Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines (/Thread-SoClean-other-CPAP-cleaning-machines)

RE: SoClean 2 - anyone try this gadget? - PaulaO2 - 10-23-2016

It is not going to do you much good in the hospital. You will be breathing in the same air you are all day. It isn't going to be "cleaning" anything. And once the hospital hears it uses ozone, my bet is they kick it out.

The best thing to do for cleaning equipment in that situation is a little bit of soap, plenty of water, and air drying. Make everyone other than you that handles the mask and machine, make them wear NEW gloves.

Unless that mask is going to be touching wounded skin, the SoClean is useless to you in that situation. And like Sleeprider said, your money is better spent upgrading your machine.

RE: SoClean 2 - anyone try this gadget? - srlevine1 - 10-24-2016

I was looking at the device for superior cleaning and germ control and I was amazed to find that most experience was anecdotal. One blurb claimed that someone, somewhere measured bacterial growth before and after and found the bacteria count less after use. The same result can often be achieved with mild soap and water applied on a religious schedule.

For a lot less money, I found that you can use Control III, a hospital-grade disinfectant, for all external parts, but not the machine itself. Replace the filter often and keep your mask, hose, and water chamber clean. Be careful with the cleaning solution as it can be dangerous if not used as directed.

RE: SoClean 2 - anyone try this gadget? - daddyvortex - 10-24-2016

Thanks for the advice.

I can cancel this order as I have a pre-op panel meeting where such issues would be discussed tomorrow or not open the package and return it. FWIW, I change the hoses frequently and the distilled water in the humidifier daily. The nasal pillow, I wash daily with liquid hand soap as I find that it seals better when not greasy with skin oils. I do have anti-bacterial wash (the brand name escapes me) I bought for disinfection of the hoses etc.

I have never had trouble with colds, flu or visible mold in the hoses/tank even given my relaxed attitude towards cleaning.Thanks

RE: SoClean 2 - anyone try this gadget? - Sleeprider - 10-24-2016

Your cleaning regimen sounds pretty good to me. I think if this method of disinfection was so good, you would see it in use in hospitals, DMEs and other locations where equipment might be distributed to multiple users. That is clearly not the case, and it is not the expense that keeps those organizations from using it, it is the proven efficacy vs proven simple cleaning methods. Good choice DV. Wishing you best of luck, and still would encourage you to look at a newer upgraded machine.

You have a prescription for a CPAP, and many never expire. Ask for a copy, and retain a copy of your old sleep study if you can get it. I recently used my 2008 sleep study to document sleep apnea for a new machine. A brand new Dreamstation Auto with heated hose can be had from Amazon for only $431, and I don't think they will ask for a copy of your Rx. Right or wrong, it's cheap. If you return the Soclean, your net cost is pretty low, and it doesn't get any cleaner than new!

RE: SoClean 2 - anyone try this gadget? - daddyvortex - 10-24-2016

Decided to get a new Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500T11 w/HT humidifier and heated tube on Amazon. I'll return the SoClean 2 since it has shipped and eat any restocking fee. As commenters have noted, nothing's going to be cleaner than a new machine.

Thanks to all.

RE: SoClean 2 - anyone try this gadget? - Sleeprider - 10-24-2016

Still looking for the LIKE button ^^

RE: SoClean 2 - anyone try this gadget? - BadGoodDeb - 10-24-2016

(10-24-2016, 09:00 AM)daddyvortex Wrote: I have never had trouble with colds, flu or visible mold in the hoses/tank even given my relaxed attitude towards cleaning.Thanks

For what it's worth, I would NOT call that a relaxed attitude towards cleaning. You sound like you do a GREAT job at cleaning it.

You don't even wanna hear how relaxed my attitude is.

RE: Soclean check valve keeps filling with water - wnorm - 12-18-2016

As a final update concerning the defective check valve issues: I received a new check valve replacement from So-Clean without charge. I've been using it for about 2 months now without any problem. I suspect that some check valves I had previously ordered from an online shopping site, which shall remain nameless (hint: it's a river ) may have been old, damaged stock. Every valve from that distributor flooded after a few days. BTW, I do know how to set up my equipment properly without causing siphon issues.

RE: SoClean CPAP Cleaner and Sanitizer - eddie willers - 12-23-2016

I buy Ivory Liquid (99 and 44/100% pure) and dilute it 50/50 with distilled water. Works and I am not worried about any residue.

RE: SoClean CPAP Cleaner and Sanitizer - mcsheltie - 12-25-2016

Take a look at the online So Clean reviews. There were to many stating that the company was unresponsive to customer's problems for my comfort.