Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Buying Machine From Amazon - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Buying Machine From Amazon (/Thread-Buying-Machine-From-Amazon)

Pages: 1 2

Buying Machine From Amazon - JDMDSM - 04-29-2017

Hello All,

I was diagnosed with moderate OSA a couple weeks ago and just started a 1 month trial with a DreamStation Auto. After finding out that my sleep clinic wants about $2500 for that device I started looking online. I saw that a lot of online Canadian suppliers have that unit for around $1000. Then I looked on the US Amazon site and found it listed for $339 USD (about $460 CDN)! Clicking on the "Other offers" I saw them for sale as low as $250 USD.

Are these prices normal, or am I missing something here?

RE: Buying Machine From Amazon - OpalRose - 04-29-2017

The offer on Amazon looks legitimate. The "Other" offers listed for a lower price may be used machines.
Read the fine print.

RE: Buying Machine From Amazon - trish6hundred - 04-29-2017

Hi JDMDSM,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you start your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.

RE: Buying Machine From Amazon - tonylkc1668 - 04-29-2017

CPAP machine is a medical device. I prefer to buy from reputiable official CPAP stores. At least, they have after sales support services and quality guaranteed.
Buy CPAP accessories from Amazon is OK but not the main unit.

RE: Buying Machine From Amazon - stanleydean - 04-29-2017

Welcome JD, you will find this forum to be a tremendous help. About a month ago I bought a new DreamStation Auto BiPAP from Amazon and have been very pleased with the machine and with the savings. A new machine will carry very low if any risk, used machines maybe a little more dicey. Also check out some of the suppliers listed by this forum. 

Good luck with your purchase and with your treatment.

Stan

RE: Buying Machine From Amazon - Sleeprider - 04-29-2017

Lots of members have picked up machines on Amazon. You have the Amazon A-Z protection for the purchase and condition of the machine, and most of the sellers are actually authorized dealers. Read about their businesses or contact them to find out if they can service a warranty. It may be worth paying a bit more for someone that can honor the manufacturer warranty since you can't deal with them directly. It's fantastic these deals are available for those that are not insured. It is criminal to charge $2400 for a CPAP.

(04-29-2017, 09:10 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Lots of members have picked up machines on Amazon. You have the Amazon A-Z protection for the purchase and condition of the machine, and most of the sellers are actually authorized dealers. Read about their businesses or contact them to find out if they can service a warranty.  It may be worth paying a bit more for someone that can honor the manufacturer warranty since you can't deal with them directly.  It's fantastic these deals are available for those that are not insured. It is criminal to charge $2400 for a CPAP.

Technical supoort is the major consideration if your machine gets problems.
I will not care to pay more if DME provider can provide good after sales support especially misuse of equipment wiil affect your treatment performance.

RE: Buying Machine From Amazon - Sleeprider - 04-29-2017

(04-29-2017, 10:00 PM)tonylkc1668 Wrote:
(04-29-2017, 09:10 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Lots of members have picked up machines on Amazon. You have the Amazon A-Z protection for the purchase and condition of the machine, and most of the sellers are actually authorized dealers. Read about their businesses or contact them to find out if they can service a warranty.  It may be worth paying a bit more for someone that can honor the manufacturer warranty since you can't deal with them directly.  It's fantastic these deals are available for those that are not insured. It is criminal to charge $2400 for a CPAP.

Technical supoort is the major consideration if your machine gets problems.
I will not care to pay more if DME provider can provide good after sales support especially misuse of equipment wiil affect your treatment performance.

The original poster's DME quoted $2500.  I could buy 6 machines for that price...no technical support is worth that kind of rip-off. Even the online suppliers in our supplier list won't charge more than $900 for a Resmed or Philips Auto.  Now that I can probably get behind since they are legitimate DMEs, but if it's my dime, I'm saving the money and have purchased machines off Craigslist and never had a problem.  You of course are welcome to pay as much as you want, but me thinks you're insured or have money to burn.

It is ok if your DME is a legitimate provider

In Hong Kong, the selling price of Dreamstation Auto is US$2500 plus US$580 for optional humidifer, 3-4 times higher than buying in US online store. Everybody purchases it from US. Of course, you need to find your own way to ship the unit outside US.

RE: Buying Machine From Amazon - Hydrangea - 04-30-2017

I think this just goes to show how corrupt the insurance *business* and healthcare *business* is. Makes me wonder how much it actually costs to produce/manufacture a xPAP.

My cost-share through my insurance is about the same as (but a tad less than) what it costs on Amazon. If my insurance required compliance, I would've opted to just buy from Amazon (since it's about the same price).