chamber as the culprit. I disconnected the SoClean and swapped out the water chamber for a backup I had and the noise is gone and it appears to be working fine.

I also agree with the comment about a possible bad batch of Airsense machines. When I got the first one (the one that was replaced) I noticed that after a night's sleep the humidifier chamber would get stuck and resist removal. I had to really fiddle with it an even use a small tool to pry it loose. I think the plastic housing that held it in place would warp or expand from the warning element in the base. Then what appeared to be the motor started making a loud wheezing sound during use. That's when they replaced it. Fingers crossed that things stay good now. Looks like the SoClean is going to storage for now.

RE: Can SoClean damage an Airsense 10? - Sleeprider - 01-19-2020

While I'm not a fan of SoClean, the contention that a Resmed warranty may be voided with the use of an ozone cleaner appears to be urban legend. I can find no copy of a Resmed warranty that expresses this exclusion. If it isn't in writing and clearly stated to the consumer that the use of an ozone cleaner constitutes abuse or misuse of a product, then it's unenforceable or non-existent.

RE: Can SoClean damage an Airsense 10? - jaswilliams - 01-19-2020

Sleeprider take a look at this it looks like more than urban legend or will be over the coming months it looks like Resmed have released a patient template to limit the Machine Warranty.

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/articles/ozone-policy-initiative_patient-letter.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2R8U7b6vwIQtYLdkD4ydOTX8PvW4DcvVGMv0QRpkSpwuhylJQm23nTN0Q

Edited duplicate.

That is what I wanted to see, but so far, Resmed has not made any update of its online warranty statements, and that nice letter, while hosted by Resmed, has no letterhead. I agree this appears legitimate, but it is inadequate notice. Suppliers are selling ozone sanitizers as a profit item side-by-side with their machine and mask sales. Something has to give. Thanks for posting the letter. I had not seen it.

RE: Can SoClean damage an Airsense 10? - Sleepster - 01-19-2020

(01-19-2020, 01:50 PM)jaswilliams Wrote: Sleeprider take a look at this it looks like more than urban legend or will be over the coming months it looks like Resmed have released a patient template to limit the Machine Warranty.

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/articles/ozone-policy-initiative_patient-letter.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2R8U7b6vwIQtYLdkD4ydOTX8PvW4DcvVGMv0QRpkSpwuhylJQm23nTN0Q

Here's the part relevant to the OP:

ResMed has observed that prolonged and
repeated use of an ozone device may eventually cause internal damage to a ResMed machine, leading to
an increase in motor noise.

RE: Can SoClean damage an Airsense 10? - nohypopneanow - 02-08-2020

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Ozone-Machine

The above is the thread on Ozone Machine Cleaning.

Ozone is a powerful cleaner and sanitizer.  However it should NOT be run through the insides of a CPAP/APAP. 

If you go to the above thread there is additional information and has ideas for using ozone to clean your air tube, mask, and humidifier water pot.

For me, I have had a history of sinus and respiratory infections.

I still wash my air tube (I use a long tubing brush), mask(especially this since I do sneeze into from time to time), and humidifier.  When everything is dried off, I then put all of this into a sealed tub and run my ozone machine inside this tube.  The ozone machine runs 25 minutes and then it sits for two hours.  The ozone (O3) neutralizes back to (O2) and then you open the tub.  There is a definite clean smell when done.  I haven't had any sinus or respiratory infections doing this.

See the above thread if you want to know the details.

Also, I always use the hypo allergenic filters with my machine.
Two reasons: I get to breath cleaner air and my machine is kept cleaner on the inside.
I have stuck with the ResMed #36857. I have tried some generic ones and the ResMed ones seem just a little bit meatier and thicker.

SoClean What are the facts? - Lost Clusters - 04-04-2020

I have tried digging through all the the soclean threads here, but OMG ...  There is a lot of soclean posts there.  A lot of info that does not seem very relevant as to it's effectiveness to kill microbes. 

The only facts I have found here is that:

soclean does not remove dirt and oils, ok, no brainer to me

you can buy a lot of soap and control III for the same money, soap does not kill microbes but control III does, ok

Ozone can damage seals and plastics, makes sense but my brother in-law has used one for a year and a half and has not noticed any damage to the seals in his dreamstation, says the seals look and feel the same as they did when it was new

Is there any information that shows that soclean is not effective at killing microbes?

RE: SoClean What are the facts? - Gideon - 04-04-2020

When SoClean is used as stated in their instructions and in there TV ads, that is that the equipment is cleaned and dried per the manufactures instructions first, It will kill microbes.
It has been known for many years before SoClean that Ozone will deteriorate many things including rubber, silicon, and plastics.
It is also a fact that ResMed has changed their warranty to say the use of ozone-based cleaners/sanitizers voids the warranty on the CPAP.

RE: SoClean What are the facts? - Lost Clusters - 04-04-2020

Thank you for your reply @bonjour, and for your obvious contributions to our community.