Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Insurance compliance question - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Insurance compliance question (/Thread-Insurance-compliance-question)

Pages: 1 2 3

Insurance compliance question - jodiramm - 09-05-2012

Hello Everyone! I have to ask a question that may be kind of silly. I struggle with insomnia and i have now been with the CPAP for a month now and have slept under 4 hours 3 times in this amount of time and the compliance is that for 2 months i use the machine 70% of the time, and i was told that meant at least 4 hours a night. Oh boy, i guess that means i better make sure i stay in bed hooked up this next month for 4 hours no matter what?

RE: Insurance compliance question - PaulaO2 - 09-05-2012

You answered your own question.

Insurance compliance is rarely, if ever, flexible.

You could ask for an extension now, before it is too late.

RE: Insurance compliance question - JudgeMental - 09-05-2012

Welcome..my lazy mans math tellsl me that you have 6 days left of your 70% requirement toward compliance. It appears to me that as Paula has suggested, (ask for extension or discuss this w/ doctor) or you dedicate your efforts to stay on the mask for a longer period of time. If you stay on the mask longer and sleep better then perhaps the insomnia will begin to fade or ease. Good Luck

RE: Insurance compliance question - big_dave - 09-05-2012

Are you saying that you used your machine for less than 4 hours for three nights, and more than 4 hours for the rest of the month? That is 90% compliance. It sounds like you are doing well.

If all else fails, you can use your machine while reading or watching TV. The machine can't tell if you're asleep or awake, and this helps for getting used to the machine.

RE: Insurance compliance question - JudgeMental - 09-05-2012

I knew I shouldn't have skipped math class that day. Dielaughing

RE: Insurance compliance question - jodiramm - 09-05-2012

Thank you all so much! My math is horrible, but i did indeed just get in the rest of my time reading to get my 4 hours in. I am just going to be extra careful for now on.

Just for general information, do they actually want 4 hours each night or just a certain total amount of hours during the 2 month 'trial'? So, say, in 60 days, an average of 8 hrs a night (math ain't my thing either!) that'd be 480 hrs total. So you need 70% of that? But with that equation, 4 hrs a night would be 50%....

Meanwhile, discuss with the sleep doc about your insomnia issues.

Google 'sleep hygiene' as well. I've had insomnia for, like, nearly all of my life. I've even taken sleep hygiene classes and had sleep counseling.

RE: Insurance compliance question - PollCat - 09-05-2012

(09-05-2012, 12:54 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I've had insomnia for, like, nearly all of my life.

Well, that certainly explains your strange pattern for being on the forums at odd times during the night! Bigwink

RE: Insurance compliance question - jodiramm - 09-05-2012

When i picked up my equipment i had a form i had to sign and it stated that "if by the end of two months, you have used the CPAP at least 70% (equating to 4 hours per night), your insurance will reauthorize the unit for the additional rental period". At the end of the rental period, the people i got the equipment with will then convert the CPAP to a purchase and my insurance will no longer be billed. "If by the end of two months, you have not used the CPAP at least 70%, your insurance will not reauthorize the unit" and then i would either be billed for it or have to take it back to them.