Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines (/Thread-SoClean-other-CPAP-cleaning-machines)

RE: SoClean What are the facts? - hegel - 04-04-2020

well I will certainly grant that a SoClean will not disinfect an entire household from corona virus, nor cure it. It will likely disinfect the mask and tubing that a cpap user employs. If someone is sick, of course they will shed germs into the mask when it's used again.

Similarly, if you wash your mask with soap and water, and have corona virus, and then use your mask again--it will once more become a source of germs. so there's no method to stop that from happening.

RE: SoClean What are the facts? - hegel - 04-13-2020

Yes,  SoClean  did not wreck my cpap machines.  and I used it daily. I went through 2 machines but the first was an old, used model and the second was reconditioned. Actually both are still working; when I went on Medicare I was able to get a good price on my current Airsense which I like a lot.

I almost bit on the UV hose cleaner that's out now. It's only $80.00. It's easy to hand wash my mask but the hose is a pain. However reviews suggest that it's fragile and subject to breakage. I may get one anyway.

RE: SoClean What are the facts? - Melman - 04-13-2020

UV is probably the worst method for sanitizing a hose. Efficacy requires direct exposure of interior surfaces to the UV light. Who manufactures and sells this device? I'd like to take a look at it. Just don't post a link. Name of the device will allow me to find it using google.

I found the Lumin bullet. It may be an effective hose sanitizer. The uv source is a tube that is inserted into the hose which is enclosed in a shell to provide protection to the user from the UV. the hose is then pulled through the shell. The light source is held in place by a magnetic field. I'm not sure what assures adequate exposure time since the hose is moved manually. I could find no references to any lab studies showing efficacy.

The big question is, is anything more than mild detergent cleaning necessary? In my opinion, no.
apparently a lot of CPAP users think sanitization of their CPAP will somehow protect them from the virus.

Interesting disclaimer in the user manual for the Lumin bullet. "This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease or medical condition.

RE: SoClean What are the facts? - hegel - 04-14-2020

Well, yeah, the Lumin bullet would have that disclaimer. So would any product like it. If you use the lumin bullet on your cpap and still get herpes, or a cold, or the flu...don't come a-suing.

I think I mentioned that I use a Steripen uv light 'pen' to disinfect drinking water when I backpack. It' s a product that's been around for more than a decade and been used by tens of thousands of hikers and travelers. it has a very solid reputation. I think the technology works.

RE: SoClean What are the facts? - Melman - 04-14-2020

There's no question that UV sterilization works. I used it professionally. But it requires the right wavelength, intensity and exposure time. I can find nothing in literature supplied by lumin that these requirements are met by the bullet. But even if they are, it's not needed. Just as with respect to the steripen, washing with warm water has proven effective for decades for a large number of CPAP users. I don't know that it's tens of thousands but I doubt if that data exists for the steripen either. I have no objection to the use of the bullet it by those who want to. I just see no real benefit.

RE: SoClean What are the facts? - PoolQ - 04-14-2020

since my ignore list is still in place I will address Lost Clusters directly.
First off I am NOT saying that anyone needs this.
Soap and water works just fine.

I have one, I use it every 2-3 days. I love it and have not washed anything but my mask cushions since.
Ozone will kill anything organic that it touches, but it has to touch it and this seems to be the key.
It will not penetrate "films" but then again I have never found a "film" anywhere in my equipment since I started using it. Personally I am good with that.
The SoClean will not and never will provide a hospital or research level of sterilization and it is not intended to. It is a consumer device, but I am sure that everyone here can already see that because it is so obvious.

I started out washing everything with hot water and soap every morning. For me personally and again for every one I am not recommending any one buy this, washing this gear is not something I want to do for the rest of my life. If someone actually enjoys this then great, it's not for me.

Possible solution to So Clean / Airsense 10 problem?? - discon - 04-16-2020

Hi All,

Until I got my new Airsense 10, I was using a Resmed S9 and So Clean without a problem. Yes, I know soap & water is probably better and that there are issues with ozone, but I like the fresh smell and I'm a pretty lazy guy and just don't hand clean my hose, mask and water tank as often as I should.

Anyway, I love my new AS 10, but read about all the issues with So Clean and have been afraid to use it on my new and very quiet machine. I'll probably just continue washing my stuff with soap and water despite my laziness, but I must have too much time on my hands what with stay-at-home isolation, so have been trying to figure out a solution to the problem. Here is what I'm trying - I'm curious if anyone has an opinion about it (other than to just not use the So Clean.)

My solution is to bypass the CPAP machine entirely and just connect the hose, mask and water tank to the So Clean. I got a 22mm OD silicone hose. One end fits into the Climateline (or the regular Slimline) hose and the other fits into the So Clean adapter tank top. I plugged up the second hole in the tank top with a rubber stopper. The small black tube from the So Clean goes into the adapter top as usual. The mask goes into the So Clean as usual. I figure if no ozone enters the CPAP, the only possible damage is to the replaceable parts.

Am I crazy? (Probably yes, for even trying this.) Am I missing something? Does this solution make any sense or am I just wasting my time? Photos below show my setup. Any opinions, criticisms or outright laughter are appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

[attachment=22007][attachment=22008][attachment=22009]

RE: Possible solution to So Clean / Airsense 10 problem?? - PoolQ - 04-16-2020

The way I heard it was that for a while one of the ResMed machines had an issue with the silicone seals and ozone. I am not sure how long ago that was, but pretty sure years ago. ResMed changed material, so as long as you didn't buy some years old machine you should fine.

I don't promise a thing, just saying this is what I read someplace. I use ResMed and soclean without any problems