Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Benifits of nasal pillow + mouth headgear? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Benifits of nasal pillow + mouth headgear? (/Thread-Benifits-of-nasal-pillow-mouth-headgear)

Benifits of nasal pillow + mouth headgear? - CPAPreturnee - 05-08-2017

Having found several types of the triangled shaped face masks (Quattro Air, resmed, respironics) giving me problem with uncomfortable fit, especially across the nose and against my chin, I bought the Respironics comfort gel nasal headgear which despite being assured it was sized correctly was very uncomfortable after a week use following vendor and online suggestions (blue gel was not comfort fit)..

I then tried the Resmed Mirage swift II nasal pillow, which seemed to get the AHI down to 12-13 (yeah, not good but moving lower!).  Experimented with medium and large nasal pillow sizes finding the large worked best spite pillow edges rubbing under my nose.  But I found that I am burping air out my mouth periodically when machine sends out a high pressure shot.

I found on line InnoMed/RespCare hybrid mask and Resmed Mirage Liberty Mask Frame that combines the nasal pillow and mouth piece.  This would seem to be the best solution for avoiding nose bridge discomfort and gets air into my nose/mouth.  There may be other vendors with similar masks but I have not googled further for them.

Is this nasal + mouth a good solution? Is it effective?  Comfort level compared to traditional masks?   How do I size it as the mirage comes in various frame and pillow sizes and does not appear to have interchangeable nasal pieces (if I buy its mine).  I know the saying "it depends".

RE: Benifits of nasal pillow + mouth headgear? - Gideon - 05-08-2017

Welcome to the forum.

First, if you have not done so already, please read the Mask Primer (see my sig).  Lots of ideas there.

Try the Amara View, it is a hybrid/FFM the does NOT sit on the bridge of the nose.

With the difficulty you are seeing I'll suggest mask liners to ease your comfort.

RE: Benifits of nasal pillow + mouth headgear? - CPAPreturnee - 05-09-2017

Thank you, I will re-read the mask primer again for more tips.

(My reply copied from another thread and pasted here)
Murphy law.
Last night I slept using a nasal pillow headgear.  Only woke up once for bathroom.  No air blowing in my eyes, no burping air that I could detect during lighter sleep times, face comfortably positioned on pillow.  This morning I was so refreshed I felt I could run the Boston Marathon.  My AHI was 29+, large leaks detected etc.

Contrast last week with full face mask. Air was in my eyes, mask poking me awake, requiring re-positioning to reduce nose bridge pain, going to bathroom 2-3 times a night.  Woke up feeling like a truck had run over me,  taking short afternoon naps (never used to), falling asleep while reading.  But hey AHI was 12 or less.

Conclusion, better to be miserable and have a low AHI than full almost 8 hours refreshing sleep with high AHI!

Too-funny

If anyone is interested I could send the SD card file (40mb), but don't know if it could be imported into Sleepyhead for analysis.  Even then it still all comes down to that darn mask perfect fit.

Bonjour,
I checked out your recommendation for the Amara View.  I will check on line to find a company that will take back mask if wrong size.  I already got burned when I used the Repironics Comfort Gel mask guide that showed a medium would be best fit for nasal mask.  Out of pocket $150 later proved it wasn't even close (sorry local DME says, all sales final unless defective).   However I do see some online that have 30 day no question return policy so this might be way to go to get something that works.
Thanks

RE: Benifits of nasal pillow + mouth headgear? - Gideon - 05-09-2017

FYI you can purchase just the pillow section of a mask for much cheaper.  Within reason the framework will work on multiple "pillows".  Do a little research here, usually supplier 1 has good info.  They also offer return insurance (so do others)

Thanks
(05-09-2017, 09:34 AM)bonjour Wrote: FYI you can purchase just the pillow section of a mask for much cheaper.  Within reason the framework will work on multiple "pillows".  Do a little research here, usually supplier 1 has good info.  They also offer return insurance (so do others)

Thanks BonJour, I will email some of suppliers who stock hybrid masks to see what their return/restock charges are.  Don't care to get burnt again, since the masks I want, insurance won't pay for (only pay for torture not comfort masks.)  I can afford the loss but it will get expensive fast if I keep buying masks that don't work out.

RE: Benifits of nasal pillow + mouth headgear? - PaytonA - 05-09-2017

(05-09-2017, 09:34 AM)bonjour Wrote: FYI you can purchase just the pillow section of a mask for much cheaper.  Within reason the framework will work on multiple "pillows".  Do a little research here, usually supplier 1 has good info.  They also offer return insurance (so do others)

I think that you were referring to nasal pillows but not all other masks have a frame that fits different size cushions. Just did not want anyone to get that impression.

Best Regards,

PaytonA