Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines (/Thread-SoClean-other-CPAP-cleaning-machines)

RE: So clean - Big Guy - 07-26-2020

(07-26-2020, 09:17 PM)hegel Wrote: there's a long thread on this forum about possible mold growth in the elbow of the F30 mask. Frankly, I think my Respify unit may better at addressing this than wet cleaning.

A warm, moist environment encourages the growth of mold and other things.  A warm humidifier paired with a hose seems likely to encourage such growth. Think of your shower.

It'll be two years for me in Sept. since having started CPAP therapy. I keep a very close eye on my hose elbow. It gets a good soaking / swishing in hot water and Dawn dish soap. 

No sign of anything yet.  Cool

RE: So clean - BB63 - 07-27-2020

I'm so glad the whistle has been blown on So Clean and other devices that use reactive oxygen to (allegedly) clean cpap hardware.

The reason these devices do not break down the plastic is because they don't produce enough Ozone to sterilize or to break down the plastic. The reason they don't kill bacteria is because they don't produce enough Ozone to sterilize the CPAP hardware.

It might collect and prevent dust from passing into the cpap hardware though.

I've never seen the inside of the So Clean, but I am sure the high voltage needed to produce ozone isn't very high and that the current drawn by the electrodes is substantial (electric current drawn is directly proportional to the number of molecules of ozone produced). I'm sure the So Clean and others use dimestore ozone generators that only cost a few $$ to produce>>:

Some newer copycats are small and run on batteries, further supporting the hypothesis that these types of machines don't produce much Ozone.

Tell your friends to save their money.

electronic cleaners - Barbara.Levitan - 08-03-2020

Hi!  Does anyone use one of those electronic cleaners I see advertised on Facebook?  Do you like it?

RE: electronic cleaners - jaswilliams - 08-03-2020

I haven’t used on save your money and use just soap and water.

RE: electronic cleaners - SarcasticDave94 - 08-03-2020

I'd echo jaswilliams. Dish soap like Dawn or a similar one with very warm water is all that's normally needed. Ozone cleaner use can void the machine warranty.

RE: electronic cleaners - upsman - 08-03-2020

Agreed. They are completly useless and unnecessary.

There is plenty of information and research available if you're interested, indicating these devices do no more good than just simply cleaning regularly with soap and water.

RE: electronic cleaners - ardenum - 08-03-2020

Is it an ozone cleaner? If yes, you will void your warranty.

RE: electronic cleaners - Barbara.Levitan - 08-03-2020

Thank  you all for your sound advice

RE: electronic cleaners - staceyburke - 08-03-2020

I use one to clean the mask and hose only not the machine. It works well.

RE: electronic cleaners - Barbara.Levitan - 08-03-2020

thank you