Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Periodic breathing, and higher pressures - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Periodic breathing, and higher pressures (/Thread-Periodic-breathing-and-higher-pressures)

Periodic breathing, and higher pressures - Hockenberry - 04-30-2017

10 days ago I raised my pressure to, 16.5 cm h2o, A/HI has gone down, hovering either side of 1, and I haven't had any snores, VS or VS2. Previously VS was rare and VS2 was rampant. The weird thing, is I'm seeing an increase in periodic breathing, as in more and longer events. Is the increase in PB, a result of the higher pressure? I'm not very concerned about it, I'm sure my heart is fine. I have an oximeter on order, and will soon be able to check saturation levels, but, I am curious, and would like to see your thoughts on the subject.    
                                                                                             Thanks

RE: Periodic breathing, and higher pressures - Beej - 04-30-2017

How much time out of the night does the periodic breathing happen?

RE: Periodic breathing, and higher pressures - Hockenberry - 04-30-2017

(04-30-2017, 11:46 AM)Beej Wrote: How much time out of the night does the periodic breathing happen?

The highest since I started using SleepyHead, Jan 9, is 7.64% and it doesn't happen every night, but more than half.

RE: Periodic breathing, and higher pressures - Sleeprider - 05-01-2017

(04-30-2017, 03:29 AM)Hockenberry Wrote: 10 days ago I raised my pressure to, 16.5 cm h2o, A/HI has gone down, hovering either side of 1, and I haven't had any snores, VS or VS2. Previously VS was rare and VS2 was rampant. The weird thing, is I'm seeing an increase in periodic breathing, as in more and longer events. Is the increase in PB, a result of the higher pressure? I'm not very concerned about it, I'm sure my heart is fine. I have an oximeter on order, and will soon be able to check saturation levels, but, I am curious, and would like to see your thoughts on the subject.    
                                                                                             Thanks

Turn off VS2 in Sleepyhead...meaningless. 
Return to a pressure that did not cause periodic breathing and produced satisfactory AHI.
Stop looking at data too much.  Once a week is fine once AHI is under 2.

RE: Periodic breathing, and higher pressures - srlevine1 - 05-01-2017

Do you have any difficulty breathing? Swollen ankles? Fluid retention? Periodic breathing has been associated with CHF (Congestive Heart Failure). I saw episodes of PB (listed as Cheyne-Stokes Breathing on my ResMed machine), saw the doctor, was given a mild diuretic for a period of time -- and no more PB.

There was a slight fluid overload because I was chugging more water in anticipation of blood draws (1 unit every month for polycythemia -- possibly caused by de-satting at night and making more red blood cells to compensate.)

It might be smart just to record a few episodes on #Sleepyhead and fax them to your doc for a quick look.

RE: Periodic breathing, and higher pressures - SideSleeper - 05-01-2017

Hockenberry, have you done the research to see exactly what the waveform for CSR looks like? Do you have a complete flatline between the oval shaped forms? My PR 560 machine gives me almost 100% false readings--when I look at what it is calling CSR's they aren't---breathing doesn't flat line between the incidents of the breaths and no apneas, CA or OA, between them. I checked this out with my sleep doctor last week at my annual visit. since I do have some known heart problems I was concerned at first, but kind of ignore them now.

RE: Periodic breathing, and higher pressures - Hockenberry - 05-02-2017

(05-01-2017, 11:17 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: Do you have any difficulty breathing? Swollen ankles? Fluid retention? Periodic breathing has been associated with CHF (Congestive Heart Failure). I saw episodes of PB (listed as Cheyne-Stokes Breathing on my ResMed machine), saw the doctor, was given a mild diuretic for a period of time -- and no more PB.

There was a slight fluid overload because I was chugging more water in anticipation of blood draws (1 unit every month for polycythemia -- possibly caused by de-satting at night and making more red blood cells to compensate.)

It might be smart just to record a few episodes on [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] and fax them to your doc for a quick look.

No, I just saw my Dr. last week, and he said my heart is strong, I just received my oximeter, so I'll be able to check O2 levels. I'm dropping min. pressure .5 tonight, to see if it changes, anything.

RE: Periodic breathing, and higher pressures - Hockenberry - 05-02-2017

(05-01-2017, 11:52 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: Hockenberry, have you done the research to see exactly what the waveform for CSR looks like?  Do you have a complete flatline between the oval shaped  forms?  My PR 560 machine gives me almost 100% false readings--when I look at what it is calling CSR's they aren't---breathing doesn't flat line between the incidents of the breaths and no apneas, CA or OA, between them.  I checked this out with my sleep doctor last week at my annual visit.  since I do have some known heart problems I was concerned at first, but kind of ignore them now.

I just saw my Dr. last week and he checked out my heart. I've read quite a few threads about PB, and I going by what I see in SleepyHead, supplied by my SD card. I don't see a flat line, between waves.

RE: Periodic breathing, and higher pressures - ajack - 05-02-2017

I know you are concerned, but google it, it's normal for people have some periodic breathing while sleeping.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=10902